Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

ROTTY

This movie is all out of bubble gum!
Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:41 am
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

Outland
Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:14 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cold Funcrusher

videodrome wrote:
redball wrote:
This list might help:

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/the-top-50-dystopian-movies-of-all-time/

I haven't seen a lot of these, but the ones I have seen I've really enjoyed. Gonna be saving this list.

+1
Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:14 pm
Mark in Minnesota

Hello Family. Hello, hello.

I am writing you this letter not just so that you can read is (although I hope you do) but for the benefit of people 1000 years from now who are as we speak reading over your shoulder.

What you are creating is a time capsule, for how people in this decade (the first decade in the 10-year sequence matching the pattern 0201x) perceive the cinematic future-fiction of a previous decade (the 10-year sequence matching the pattern 0198x). Not that long ago in the grand scheme of things, we may as well be asking the letters G E F what they thought about what the letters D C and B thought would happen later on in the alphabet.

The general sentiment here seems to be to traverse a specific decade's entries into a specific film genre in search of "that which is awesome" where "awesome" means unapologetic about its deficiencies and proud of its ambitions. Mostly we're sharing what we like through embeds of YouTube images and Flash videos without any thought to whether those URLs will survive the depredations of time and DMCA takedowns over on the other websites we're embedding from.

We're not writing to one another to snapshot perceptions about that particular era in sci-fi film so much as we are writing to one another to snapshot perceptions about this particular era's perceptions of "that which is awesome." Our meaning of the word cool, which is different than what our meaning of that word was a decade ago and is different from what our meaning of that word will be a decade from now.

Fellow humans, I am excited about what we are attempting to catalogue here today not because I care about the subject matter but because we are attempting to catalogue it in relation to a particular cultural reference point, a particular social reference point -- customs that emerge in this decade could still be relelvant 1000 years from now, just because this is the first decade where socio-temporal customs were ever recorded for posterity with such a high degree of resolution.

I agree that They Live is great. I think that it was a unique intersection between filmmaking and pop culture for us, where the blue collar aspects of pro wrestling personified by Roddy Piper had an opportunity to present themselves as a defense against an existential threat against that which is true and worthwhile. The threat, such as it was, was presented by the open secret of consumerism, which is that the images used to market things to us do not reflect the truth of those things. The film is an allegory about capital-I illumination and iterative resistance against it -- and it is a product of its times in some very real ways. That movie couldn't be successful today largely because consumerist design methodology has co-opted almost everything to do with subculture, illumination, etc. Unintentional hypocrisy in the 1980s is intentional and ironic hypocrisy in the 2010s.

I want to make a goose liver product line based entirely on the livers of geese who have been force-fed for their entire lives on a high-calorie diet consisting only of traditional foie gras. It will be a giant hit until two or three fiscal years after scientists have proven that it has already started killing people.

Where are your ethical consumerism sunglasses now, Rowdy Roddy?
Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:09 pm
Mark in Minnesota

Please excuse my last post, the bartenders at Ruby Tuesday got me worked up talking about the Long Now movement and may have gotten me to sign off on a $50 bar tab in the process. I feel a little tipsy...
Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:12 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

so the question is....

did you type all that on your phone?
Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:44 pm
Mark in Minnesota

I don't think so but I have about an hour or two of really fuzzy (albeit not quite missing) time from earlier tonight. I stand behind my points but not my run on sentences.
Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:37 am
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>

silent running!
eco terrorist SF shit. so funny.

how the fuck do you embed youtube on this shit?
Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:00 am
Dream Inspired

ooo... silent running! nice one sole.
and you guys don't even know.. a boy and his dog is a great movie.
check it!!!!
Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:26 pm
Cold Funcrusher

Dream Inspired wrote:
ooo... silent running! nice one sole.
and you guys don't even know.. a boy and his dog is a great movie.
check it!!!!

Yo Dream inspired maybe you're right but i dont know man...
There's something wrong with this title "a boy and his dog" that makes this movie not a priority, it puts me off a bit. Plus Don Johnson is starring

heheh, just joking
Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:19 pm
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

"a boy and his dog" is a major inspiration for the video game fallout. definitely a classic film... by someone's standards... pretty bleak & shitty, but worth a watch....
Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:29 pm
Dream Inspired

i guess calling it a great movie may be stretching a bit, but it's definitely worth watching for the big WTF moments.

i also vote for the first alien movie. artsy and noisy and so much better than the other two or three or thirty or whatever.
the derelict ship and the space jockey/pilot.... nuff said.
Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:37 pm
redefyned

Absolutely loved Moon.

Code 46. Samantha Morton and good old Tim Robbins:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/VEDB6DTk3PA

EXistenZ. Virtual reality Cronenberg stylee:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/VyfKaC-H6nQ

Also has anyone seen Avalon? I'm sure I remember it being stranger and more interesting than this trailer suggests. Maybe I'm wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/8TTgzumaI0w
Post Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:23 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i tried watching A Boy and his Dog last night, made it about 15-20 min in and turned it off, i might try again
Post Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:10 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

this is on netflix

its not 80's but its def pretty cool

Post Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:56 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next