Search
Register
Any redditors here?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

mancabbage

easy. register an account go to http://www.reddit.com/r/fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu/ and on the riht make sure u click the "frontpage" so that it goes orange and boom, no more.
Post Sun May 29, 2011 5:12 pm
Plum Puddin'

mancabbage wrote:
bakemosphere wrote:
this thread has been one of my favorites over the course of the last few months.. I'm sure with all the history buffs we have here it'll be a hit as well.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/ge9k7/biggest_history_mindfucks/?sort=top

Quote:

The Temple at Gobekli Tepe
In Turkey, there is an empty, uninhabited region overlooked by a ridge of mountains. On a hill at the base of those mountains is a temple unique in human history.
Gobekli Tepe is a series of temples, built on top of each other over time. The oldest of 'layer' of temples is more than 11 000 years old. Do you understand how old that is?
That's not just seven thousand years older than the Pyramids. Five thousand years older than the first cities in the fertile crescent.
It's a thousand years before agriculture. The builders were nomads, living off of herds and foraging.
It's before writing. So the whole thing was built by people whose knowledge had to be learned entirely in their lifetime and committed to memory. Can you imagine building a house with a group of people, when there aren't any diagrams or written instructions on length or weight? And the project took more than just your lifetimes? (Okay, maybe there were measured lengths of rope or something, but still.)
So it existed almost alone on Earth, with no large permanent human settlements. Not in the middle of a city, or even near one, or at a time when our concept of 'cities' even existed. There are barely signs that people even lived at the site. It indicates humans who used it lived in nomadic villages nearby and it stood mostly empty. It was unimaginably unique at the time.
We only think it was a temple because it was full of larger-than-life statues of humans and dozens of different animals. The concept of a bigger-than-life statue indicates respect and reverence, when it was believed that humans weren't sophisticated enough at the time to see themselves as gods, or worthy of worship.
We know that Gobekli Tepe was in continuous use for more than three thousand years, and then buried. Not in an avalanche, not in a fire or storm. By hand. The entire fucking complex was buried by hand. We know from the striations of earth that it was carried in from the land around and dumped. And it wasn't destroyed first, the buildings was intact.
Only 5% has been excavated. It's been picked at for decades because of competing claims on archeological rights. Who knows what else is in there.
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobekli_Tepe

fuck. thats cool

Haha. We don't know shit. Imagine the look on that generations faces when the crazy nomad boss told them to bury it by hand.

'He wants us to what?!...Aww man, he's the worst crazy nomad boss we've ever had!'
Post Sun May 29, 2011 11:04 pm
mancabbage

kinda like when the taliban blew the buddhas up

ucks
Post Mon May 30, 2011 1:12 pm
Szechwan

I came across a similarly awesome thread on the Awful forums. I think it's closed to non-members right now, but by the time most of you find this link it will probably be open. Million pages of goodness.

History: Wait, what? This really happened?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382510
Post Mon May 30, 2011 9:16 pm
Eric B

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:17 pm
zeem

now that the cats out of the bag,

http://bit.ly/vC8cK2

Sage, i recommend doing an IAMA close to a major sfr release. Shit can go pretty crazy when these are well timed. louis CK did one today promoting his new $5 DRM-free download. 11 hours and 9000 comments later: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/n9tef/hi_im_louis_ck_and_this_is_a_thing/
Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:43 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Huh...so...an IAMA is basically a Q&A session on Reddit? Am I understanding that correctly? I'm down for something like that I suppose.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:56 pm
zeem

yep. A good ole Q&A. As I've seen it, people post that they're doing an IAMA on facebook and twitter, and there tend to be enough redditors in that group that start upvoting it to popularity.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:01 pm
Plum Puddin'

Whatever you do, where ever you go on reddit, listen to your plum & stay away from r/spacedicks.

I FUCKING WARNED YOU.
Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:30 pm
Szechwan

The least you could have done is hyperlink to r/spacedicks Plum; let them decide which path they wish to walk.

But really, sage, an AMA would be great. Dig around a bit- Aesop did one a few weeks ago.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/m3133/iama_aesop_rock_ama/
Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:47 pm
Plum Puddin'

Szechwan wrote:
The least you could have done is hyperlink to r/spacedicks Plum; let them decide which path they wish to walk.

Stay away from that old spacedicks house kids.

Years ago some local boys went adventuring in there and never came out.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:13 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i dont understand reddit

what am i supposed to do?
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:39 am
xGasPricesx

Neuro wrote:
i dont understand reddit

Whatever you want!
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:55 am
sloe t
self-worthlessness

louis ck did an IAmA today. pretty good read.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/n9tef/hi_im_louis_ck_and_this_is_a_thing/

edit: sorry just saw that this was already linked. should really read the whole thread before posting, ha.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:25 am
Plum Puddin'

Neuro wrote:
i dont understand reddit

waste time like a champ.
Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:01 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next