Search
Register
How Free is your state?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

How Free is your state?  Reply with quote  

NH #1. Live free or die baby! Perhaps with somewhat subjective and arbitrary "rules" but nevertheless here it is:

http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:52 am
Confidential

CA- least free according to their anti-tax, anti-labor, neoliberal definition of "personal freedom."
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:13 am
jakethesnake

Confidential wrote:
CA- least free according to their anti-tax, anti-labor, neoliberal definition of "personal freedom."

Do you disagree? CA passed, then revoked, a bill for allowing same-sex marriage. CA is regressive.

Just because you can walk down the street smoking a blunt and get a slap on the wrist doesn't give the state a free pass. Like I said the definitions seem to be subjective, but are fairly assessed.

Quote:

Contrary to popular perception, California not only taxes and regulates its economy more than most other states, it also aggressively interferes in the personal lives of its citizens. California simply needs to cut government spending. The budgetary categories most out of line with the rest of the country are administration, social services, environment and housing, and “other.” Labor laws are extremely strict, of course; for instance, California is one of only five states to mandate short-term disability insurance. Health-insurance coverage mandates add about 49 percent to the cost of premiums in the state. Eminent-domain reform has been cosmetic, and the state’s liability system almost reaches the abysmal quality of the Deep South’s. On personal freedoms, California does well on same-sex partnerships and marijuana, but it also has the most restrictive gun laws in the country, a highly restrictive policy regime for motorists, and smoking bans. The state’s civil asset-forfeiture regime is arguably the best in the country, apart from North Carolina’s, which has only criminal forfeiture.

Policy Recommendations

Repeal some health-insurance mandated coverages, such as acupuncture, orthotics, IVF, home health care, dental anesthesia, and bone-mass measurement.

Cut state spending in the categories in which spending is well above national averages.

Relax labor laws to boost employment, such as repealing short-term disability and paid family leave mandates.

Simply put, CA has far more laws, regulations, and taxes than most states.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:17 am
redball

#49 on the list and probably the only place I'd move would be to #50. Freedom means different things and I am very much unencumbered by this survey's findings of a lack of freedom.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:57 am
Confidential

jakethesnake wrote:
Confidential wrote:

Do you disagree? CA passed, then revoked, a bill for allowing same-sex marriage. CA is regressive.

Just because you can walk down the street smoking a blunt and get a slap on the wrist doesn't give the state a free pass. Like I said the definitions seem to be subjective, but are fairly assessed.

Quote:

Contrary to popular perception, California not only taxes and regulates its economy more than most other states, it also aggressively interferes in the personal lives of its citizens. California simply needs to cut government spending. The budgetary categories most out of line with the rest of the country are administration, social services, environment and housing, and “other.” Labor laws are extremely strict, of course; for instance, California is one of only five states to mandate short-term disability insurance. Health-insurance coverage mandates add about 49 percent to the cost of premiums in the state. Eminent-domain reform has been cosmetic, and the state’s liability system almost reaches the abysmal quality of the Deep South’s. On personal freedoms, California does well on same-sex partnerships and marijuana, but it also has the most restrictive gun laws in the country, a highly restrictive policy regime for motorists, and smoking bans. The state’s civil asset-forfeiture regime is arguably the best in the country, apart from North Carolina’s, which has only criminal forfeiture.

Policy Recommendations

Repeal some health-insurance mandated coverages, such as acupuncture, orthotics, IVF, home health care, dental anesthesia, and bone-mass measurement.

Cut state spending in the categories in which spending is well above national averages.

Relax labor laws to boost employment, such as repealing short-term disability and paid family leave mandates.

Simply put, CA has far more laws, regulations, and taxes than most states.

Do I disagree that we aren't free? probably not. I was commenting on the political motivations of this survey; clearly business class interests.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:27 pm
jakethesnake

I guess I'm not following. What business benefits from this? Whose political motivations?
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:34 pm
Confidential

The quote that you posted is recommends repealing labor laws, lowering taxes, cutting spending. These are all pro-business mantras. To the working class, this means cutting university funding, firing teachers, raising tuition, cutting medical and cal-works. It isn't hard to find the libertarian agenda motivating this survey - "you can smoke pot and gays should get married just don't tax the wealthy corporations or provide health care for poor people."

Their Board of Directors:All - Board of Directors
John Allison
Board Member
John Allison is a member of the Mercatus Center's Board of Directors. Mr. Allison served as Chairman and CEO of BB&T Corporation from 1989 to December 2009.
Frank Atkinson
Board Member
Frank Atkinson is a member of the Mercatus Center's Board of Directors. He is chairman of McGuireWoods Consulting, LLC, and a partner in McGuireWoods, LLP. His practice focuses on state and local government relations, economic development, privatization and public-private partnerships, education,…

Tyler Cowen
General Director
Professor of Economics, George Mason University
Tyler Cowen is the general director of Mercatus and the Holbert C. Harris Professor of Economics at George Mason University.
Richard Fink
Board Member
Richard Fink is a member of the Mercatus Center's Board of Directors. Mr. Fink is an executive vice president and member of the board of directors of Koch Industries, Inc.
Manuel Johnson
Board Member
Manuel Johnson is a member of the Mercatus Center's Board of Directors.

From 1977 to 1994, Dr. Johnson was a professor of economics at the university, where he held the Koch Chair in International Economics. On the Board of Visitors, he…

Charles Koch
Board Member
Charles Koch is a member of the Mercatus Center's Board of Directors. He is chairman of the board and chief executive officer of Koch Industries, Inc., one of the largest privately held companies in…
Edwin Meese
Board Member
Edwin Meese, III, is a member of the Mercatus Center's Board of Directors. He served as the 75th attorney general of the United States, from February 1985 to August 1988. Prior to serving as attorney general, he was counsellor to President Reagan from…

Menlo Smith
Board Member
Menlo Smith is a member of the Mercatus Center's Board of Directors. He is CEO of Sunmark Capital Corp, headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, and engaged over the years in a variety of businesses with emphasis on manufacturing. Previously he served…
Vernon Smith
Mercatus Center Fellow
Professor of Economics and Law, Chapman University
Board Member, Mercatus Center
Vernon Smith, Nobel Prize winner in economics, 2002, is a Professor of Economics and Law at Chapman University, a Research Scholar at the Interdisciplinary Center for Economic Science, and a Fellow of the Mercatus Center. He also serves on the…

ABOUT: For over 25 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real world problems.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:49 pm
jakethesnake

It definitely has a libertarian twist, that's obvious. New Hampshire has such a high rank because of 0 income and 0 sales tax though, and things like a lack of seatbelt laws, eminent domain laws, cigarett bans, etc. These are liberties that everyone in the state is afforded. Not because we give businesses tax cuts.

Governator Arnold fucked California over (including his mistresses), whether you get the data from Libertarians or not, you can't deny this. If I were you I'd look at this data and be pissed.

edit: and are you trying to say that George Mason university isn't a valid source? You listed a former attorney general and a nobel prize winner on the board of directors. Did you look at it first?

You are forced pay for someone else's In-vitro fertilizations. What is your idea of freedom anyway?
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:22 pm
AdamBomb

Louisiana is among the least free? Where else has a city where bars are open all night and you can carry your drink from bar to bar. Drive through daquiri stands? There's gotta be a few bonus points in there, cmon.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:17 pm
anomaly
Loserface

I couldn't help but think of this....

Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:53 pm
redball

jakethesnake wrote:
You are forced pay for someone else's In-vitro fertilizations. What is your idea of freedom anyway?

My idea of freedom is having the option to make decisions about my family without an insurance company telling me that it's too expensive. It allows a level playing field where not only the rich are able to afford to have a child if they have fertility issues.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:56 pm
AdamBomb

redball wrote:
jakethesnake wrote:

My idea of freedom is having the option to make decisions about my family without an insurance company telling me that it's too expensive. It allows a level playing field where not only the rich are able to afford to have a child if they have fertility issues.

I don't think insurance normally covers this anyway, no? Everyone I know who has had invitro had to shell out some serious $$$
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:16 pm
jakethesnake

redball wrote:
jakethesnake wrote:

Ok, fair enough. What about the right to pump your own gas?

edit: and yes Adambomb most states don't require it to be covered. Hence, in part, why Louisiana is "more free" than New Jersey, based on the assessment.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:18 pm
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

so if they did this same analysis for the world, somalia would top the list, no?
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:22 pm
phataccino

"The right to pump your own gas"? That's really your fall-back? I live in one of only two (I think) states that have laws mandating that gas station employees pump gas instead of motorists. I have never once felt my rights infringed by not being able to pump my own gas. I have, however, found it to be a slight nuisance at times and a great convenience at others.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next