Search
Register
Who is the most important hip-hop artist of the past decade?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

xGasPricesx

Who is the most important hip-hop artist of the past decade?  Reply with quote  

Doesn't have to be one person, could be multiple, but who do you think has changed the landscape of hip-hop the most over the past decade or so? For example, has Kanye been one of the most important producers in the game over the past decade? Are his contributions overvalued? Was Lil' Wayne one of the greatest emcees during the mid-to-late 2000's? If so, do you feel his output over the past 6 or so years significantly diminished his role as one of the greats of that time period? Do you think Kendrick Lamar is destined to be one of the all-time greats? Is it still way too early to tell with him? Who in the indie rap game do you feel has been most influential? Curious to hear people's opinions about any/all of these topics or whatever related topic they feel like bringing up.
Post Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:26 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Curtis Plum
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:46 pm
xGasPricesx

Ha, fair enough. I guess that's the only right answer to any of those questions. I would do unspeakable things for another Curtis Plum album though.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:00 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i would like to see an animated Bike Cop music video
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:13 pm
xGasPricesx

That would be pretty fucking awesome, in fact I would like to see any of his songs turned into animated music videos. I really feel like the dude should have a show on Adult Swim or something. I'm also totally fine with just turning this thread into a Curtis Plum appreciation thread, as I realize that not much conversation will probably come from my initial intent for the thread.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:08 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Since it's 2014, and College Dropout came out in Feb of '04... I'd say Kanye.
All six of his solo albums have debuted at number 1 on the charts.

And his upcoming album is going to be produced by Rick Rubin and Q-Tip.
It'll probably be sick.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:43 pm
Prontoid

Kanye has had the most quality/influential output out of anyone in the past ten years. It's not even close.
Post Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:23 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

These things don't exactly fit my idea of what's "important."

If we're going to discuss people with record sales, shiny trophies, and mainstream recognition then my vote goes to Kendrick.
Post Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:33 pm
xGasPricesx

I didn't really know how to frame the conversation I was looking for, I guess I could have gone with influential or interesting, although I don't think that would really change your criticism here. I realize there's kind of an inherent silliness in these kinds of conversations, but I still enjoy them sometimes. It's also hard because hip-hop is a very diverse genre nowadays, almost on par with rock that it's pretty much impossible to single out any one person or group and say they are the most "important" or whatever.

I made this thread after having a conversation with a guy who basically said that Kanye was awful and has had no real impact or influence on hip-hop, which I thought was dumb and blatantly untrue. I totally understand people not liking the guy and the stuff he puts out, but he clearly has had a pretty big influence in mainstream hip-hop and pop music. That got me thinking about who people on here feel are really progressing certain segments of the genre, even if those people aren't necessarily even relevant in other segments. It doesn't have to be people in the mainstream, I just listed those people first because my knowledge of hip-hop is relatively limited and they are easy to point out and see the impact of their work.

All that said, I'm still fine with this just turning into a Curtis Plum appreciation thread if people would just rather talk about that.
Post Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:11 pm
Plum Puddin'

These convo's make me feel old.

Post Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:01 am
Prontoid

Kendrick is the only guy to have released a pretty much universally acclaimed album this century..
Post Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:19 am
Limbs

OutKast gets my vote. My criteria for this is based solely on my gut. I just feel like they are, you know?
Post Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:20 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

In the last decade?
Post Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:18 pm
Limbs

Speakerboxxx/Love Below came out in 04!

I knew I was ballparking it but damn. I confused 98 for 04.

That said I think I still vote outkast. That's more of a shit on hiphop than propping outkast. I still feel like kendrick has only been around a few years. Time escapes me. It's probably him. Or Dr Dre?
Post Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:28 pm
Prontoid

Dre hasn't done much in the last decade apart from putting Kendrick and The Game on a major...although he's been ripping plenty of people off in the headphones business
Post Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:07 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next