X the Outsider

It's time to go to The Dark Net.
Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:47 pm
Mark in Minnesota

Wrong.
Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:49 pm
Finn

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
Google isn't in the advertisement business, it just looks like that because advertisers have the most direct use for Google's actual product. The actual product is extremely detailed marketing-oriented analytics about a very significant percentage of all Internet users. Advertising is what you do when you have that data, but it's not the only thing you do with it. Sometimes you make Farmville instead. Google services like gmail and YouTube will remain free for as long as there is a market for detailed data about how we use the Internet.

Facebook is in the exact same business. Ad revenue is a big part of it in both cases but it's not the real game. The real game is being in a position to watch what we do, take detailed notes, and either sell the conclusions or build internal products based on those conclusions.

They may not be in the business of advertising, but I think it's accurate to say that they are in the advertisement business. To me, your point is a little bit like arguing that if you are a manufacturer of high-quality fiber optical fiber, you are not in the telecommunications business. It's more of a semantic/legal distinction than a practical one.

But yes, it's certainly not the only business they're in, and if they suddenly stopped selling those analytics to advertisers and kept them all internally for the development of fee-based products, they'd be able to rid themselves of advertisers. But that's a big if.
Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:02 pm
Mark in Minnesota

I'm not proposing that they would rid themselves of advertisers in favor of internal applications, per se -- rather I'm saying that advertisements are just a way of putting the analytics to use. Even if Internet advertising dries up as a significant revenue source, those analytics are going to remain valuable and sought-after. The only way that will stop being true is if we suddenly stop using the Internet for any monetary purpose at all.
Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:19 pm
redball

Finn wrote:
redball wrote:
Google is a hugely success advertisement-based firm. When other firms that try to charge people for things like email, user uploaded videos, and blogs are not as profitable as Google what would make Google suddenly abandon their model? Nothing foreseeable.

Declining revenues? You mentioned "the bitter end" in your post, so, you sort of answered your own question I guess. I am very skeptical of the long-term viability of the advertisement model, especially as energy costs continue to rise.

But you cannot fix declining revenues by cutting off your best source of revenue. There's also not an indication that I know of that ad revenue is faltering that badly, at least not for Google. But honestly, why make Google the boogie man here? No company can run in perpetuity without a revenue stream. Google right now is the company that has the most vested interest in free services. By the time that Google's revenues start to slip then every other ad-driven site on the net will have gone to pay.

We've not even mentioned how Google has an absolute edge over almost all competitors based on their scale.

I mean, if you want Google to be the boogie man then realize how much information people give them and that they are not friends of privacy. That's a valid complaint. Until someone shows me a shred of evidence otherwise, the assumption that they will suddenly turn off the subscription model is not valid.
Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:45 pm
X the Outsider

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
Wrong.

Joke.
Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2