Search
Register
The New Rolling Movie Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

smake

I am probably missing something, but The Spirit was one of the worst movies I have seen the last few years. Completely baffled me. It looked nice, but it was so incredibly bizar, I found it really difficult to sit through. I know, it was meant to be that way, the acting was supposed to be over the top, etc. But wow, that was one bad movie in my opinion.

On the other hand, I liked 300 and Watchmen and will probably like Sucker Punch. Sin City tops them though.

But The Spirit, wow. Crank 2 might have been a bit worse now I think of it...
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:31 am
Captiv8

Watched A Boy and His Dog last night. I thought it was an apocalyptic and positivist take on Old Yeller, which means I liked it. I thought the apocalypse itself could have been more bleakly portrayed, but that's a quibble. I would also have liked some kind of explanation on why the Down Under people had their faces painted. Not a bad little lo-fi movie, and the ending was especially nice. She was a jerk anyway, and now I want my own dog to talk to me.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:42 pm
futuristxen

Yeah a Boy and His dog is fun.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:17 pm
futuristxen

Most of the people who liked the Spirit as much as I did are my comic book artist friends.

If you get jacked into modern weird Frank Miller, the Spirit is very much in that All-Star Batman and Robin world.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:21 pm
Confidential

Has anyone seen Black August, about George Jackson and the Black Guerilla Army? I'm looking forward to watching this.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:34 pm
Captiv8

I'm normally not a fan of Daniel Tosh, but his breakdown of the Human Centipede that I stopped to watch while I was responding to e-mails was hilarious. Apparently the epic 24-minute version is online at Comedy Central's site.
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:02 pm
mancabbage

Watched submarine, really good.. Rains in every scene and looks bleak as fuck but still really funny and warming without it going to far onto werthers originals old man territory. Also watched new ken loach film route Irish bout crazy retired soldiers. Was pretty fucking average, I'd avoid... One of you go watch gordos though, that was a nice movie

Has anyone seen ballast? Was gona check it but didn't have time
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:23 pm
Captiv8

Sarcastro wrote:
ooh I want on board on the Zack Snyder hate. Dawn was amazing and everything since then has been sooooooooo fucking boring.

300 was boring
how were people even mildly entertained, everything was slow, the fighting wasn't actually good, it had the pacing of a fuckin video game...well they fought 1000 soldiers in level one, let's take a break and now get them to fight the rhinos in lvl 2, then a break and then magicians in lvl 3. UGH
and the whole time it felt like he was trying to bite Robert Rodriguez's style from Sin City but forgot that there's more to his style than just the look

Watchmen had a great intro and then was awful from that point on.

fuck zack snyder

Given this, I came across this article from the Daily Beast about how much Zack Snyder and Sucker Punch, well, suck.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-03-27/sucker-punch-why-fanboys-have-turned-on-zack-snyder/?cid=hp:beastoriginalsR1
Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:07 pm
neveragainlikesheep

Animal Kingdom
Post Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:23 am
ROTTY

neveragainlikesheep wrote:
Animal Kingdom

Very good movie. Although i had a small issue with the main kid. I know that his character was meant to be very withdrawn but it got to the point where i honestly thought that a twist would be that he had a form of autism.

That is my only issue with this movie and its not really an issue.
Post Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:55 am
Self Conscious

neveragainlikesheep wrote:
Animal Kingdom

i just got this from netflix yesterday, might watch it tonight, either that or never let me go
Post Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:16 pm
kevruckus
GOLEM

mancabbage wrote:

Has anyone seen ballast? Was gona check it but didn't have time

Ballast is really really great.
Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:50 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Self Conscious

what does everybody think about directors (cameron and jackson) pushing for higher frame rates in films?

This quote is from peter jackson on it:
"Film purists will criticize the lack of blur and strobing artifacts, but all of our crew–many of whom are film purists–are now converts. You get used to this new look very quickly and it becomes a much more lifelike and comfortable viewing experience. It’s similar to the moment when vinyl records were supplanted by digital CDs. There’s no doubt in my mind that we’re heading towards movies being shot and projected at higher frame rates. Warner Bros. have been very supportive, and allowed us to start shooting THE HOBBIT at 48 fps, despite there never having been a wide release feature film filmed at this higher frame rate. We are hopeful that there will be enough theaters capable of projecting 48 fps by the time The Hobbit comes out where we can seriously explore that possibility with Warner Bros. However, while it’s predicted that there may be over 10,000 screens capable of projecting THE HOBBIT at 48 fps by our release date in Dec, 2012, we don’t yet know what the reality will be. It is a situation we will all be monitoring carefully. I see it as a way of future-proofing THE HOBBIT. Take it from me–if we do release in 48 fps, those are the cinemas you should watch the movie in. It will look terrific!"

here's a very good article that explains a lot about films and higher frame rates:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/04/08/frame-wars/
Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:34 pm
Self Conscious

for people into docs, Karamay sounds really interesting. Its about the "12/08/94 Incident' in which 323 people died, 288 of them schoolchildren, in a fire that broke out in the cheaply constructed and illegally modified Friendship Theatre in the oil company town of Karamay in far northwestern Xinjiang province. Because the children died obeying instructions to remain seated so that inebriated Communist Party cadres could escape first, the government hastily assured the bereaved that the victims would receive "national martyr" status--one of many promises that it didn't keep. The children didn't even receive death certificates, which left them nameless. Instead, the parents of the dead children were subjected to firings, surveillance, ostracism, arrest and even beatings when they conducted their own investigation and petitioned for reparations. Director Xu Xin visits the victims' families on the 13th anniversary of the tragedy and witnesses their still explosive rage and recriminations. "

Only thing is that it clocks in at 6 hours and as of now it is not available in the US.
Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:43 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

Self Conscious wrote:
what does everybody think about directors (cameron and jackson) pushing for higher frame rates in films?

This quote is from peter jackson on it:
"Film purists will criticize the lack of blur and strobing artifacts, but all of our crew–many of whom are film purists–are now converts. You get used to this new look very quickly and it becomes a much more lifelike and comfortable viewing experience. It’s similar to the moment when vinyl records were supplanted by digital CDs. There’s no doubt in my mind that we’re heading towards movies being shot and projected at higher frame rates. Warner Bros. have been very supportive, and allowed us to start shooting THE HOBBIT at 48 fps, despite there never having been a wide release feature film filmed at this higher frame rate. We are hopeful that there will be enough theaters capable of projecting 48 fps by the time The Hobbit comes out where we can seriously explore that possibility with Warner Bros. However, while it’s predicted that there may be over 10,000 screens capable of projecting THE HOBBIT at 48 fps by our release date in Dec, 2012, we don’t yet know what the reality will be. It is a situation we will all be monitoring carefully. I see it as a way of future-proofing THE HOBBIT. Take it from me–if we do release in 48 fps, those are the cinemas you should watch the movie in. It will look terrific!"

here's a very good article that explains a lot about films and higher frame rates:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/04/08/frame-wars/

Can't really comment on this until seeing it, but I'll be more interested when people like Martin Scorsese are doing it. As for digital filmmaking...at best it's indecipherable from film (David Fincher is good at this), at worst it looks glassy and austere.
Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next