Search
Register
Boom. No more iPods. (Or wallets)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

those are my thoughts too squirtis, unless wireless gets a major upgrade ,depending on a wireless connection to listen to your own music is wack

i listen to music alot and not all of it is at home/or on a computer

and what about driving?

i can see this being good for backup but thats it for now
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:41 pm
redball

That's one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is that it's wack to have to have more than one device to have access to your music. (e.g. carrying a cell phone AND an iPod)

Or it's wack to have to spend money to buy enough storage to have all of your music on your phone. (For instance, I would need a 32GB microSD card, which go for around $60.)

Or it's wack to work somewhere the prohibits MP3 files from their computers but probably doesn't block this service... yet.

Meanwhile, the argument could also be made that cell networks are improving, including 3G coverage while smartphones are getting cheaper and easier to use. The next generation of car stereos will be able to pair with your phone and either stream music over bluetooth or use its network connection to load music from the cloud. I've already used Pandora on a roadtrip before, the only difference is I had to connect my phone. (My car radio supports bluetooth audio but my phone won't output music to bluetooth.)
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:53 pm
bbreakz

I don't like this idea. It will feel like my music collection doesn't belong to me. At least I know with my ipod, I have a hard mp3 on my comp. A CD purchased or burned in case something happens etc.

Plus I like carrying the ipod around.

But I was a slow comer to the Ipod and now I have an iphone with a large chunk of my music on it and I love it.

Last edited by bbreakz on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:54 pm
z-spot22

im rockin one of these bad boys now. guy at Southwest Bell gave me a great deal and only had to sign a 5 year contract! i get 30 day time and 60 night and weekend minutes for only $299 a month. there's one ring tone and 2 totally different pulse tones. and the battery life on a full charge is close to 4 hours! there was and external dial up modem package available but that AOL stuff scares me. it also came with a complimentary rolodex that stores up to 100 hand written contacts or business cards!

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:59 pm
squirtisblow

redball wrote:
That's one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is that it's wack to have to have more than one device to have access to your music. (e.g. carrying a cell phone AND an iPod)

Or it's wack to have to spend money to buy enough storage to have all of your music on your phone. (For instance, I would need a 32GB microSD card, which go for around $60.)

Or it's wack to work somewhere the prohibits MP3 files from their computers but probably doesn't block this service... yet.

Meanwhile, the argument could also be made that cell networks are improving, including 3G coverage while smartphones are getting cheaper and easier to use. The next generation of car stereos will be able to pair with your phone and either stream music over bluetooth or use its network connection to load music from the cloud. I've already used Pandora on a roadtrip before, the only difference is I had to connect my phone. (My car radio supports bluetooth audio but my phone won't output music to bluetooth.)

you're still going to need a device to access all that music, and a phone. unless it's an app on your phone, which then means your phone battery is gonna suck ass. i kind of like the separation there unless they can make better batteries.

i'd rather spend a one time fee then a monthly or yearly recurring fee. and data prices are always going down. by the time wireless networks get further updated prices for drives will be cheeeeap.

having this service on your computer would be nice... but i could just bring my ipod to work.

i use pandora off my phone in my car. i play mp3s from my phone in my car sometimes, but usually i just plug in my ipod to my car.

to be honest i really don't want to have to rely on a network to listen to my music. Cloud could also fuck you if you prefer listening to FLAC audio, as it takes up a lot more space, but i guess home is only place where i'm going to hear the higher resolution in audio quality anyway.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:06 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

bbreakz wrote:
I don't like this idea. It will feel like my music collection doesn't belong to me. At least I know with my ipod, I have a hard mp3 on my comp. A CD purchased or burned in case something happens etc.

But I was a slow comer to the Ipod and now I have an iphone with a large chunk of my music on it and I love it.

You still can download it all if you want. In fact, there will likely one day be a dropbox-like synching that can download the physical file to correspond with additions to the cloud space. I don't need physical CDs and don't want them, frankly.

But this way, your iPhone doesn't have "a large chunk" of your music, it can have all of it.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:14 pm
redball

It's already an app on your phone. That's how it's coming at release. Now then, it might never be an app on _your_ phone, if your phone is an Apple product because they would much rather that you pay them $100 extra to double the storage on your phone.

As for apps and battery life... Three things are happening there. First is that the next generation of smartphone architectures promise better battery life by consuming less energy. So the processor and chipset itself will require less, and they'll be faster so apps like this and pandora will take significantly less energy.

Second is that app development has a lot to do with this. Ideally an app like this would only need the same resources as it takes to both download a file and play a file. Apps like Pandora currently take more resources than that.

Third is that battery technology is getting better. So at the same time that smartphones are using less energy and apps are being improved to use less of the phones resources battery technology is constantly getting better and cheaper.

I agree with Icarus... once cloud storage prices drop for services like this it will seem all too convenient. As you obtain music either it'll automatically be in the cloud or you'll drop it there, then your entire collection is stored locally wherever you want and available OTA. That's the killer feature. If you just want a backup service you can get that elsewhere for cheaper on a $/GB scale.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:33 pm
Asterax

I follow digital trends pretty closely (at least when I am not abroad) and this isn't appealing to me personally and the way I listen to music.

As someone who was downloading MP3s from Limewire in 2000 during middle school, I have experienced a peculiar phenomenon since then: I download an entire album one year, it gets deleted/hard drive crash, I forget that I had it and re-download it again years later. For me, the ease and accessibility of obtaining "more music" has actually decreased my listening experience because I have lost the value of having music in the first place. Its just 10-12 .MP3 files, 1 .M3U files and 1-2 album art .JPEGs.

I received a 3rd Generation iPod in 2003, but it eventually died in 2008. I have not had an MP3 player until I purchased my Droid Incredible in 2010.

Right now, I find it more enjoyable to listen to the Pandora Android app with my unlimited Verizon data plan right or to just listen to the music from immediate environment (cars, cafe radios, clubs, etc). I have learned that "more music" does not equate to a "better" listening experience. I prefer to be guided by Pandora's recommendations and my own ability to dislike/like a song to listen to music.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:40 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Will I be able to buy YouTube songs from AmazonMP3 and have it uploaded directly to my cloud without ever putting it on my computer?

Will everything in the future be in a cloud?

This is like working all week, getting direct deposit, and always using a Visa check card... I don't feel like I own my money.

This... I don't feel like I'd own my music.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:42 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i guess we'll just haveta wait and see what happens huh

as of now im comfy with my musics setup

and thats that!
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:53 pm
futuristxen

Yeah this one was pretty easy to call. Eventually everything will be stored in the could. This will probably also spell the end of the home computer as we know it as well. More people are going to be using tablet type devices I think.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:13 pm
bbreakz

icarus502 wrote:
bbreakz wrote:

You still can download it all if you want. In fact, there will likely one day be a dropbox-like synching that can download the physical file to correspond with additions to the cloud space. I don't need physical CDs and don't want them, frankly.

But this way, your iPhone doesn't have "a large chunk" of your music, it can have all of it.

All good points. I have 32GB phone and I have wow, about 16 on there. I love the idea of having all the music acceptable but it would take me months to get it all burnt and then get it onto a site.

I simply don't have the time to commit to putting all the music I own onto my own itunes nevermind another site.

But I still like having the physical CD and or Vinyl, that hasn't changed for me. So I differ on that point.

I also commit every free DL i get to a hard CD. I like having a physical copy. Comforting.

I completely see where you are coming from though. DJs might like this more than they like have huge GB hard drives.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:16 pm
Asterax

futuristxen wrote:
Eventually everything will be stored in the could. This will probably also spell the end of the home computer as we know it as well. More people are going to be using tablet type devices I think.

Maybe you are just referring to the end of the home computer because of the shift towards table devices, but cloud computing will not be the end of the home computer.

I've heard this said a few times before in tech blogs and podcasts, but no. Haha, no.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:21 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

The SaaS model is too profitable (as proven by MMORPG gaming genre and WoW specifically) for technology to trend anywhere else. Storage and memory are cheap, it's cheap to sell (almost all of the business is returning customers), etc. so the profit margin stays large. It's cheaper to support as everything is centrally located in a single environment that is controlled. There really are few downfalls. Security, and access points being some, the latter not so much anymore.

The company I just left is releasing a cloud-based software version within the next year. The company I currently work for is doing the same next month.

And yeah, home computers aren't going anywhere, at least for awhile.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:21 pm
squirtisblow

i guess i'm just not too keen on depending on another company to provide me a continual service when i could just have an mp3 player. my music catalog isn't that big, ~100 gigs. It won't be long before there are 500 GB sd cards (this is personal conjecture, though.)

i don't want to be locked into another contract when what we have works fine.

This will be the future, i'm just going to be a stubborn bastard about it i guess.

What about when i go to the other side of the earf!? I think it's only going to be a first world cloud.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:34 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next