Search
Register
"Bail it Out" REMIX WINNER!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

SFR announcement

Making our way through 80 remix submissions for B. Dolan's "Bail it Out" RMX CONTEST was not an easy task. The tedium of sifting through that many tracks is typical, but we can't remember ever receiving this many QUALITY remixes all at once. After much consideration, B. Dolan has decided that the first two runner-ups are:

* BUDDY PEACE http://soundcloud.com/strangefamousrecords/buddy-peace-bail-it-out-rmx-b
* THEORY 77 http://soundcloud.com/strangefamousrecords/theory-77-bail-it-out-rmx-b

THE FIRST PLACE RIBBON GOES TO...........

FLEX VECTOR!

Listen to his remix below and continue reading to see the explanation about how this decision was made and why it's an unlikely choice.

</object> <span>***Flex Vector - "Bail it Out" RMX - B. Dolan

As you'll notice in Flex Vector's remix, the vocals are sped up for a majority of the song. We often receive remixes where the producer changes the tempo of the vocals in order to fit them to the tempo of a beat they've already pre-made. However, the special attention that Flex Vector gives to the pacing, change-ups, and reconstruction of the entire track prove that the changes to vocal tempo were not forced. They were deliberate. 3/4 of the way into the remix, when the vocal tempo switches from double time to half time, you fully realize the genius at play.

Not only do vocal tempo changes normally turn us off, but this style of beat is not something we'd typically be into. However, when all is said and done, our love of this remix and our respect for its craftsmanship have pushed it above all others.

CONGRATULATIONS, FLEX VECTOR! We will be seeing you this Sunday for the Portland, ME date of the "Church of Love & Ruin" Tour! This tour begins TOMORROW. Get all details here www.BDolan.net

If you're one of the many producers who made a "Bail it Out" remix and you'd like to share it with the people then please feel free to upload it to the RMX group we created here: http://soundcloud.com/groups/bail-it-out-rmx-group
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:31 pm
skobie won

We Sprung a wiki leak  Reply with quote  

congrats to buddy peace, theory 77, and the winner Mr. Flex Vector hot shit guys. thanks SFR holding this tight competition see you next time..
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:49 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

congrats!...

i'm glad i didn't have to choose just one to win... i couldn't have.

many awesome mixes..
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:46 pm
Vividend

Congrats to Flex Vector, Theory 77, and Buddy Peace. You dudes deserved it. Youth In Eyes will there next time. I'm always stoked to play a part in these contests.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:52 pm
l3rownl3eats

Congrats Flex Vector! You deserve it man, really really crazy stuff. I can't wait for the next remix contest. These are so fun.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:01 pm
Captiv8

Mad props to Flex Vector. Definitely a non-traditional sort of beat, but an absolute banger nonetheless. Kudos to Buddy and Theory77 as well. I'd be remiss not to mention some other folks that I think brought maximum heat as well:

Barbaric Merits: Your beat was like the scene in Pulp Fiction where Uma Thurman does coke in the bathroom. Outstanding fucking work! Definitely a grimier version of Blue Sky Black Death going on here.

YIE: My goodness. I imagine that's some kind of effect, but I dig the theremin thingy you worked in. Even though I'm inclined to say the feel of the beat doesn't fit the mood of the song, it somehow works. Quality.

Luke One: Nice little head-nodder, man. The subtlety of keys over the bassline is really great.

DJ Dragon Smasher: Your beat doesn't work with the song that well, but you flip an ill sample, which tells me you've got good things up your sleeve. Keep it groovy.

Edison: Incredible creepy vibe to it, though I have to say it would have worked better with The Hunter. Your drums are probably the best part of the beat, and remind me at points of El-P. Great work.

Radiodecay: I like the somber tone to this one, and the drums are really nice. My one complaint is the background fuzziness that sounds like a speed up high hat. I think your beat would work much better without it.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:03 pm
Gravypaste

Nice work guys. Well done Flex, great work with that track.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:08 pm
Vividend

I know it didn't quite fit. We wanted to go for something cheesier and happy but then bring the beat back in later with some dirt. It was definitely original though. We're probably the only remix contestants that made the instrumental in a major scale heh. Thanks for the feedback man.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:10 pm
flex vector

Wow, I can't believe it! Thanks everybody! So much great work as usual. I purposely didn't listen to any of the other entries until mine was finished because I didn't wan't to be discouraged by all the awesome stuff everybody else was doing.

Congratulations to Buddy Peace and Theory 77 - both tracks were really unique and well produced. (as is everything else I've heard from both of you)

I also really liked the tracks from magOwl, Belgium Thomas, Brown Music, Skobie Won, dynamo414 and probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting at the moment.

Big thanks to B. Dolan, Sage, and the rest of the SFR crew! Can't wait for the show on Sunday!
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:23 pm
Captiv8

Vividend wrote:
I know it didn't quite fit. We wanted to go for something cheesier and happy but then bring the beat back in later with some dirt. It was definitely original though. We're probably the only remix contestants that made the instrumental in a major scale heh. Thanks for the feedback man.

Don't get me wrong; I really dug the beat. Unique stuff, man.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:58 pm
SFR announcement

Seriously, look at how clogged with comments this Flawed Logic track is.

Are you the mayor of soundcloud? What the heck is going on?
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:38 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

that buddy peace remix needs to be on House of Bees Vol 2

DO IT!
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:55 pm
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

SFR announcement wrote:
Seriously, look at how clogged with comments this Flawed Logic track is.

Are you the mayor of soundcloud? What the heck is going on?

What can I say!?! I'm apart of a great community of producers and Djs on soundcloud. They all came out in full force to show their support.

Congrats to Buddy Peace and Theory 77. Much respect to Flex Vector on your work. Everyone really threw down on this contest. Thanks to SFR, B. Dolan and Sage Francis. I'll see all you guys at the next one, whenever that is. Until then keep it real.

Respect
Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:54 pm
Buddy Peace

---

Last edited by Buddy Peace on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:23 am
magOwl

Big up Flex Vector, congrats man! Great remixes this time, I had a blast as usual.
And of course a big thanks to Sage & Dolan for putting in the time to make this happen!
Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:17 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next