Search
Register
Any redditors here?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

b. dolan
FBI agent

Not to spam this thread, but they tell me this is #16 on Reddit videos?

http://redd.it/n9yio

20,000 views on Day 1! Spare an upvote if you have a moment.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:04 am
metachronos

man lous ck is gaining karma like a motherfucker
Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:36 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

so is reddit basicly a super forum?
Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:56 pm
mancabbage

yep. It has subsections of everything you can imagine, you get to them by putting /r/randomthing after the url, you can then "subscribe" to them so that they appear on your front page - when you've done that enough with all the shit you're interested in it basically replaces what the front page looks like to a logged out user

so like www.reddit.com/r/climbing is a forum dedicated to climbing, but it appears on my frontpage cos i subscribe

some good ones : askscience, hiphopheads, todayilearned, gaming, philosophy, photoshop, there is probably one for your city too

its a really good site once you cut out the noise
Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:15 pm
xGasPricesx

Not that reddit has ever really been the bastion of progressivism it often likes to claim it is, but holy shit have things really gone down the shitter in the past year or two. Take this thread for example: http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/uyijs/brutal_honesty/

As I post this, the thread has 449 upvotes and 239 downvotes. That isn't an incredibly high ratio, but considering the post title, the content of the video itself, and many of the most upvoted comments within it, it is still way too fucking high. The overtly racist propaganda that is being spewed and upvoted consistently in this thread is fucking insane, and there have been plenty like it in recent months. Maybe sites like Stormfront have organized quite effectively recently to hi-jack the more baser subreddits on the site, but even still there is so much racist shit being spewed out while claiming the name of rationality, I find it hard to believe it's all coming from those places.

I've tried to go in and offer some different perspectives on the matters and challenge a lot of the assumptions people are making about the "facts" they are putting out there, and have even done so in a very reasonable and factually backed way. But even my most middle of the road comments have just as many downvotes as they do upvotes at this point.

This shit is getting out of hand, and it seems a lot of middle/upper middle class white boys are buying into this shit like no other, which is incredibly disheartening to watch. I know as one of those incredibly privileged individuals myself how much of a hold that subtle, and sometimes not-so-subtle, racism has on those parts of our countries, but this shit is just fucking insane. I really hope that by the time I wake up in the morning, that this shit has been downvoted into oblivion, but I'm certainly not holding my breath. Nor does it erase the massive amounts of the "I'm not a racist, but..." comments seen in that thread. I know many parts of the internet have huge problems with racism, and reddit hasn't ever really been too far above that, but it has been getting a lot worse recently.

If anybody has the patience and the time, I hope you will go into this thread or threads like it and try to spit some knowledge in hopes of pushing some of the misguided privileged kids more to the side of acceptance. But I certainly won't blame you if you just can't even be bothered to with shit like this.

(Also, look out for comments by users like CharlestheHammer and FratrickSwayze in particular. As well as the OP of the thread, who keeps trying to conceal his racist agenda by claiming all the problems are caused by "black culture", which is a pretty ridiculous way to try to claim you aren't racist in the first place)
Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:21 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Detroiting.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:20 am
xGasPricesx

T-Wrex wrote:
Detroiting.

Ha, right? Motherfuckers have no historical context.

Jay Smooth has been my guiding light within that thread though.

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:40 am
Plum Puddin'

The internet has always been a haven for scumbags.

It’s a freak show. That’s kind of why we love it.

It lets us sit at home in our undies, covered in chip crumbs & self regret, pointing our fingers at the screen saying “Pssssshh! Hey Honey, look at what this asshole actually believ..”, before realizing we are all alone.

In our undies.

Again.

But at least we’re better than that wanker on the internet!
Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:34 am
mancabbage

if thats the most fucked up thing you can find on reddit you ain't looking hard enough, the thing is, its so big now that you can't say LOOK AT /R/SPACEDICKS REDDIT IS FUCKED UP AND WRONG, because you could do the same about youtube, its just a platform, of course theres tons of muppets on there but as long as you sift through the dirt theres a lot of gold now too. All about the sub reddits man
Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:18 am
outpatient

/r/subredditdrama is tremendous

edit: the default subreddits with lots of subscribers are flooded with memes and stupidity. The better ones enforce submission rules to encourage in-depth discussion and/or original content. if you hunt around on the sidebars of the bigger subreddits you'll find the good stuff

for music I like /r/listentothis along with the genre subreddits linked in the sidebar. /r/listentous is cool.

/r/askscience is rigorously moderated and way better than google if you need an answer to a science question

with a little digging around, /r/truereddit and /r/depthhub are good launchpads for discovering interesting articles / discussions
Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:11 am
xGasPricesx

mancabbage wrote:
if thats the most fucked up thing you can find on reddit you ain't looking hard enough, the thing is, its so big now that you can't say LOOK AT /R/SPACEDICKS REDDIT IS FUCKED UP AND WRONG, because you could do the same about youtube, its just a platform, of course theres tons of muppets on there but as long as you sift through the dirt theres a lot of gold now too. All about the sub reddits man

But on subreddits like r/spacedicks I expect to find fucked up shit, and that's why I avoid those altogether. r/videos I might expect to find some dumb shit every now and again, and probably a lot of borderline racist shit, but the overt racist shit has come out of the woodwork there more and more recently. I know that it's just one of the most popular subreddits, and will attract a lot of garbage for that very reason, I guess I was just surprised with how much garbage has been attracted to there recently.

Edit: Although the thread seems to be buried now, so maybe this is much ado about nothing. Carry on.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:58 pm
Plum Puddin'

"Message boards suffer world wide when American kids go on summer holidays." - John Stamos, 2003.
Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:03 am
Confidential

[quote="xGasPricesx"]Not that reddit has ever really been the bastion of progressivism it often likes to claim it is, but holy shit have things really gone down the shitter in the past year or two. Take this thread for example: http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/uyijs/brutal_honesty/

Yeah. I got introduced to reddit from this thread and been back pretty much everyday since. Its definitely got some intensely racist and sexist tendencies of the, "can't you take a joke?" variety.
Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:21 pm
xGasPricesx

Confidential wrote:
xGasPricesx wrote:
Not that reddit has ever really been the bastion of progressivism it often likes to claim it is, but holy shit have things really gone down the shitter in the past year or two. Take this thread for example: http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/uyijs/brutal_honesty/

Yeah. I got introduced to reddit from this thread and been back pretty much everyday since. Its definitely got some intensely racist and sexist tendencies of the, "can't you take a joke?" variety.

Yeah, the sexism thing is another huge issue that plagues most every subreddit I've ever visited. Even, and in some cases especially, the feminist subreddits, which are pretty much overrun by MRA's. The ubiquity of the whole "friend-zone" thing is only one of the ways I see it play out on a daily basis on that site.

It's definitely gotten me near the point of quitting the site altogether many a-time, but I keep coming back and trying to provide a different perspective as another privileged white, heterosexual male. Most of the time it seems to be to no avail, but every now and then I will get a private message from someone who lets me know that my posts, and others like mine, helped them change their perspective on these kinds of issues, and that's the main thing that keeps me coming back and keeps me trying to fight those battles.

I was also glad to see that the mods at r/videos have made a public statement about the racism within that subreddit and have taken some active measures to combat it. Although that whole move had a pretty huge backlash, because CENSORSHIP! They still seem to be sticking by it, for now at least. Gives me some hope...
Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:33 pm
xGasPricesx

I think I'm in love with Jay Smooth.

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:32 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next