Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

BillyDistro

neveragainlikesheep wrote:
www.youtube.com

really? thanks for nothing.
Post Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:53 pm
SFR announcement

Back to the original topic.

Professor Griff has a slew of conspiracy videos on youtube, but for starters...

How do you stop someone spiraling out of control like this? I don't think it's possible. It's self-righteousness fueled by delusion and paranoia.
Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:23 am
firefly

Obama doesn't have to be the "anti-chirst", "Hitler 2" or whatever to be corrupt. He's the President of the USA, of course he tells lies! Of course he serves the rich elite! You can't be President without being corrupt.

Look at the man's actions and FUCK all the rhetoric about politics and how you "have to play the game." That's all the evidence you need to know that Obama is just like all the other Polititians.

What is happening now - which I predicted when Obama became President - is that all the closet racists, right wingers, etc will come up with ignorant criticisms which will make a good chunk of the disenters look like crazies and bigots.

But yes, it is rather disturbing that these crazy theories are being projected all over the place. It's too bad because it makes an association with all the actual conspiracies. Like Prescott Bush.
Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:19 am
neveragainlikesheep

BillyDistro wrote:
www.youtube.com

Yeah, really. Don't be such a lazy ass.

All it takes is a fucking search.

firefly wrote:
Obama doesn't have to be the "anti-chirst", "Hitler 2" or whatever to be corrupt. He's the President of the USA, of course he tells lies! Of course he serves the rich elite! You can't be President without being corrupt.

Look at the man's actions and FUCK all the rhetoric about politics and how you "have to play the game." That's all the evidence you need to know that Obama is just like all the other Polititians.

What is happening now - which I predicted when Obama became President - is that all the closet racists, right wingers, etc will come up with ignorant criticisms which will make a good chunk of the disenters look like crazies and bigots.

But yes, it is rather disturbing that these crazy theories are being projected all over the place. It's too bad because it makes an association with all the actual conspiracies. Like Prescott Bush.

What I'm saying...
Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:54 am
Plum Puddin'

I'll be hanging with Firefly in the the post apocalyptic wasteland of 2013.

I'm gonna make him a hat made from a horse skull & old cutlery.

And a cape made from the skin of non believers.

We'll eat cat food & call each other Comrade.

The dawn of the Golden Age has begun.
Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:11 pm
BillyDistro

BillyDistro wrote:
www.youtube.com

ok, cool. you win at the internet i hope you feel awesome. i like how the person with 2 thousand more internet posts than me is calling me a lazy ass.

Last edited by BillyDistro on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:45 pm
Confidential

My da is in the catholic brotherhood of the Knights of Columbus. My past days spent pondering the nefarious intentions of the masonic bonesmen have me creeped out a little by his fraternal organization. The other day I found a skull and bones medallion they must have worn in one of their rituals.
Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:55 pm
Dan Shay

The actual conspiracy isn't as romantic as it would seem. Not even close.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:02 am
neveragainlikesheep

BillyDistro wrote:
BillyDistro wrote:
www.youtube.com

ok, cool. you win at the internet i hope you feel awesome. i like how the person with 2 thousand more internet posts than me is calling me a lazy ass.

U jelly?
Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 am
BillyDistro

BillyDistro wrote:
BillyDistro wrote:
www.youtube.com

U jelly?

I was. I really was! Sorry about that, Valentines bluez had me down and the such.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:13 pm
Captiv8

The bottom line is that a good conspiracy theory (or news program a la Glenn Beck or Bill O'Reilly) is a handy substitute for actually thinking for yourself and learning independently. This kind of stuff has become the Cliff Notes for a culture that has become increasingly lazy and indulged in increasing the lowest the common denominator. I'm pretty fucking tired of people, including my family, claiming things as fact because Beck the Feck told them so. There's too many agendas out there, and not enough initiative. Christ, I'm getting old.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:07 pm
firefly

Captiv8 wrote:
The bottom line is that a good conspiracy theory (or news program a la Glenn Beck or Bill O'Reilly) is a handy substitute for actually thinking for yourself and learning independently.

Why do you think that a conspiracy theory means not thinking for yourself? Just because there are some CT that are outrageous/ignorant doesn't mean that an interest in CTs means you're being lazy and not thinking for yourself. There are dozens of conspiracies that have been proven that can be found with a quick search. A theory is just that and whether or not it is regarding conspiracies, science, religion ... it requires research to come to a reliable conclusion.

That Terrance Mckenna clip comes to mind:

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:49 pm
redball

For me the test of whether a conspiracy theory has any potential validity or just a crock of shit is two fold:

1) Does it blatantly ignore clear and easily proven evidence to the contrary? Most fail this. The most blatant example of this that's popular right now is birtherism. There's so much evidence against this but it just won't die. But a lot of the shit that's popped up in the last few years fails too. Like the shit about Obama's army and FEMA internment camps.

2) Is it clear that it's a situation in which people saw a pattern then sought any evidence they could to support that pattern? Best example: Truthers. They believe that the WTC collapse was too clean and/or the hole in the Pentagon is too small, starting from that end they build a scenario in which some form of explosives was used. Even a brief perusal of the evidence points to a scenario where a conclusion was drawn and then evidence was put behind it.

Obviously you can put the legwork into investigating it further than that, but often it's unnecessary. Normally it depends on whether you're interested in the topic or not.

As for the OP, I'd either write this person off or at least hide their posts. Once a person goes that far into it they have to find their way back out. Help from the outside is written off as you being brainwashed by the system, or being closed minded. Evidence is ignored, often citing some sort of conspiratorial reasons for the evidence to exist. This triggers the same parts of the brain that allow us to believe that some white guy created all of us 6000 years ago. It's kinda like how at work I kept debunking urban legend emails, eventually you'd think people would start checking snopes before they sent them... but no, what happened was they stopped sending them to the mailing list I was a part of and would send it to everyone but me. When it's easier to believe an alternate reality that's what people will do.

I think someone recently asked for this video:
Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:04 pm
Captiv8

firefly wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:
The bottom line is that a good conspiracy theory (or news program a la Glenn Beck or Bill O'Reilly) is a handy substitute for actually thinking for yourself and learning independently.

Why do you think that a conspiracy theory means not thinking for yourself? Just because there are some CT that are outrageous/ignorant doesn't mean that an interest in CTs means you're being lazy and not thinking for yourself. There are dozens of conspiracies that have been proven that can be found with a quick search. A theory is just that and whether or not it is regarding conspiracies, science, religion ... it requires research to come to a reliable conclusion.

You make a fair point, but I meant people that readily buy into conspiracy theories like Obama really being Muslim and not a US citizen. It's a smokescreen and an ad hominem that convinces a lot of people that he should be disliked for who he "is". This means they don't have to put in the work and familiarize themselves with his actually platform and policies, his promises and subsequent failures, successes, and so on. Rags like The National Enquirer are emblematic of this process, and a surprising number of people buy into it. But then I suppose things like that aren't really CTs. It's just crap pushed by muckruckers, pundits, and the like.

The people that come up with conspiracy theories obviously vary in rigor an credibility. Some really do the research and come up with some crazy and in some cases believable stuff, and that's something worthy for consideration. Some of the ideas out there are half-cocked and implausible, or a mere grasping at straws, but others require further examination and raise important questions. At any rate, the fact remains that outsiders exposed to CTs need to put in their own work and ultimately come to their own conclusions. There is too much prima facie acceptance in Western culture.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:37 pm
Self Conscious

Z-0 wrote:
this is one of the messages she sent me:

"it isn't about me jumping the bandwagon that Obama is Nazi. Its about getting past the stereo type! Its about coming outside the box. Its opening your eyes. Its about waking up!Obama is LIEING to the people to the same extreme that Hitler did! Do we have to wait for mass genocide to see what the Government/Obama is doing! We can prevent mass genocide if we rise up & say we will not tolerate these lies & bullshit anymore!"

at first i thought, fuck, she's taken too much ecstasy...it's a rant filled with empty platitudes: "waking up", "opening your eyes", "outside the box"...blah blah...

those "open your eyes" people are so funny because in fact it is them that have their eyes closed and brain for that matter. its also funny because they all think they are the ones who are thinking for themselves and everybody else is just following "the man" when they all think the same thing. they say to stop doing exactly what they are doing.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:38 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next