Boom. No more iPods. (Or wallets)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

icarus502
kung-pwn master

Boom. No more iPods. (Or wallets)  Reply with quote  

Well, not yet.
I've been waiting on this, though.
Amazon Cloud Player where we store all of our music on the cloud with android and web access and not have to carry around digital storage like it's the '00s. They're giving the first 5GB for free and all Amazon-purchased music is stored free. But they're charging a lot for heavy storage. $200/year for 200GB? Eff that. But it will get cheaper and reasonable and no more iPods.

Last edited by icarus502 on Thu May 26, 2011 4:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:06 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Am I the only person in America who doesn't own a smart phone?
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:11 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

No. But you will. We'll just call them "phones" in a few years.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:20 pm
Captiv8

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
Am I the only person in America who doesn't own a smart phone?

Nope. I'm still rocking what appears to be an obsolete phone, sans gadgetry.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:30 pm
redball

From the death of CDs thread:

redball wrote:
It's like Amazon was listening in.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382736,00.asp

Quote:

Amazon Unveils Cloud-Based Music Service for Web, Android
By Chloe Albanesius0digg

Amazon on Tuesday unveiled its new cloud-based music service, which will provide users with up to 5GB of free, online music storage.
The company is offering Amazon Cloud Drive, Amazon Cloud Player for Web, and Amazon Cloud Player for Android, all of which will let users upload their music collections to the cloud and access those songs on Android phones and tablets, as well as the PC and Mac.
No word on an iOS version, but Amazon recently launched an Amazon Appstore, so it's focus at the moment is likely on the Google-owned platform.
Amazon will provide users with 5GB of free storage. Those who purchase an album via Amazon's MP3 store will get 20GB of free storage for one year; albums purchased via Amazon MP3 are automatically added to Amazon's cloud service and do not count against a user's storage quota. Additional storage plans start at $20 per year, Amazon said.
Users can upload songs in AAC or MP3 formats, and can select certain songs, artists, or albums, or just upload the entire music library.
"The launch of Cloud Drive, Cloud Player for Web and Cloud Player for Android eliminates the need for constant software updates as well as the use of thumb drives and cables to move and manage music," Bill Carr, vice president of Movies and Music at Amazon, said in a statement.
"Our customers have told us they don't want to download music to their work computers or phones because they find it hard to move music around to different devices," Carr continued.
Amazon's Cloud Player for Web is accessible on PCs and Macs, and works with Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. Cloud Player for Android, meanwhile, is bundled into the latest version of the Amazon MP3 app, which has the full Amazon MP3 store and the cloud player.
Amazon Cloud Drive, meanwhile, allows users to upload more than music, including photos, videos, and documents. This service also provides 5GB of free storage and 20GB starting at $20 per year.
Rumors about an Amazon music service picked up this weekend, as did reports about a similar service from Google. With the launch of its service, however, Amazon beats Google - and Apple - in introducing its cloud-based music service.
Ever since its December 2009 purchase of Lala, there have been rumors about a cloud-based music service from Apple. Earlier this month, there were reports that Apple was negotiating with record companies for a system that would allow users to access music downloaded from the App Store on an unlimited number of iOS devices, but nothing has been announced. On Monday, there were also rumors that Apple was preparing to launch a revamped version of its cloud-based content storage service, MobileMe, featuring a "locker" for music.

Also, if you buy an MP3 album now you can get a 20GB plan for a year free.
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/49187
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:34 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

can you load your cds into it?
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:41 pm
redball

Yes you can. You have to rip them in MP3 or AAC format first, though.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:43 pm
squirtisblow

can you do a library share from a friend's account? this would be cool. or i could share my own library with a friend.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:54 pm
redball

Judging by what I know about Copyright law and similar services, I'm going to guess that such sharing won't ever be official. Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone figured out a way to do it.

As it stands this service is probably only safe from suit because of Cablevision's remote DVR case.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/06/cablevision-remote-dvr-stays-legal-supremes-wont-hear-case.ars
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:45 pm
squirtisblow

this basically means you need to be connected all the time, though. or need some sort of service to reach the server.

it's not like hard drives are restraining in anyway. i mean, it's not far off that phones will have hundreds of gigs on them by default... this is cool, but i would think you'd need a massive library to get real use from it, which is why i bring up the concept of being able to just connect to someone else's library.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:56 pm
redball

No. While I haven't tried this, because I have Dropbox, I'm guessing it works like Dropbox in that you make a change on one computer and when it's connected it will sync with the server, adding and removing files in the background. On your mobile device you'd always need a connection, but that's becoming more and more frequent these days.

Non-connected mobile devices like iPods will be left out, but that's why Icarus titled the thread as such.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:04 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

redball wrote:
No. While I haven't tried this, because I have Dropbox, I'm guessing it works like Dropbox in that you make a change on one computer and when it's connected it will sync with the server, adding and removing files in the background. On your mobile device you'd always need a connection, but that's becoming more and more frequent these days.

Non-connected mobile devices like iPods will be left out, but that's why Icarus titled the thread as such.

Yeah. I don't see a future anymore for non-connected mobile devices like the Zune and iPod Classic. Especially if new phone/device-things operate with two-way hard drive space (for, say, airline usage or travel to other countries). It's still a battery issue, of course.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:12 pm
AirTreesWaterAnimals

I'm excited about this but the potential (likely?) AT&T and T-Mobile merger puts a damper on that enthusiasm. I'm happy to have more and more data in the cloud but wireless carriers have enormous potential to exploit this. I don't see access getting any more affordable with this transition.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:29 pm
squirtisblow

icarus502 wrote:
redball wrote:

Yeah. I don't see a future anymore for non-connected mobile devices like the Zune and iPod Classic. Especially if new phone/device-things operate with two-way hard drive space (for, say, airline usage or travel to other countries). It's still a battery issue, of course.

but that means you would probably have to pay for a monthly service for your device.... am i missing something here? a lot of places don't have connection. like the bathroom stall at my work.... rather have an ipod. or when traveling to different countries (where my ipod has gotten a lot of use.) My buddies have a terrible time just getting phone service at our own house from at&t...

I guess i could use cloud for my everyday life when i have connection, like driving to work, unless i go through a tunnel.

i guess i just see the convenience of having the hard drive on you instead of being dependent on a connection. It's not like the hard drive is in the way at all...
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:29 pm
Eric B

You could just use wireless at home or the office instead of the crappy phone network.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:37 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next