Search
Register
Sage Francis in New Orleans as part of a retreat. 2/17/11
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

SFR announcement

Sage Francis in New Orleans as part of a retreat. 2/17/11  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis is taking part in a NOLA charity show on Feb 17 at the Blue Nile.
Show details here: http://bit.ly/gGXS1P
buy tix here: http://bit.ly/i0rzLk

As there is a long list of performers, Sage is only expected to perform 3 songs or so.

Dear Nola: A Concert for New Orleans
Bonerama w/ very special guests Cody ChesnuTT, DJ Spooky/That Subliminal Kid, Grammy Nominated Helen Bruner + Terry Jones, Jenny Toomey & Kristin Thomson of Tsunami, Ira Tuton of Yeasayer, M1 of Dead Prez, Mirah, Sage Francis, Shawn King of DeVotchKa, Sunpie Barnes, Vernon Reid, Zach Rogue of Rogue Wave

Date: February 17, 2011, Doors at 9:00 pm
Blue Nile (532 Frenchmen Street), New Orleans
Admission is $10 online advance (www.bluenilelive.com); $15 at the door.

The show serves as the celebratory finale of the a three-day activist retreat hosted by Air Traffic Control (www.atctower.net) and Future of Music Coalition (www.futureofmusic.org). This retreat is the seventh of its kind in New Orleans since 2006. Artists from across the country come to meet and learn from each other and with the tradition bearers and community leaders of New Orleans who are on the frontlines of rebuilding and sustaining this vital city. Proceeds from the concert — the seventh since Hurricane Katrina — benefit Sweet Home New Orleans (www.sweethomeneworleans.org) and Gulf Restoration Network (www.healthygulf.org), two New Orleans-based nonprofits working to support and sustain the region’s unique musical and cultural traditions and to protect and restore vital environment and community resources for future generations.
Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:35 pm
AdamBomb

See ya there, Sage.

John Schwan, you coming too?

Should be a cool show.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:00 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

This show is going to be jam packed with randomness. We just did the rehearsal and we were jumping around onto each other's sets. But everyone is doing about 3 of their own songs so definitely don't attend for one specific artist. It's the full experience that matters. An incredible brass band will be on stage the whole time. I'm doing Waterline with them.
Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:17 pm
anomaly
Loserface

someone bootleg this shiiiiiiiiiiit. All up in Sage's grill in HD.
Wish I could've made the trip over there.
Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:49 pm
JohnSchwan

I can't make it, got work in BR at 6 A.M. Snoop and Ice Cube are playing here soon and I'm trying to decide if I want to go.
Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:52 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Crazy show. So much fucking fun.

I got to rock a song on stage with M1 from Dead Prez, Cody ChesnuTT, Shawn from DeVotchKa, Vernon from Living Coulor, DJ Spooky, Zach from Rogue Wave, and a few more.

I performed Waterline with Bonarama so there were a lot of trombones behind me. I also performed the full version of Can I Kick It which I haven't done in many, many years.

My favorite performer of the night was a guy named Sunpie. He had actually been a tour guide of sorts for all of the musicians who were part of this retreat. He earned his place as one of the top 5 most interesting and special people I've ever met.

New Orleans never fails us. Hopefully we never fail New Orleans again. So much rich culture.
Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:49 am
AdamBomb

I didnt get a chance to say hi to you, but I brought along four other people to the show and we all had a great time. That was really cool of you to get involved with charity stuff that benefits this area. I was familiar with the Gulf Restoration Network, but had not heard of Sweet Home Lousiana (I read up on them). In spite of the crime rate and tough economy in this area, the culture and people are what make me never want to leave. Its sad that the tourism industry benefits heavily off of the backs of musicians (selling a good time), but the musicians have to scrape by and struggle. Anyway, both good causes and its appreciated any time you can come down here and perform. That version of Waterline gave me the chills... Pretty psyched to see Cody Chesnutt, too. I've had his album since it came out years ago and its still one of my all time favorites. Curious to know how they chose the artists they did to come out.

My sister has got some pics of the show, so I will send you some when I get them from her. Might have video too, but you know how great iphone footage can be.

Sunpie was pretty incredible. He pulled some notes out of that harmonica I didnt think were possible. I even dug that soul singing duo, too.

Love to hear more about how the trip went.
Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:36 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to: