Search
Register
Atmosphere "Family Sign" album on SFRstore.com &am
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Captiv8

I might have to pick this one up through iTunes. Is this a departure in style from When Life Gives You Lemons like Plastique was a tonal departure from the self-titled Sole and the Skyrider Band record, or is it more of a progression? I suppose those things that a departure and progression aren't mutually exclusive, but hopefully you folks get what I mean.
Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:27 pm
seandaley
passive aggressifist

i have no idea what you mean.

but i will take a stab and say that the answer is "superfudge."
Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:46 pm
CandidBlack

Well, I looked at songmeanings.net (great site by the way) and someone gave an interpretation which has made me completely doubt what I had originally thought the song was about haha. I'll still share it anyway, albeit briefly:

At first, I thought that this was about two rappers on tour, with the other one becoming "big" and then being influenced by evil (wolves) to the point that he became a wolf himself. Then, I had thought that this song was about Slug's career in Hip-Hop, chasing the dream through the wilderness (and hence going through pain) in an attempt to "save it" (Abusing of the Rib, If I was Santa Claus and others) until he finally realises what he's put himself through and that:

"It's not that tragic; it's not a shame
You're not the hunted; you're not the aim
You're just another dog with hunger pains
I was so afraid that you'd become the game"

Refrain speaks for itself.

Since it follows this song on the record, is "Just for Show" linked with "Became"?
Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:25 pm
Captiv8

seandaley wrote:

Certainly could have been worded more clearly. I'll let my ears decide, but superfudge sounds promising.
Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:10 pm
xGasPricesx

CandidBlack wrote:
Well, I looked at songmeanings.net (great site by the way) and someone gave an interpretation which has made me completely doubt what I had originally thought the song was about haha. I'll still share it anyway, albeit briefly:

At first, I thought that this was about two rappers on tour, with the other one becoming "big" and then being influenced by evil (wolves) to the point that he became a wolf himself. Then, I had thought that this song was about Slug's career in Hip-Hop, chasing the dream through the wilderness (and hence going through pain) in an attempt to "save it" (Abusing of the Rib, If I was Santa Claus and others) until he finally realises what he's put himself through and that:

"It's not that tragic; it's not a shame
You're not the hunted; you're not the aim
You're just another dog with hunger pains
I was so afraid that you'd become the game"

Refrain speaks for itself.

From Atmosphere's Twitter: "fun fact. "became" isn’t about a woman or a dog. it's about a homie on a negative path. fear for him. eventually, fear him."
Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Flawed Logic

Location: Austin, TX - Albuquerque, NM - Kalamazoo, MI - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

I might have to pick this one up through iTunes. Is this a departure in style from When Life Gives You Lemons like Plastique was a tonal departure from the self-titled Sole and the Skyrider Band record, or is it more of a progression? I suppose those things that a departure and progression aren't mutually exclusive, but hopefully you folks get what I mean.
seandaley wrote:

Captive8 wrote:
Certainly could have been worded more clearly. I'll let my ears decide, but superfudge sounds promising.

Captiv8 I'm going to have to side with Sean on this one. What you wrote made absolutely no sense at all... Ask someone you know to read it once and they'll tell you the same...

On a different note, superfudge sounds delicious!
Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:25 pm
mancabbage

took me by surprise, the melancholy vibe is gona take a couple of listens to sink in. Only track i'm not really keen on is bad bad daddy after first couple of listens
Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:06 pm
Captiv8

Flawed Logic wrote:
seandaley wrote:

Captive8 wrote:

Captiv8 I'm going to have to side with Sean on this one. What you wrote made absolutely no sense at all... Ask someone you know to read it once and they'll tell you the same...

On a different note, superfudge sounds delicious!

Oh I know, and I agree. For me the first Sole and the Skyrider Band had that edgy cynicism and a certain level of darkness, but it was still a fantastic record that, in my mind at least, made having a live band in hip hop totally viable. I know The Roots were doing it well before this, but I've never really appreciated their jazz inclinations. Anyway, Plastique had this weird vibe to it that wasn't quite experimental, but not quite the same Sole caliber (no video game reference pun intended). I think Sole himself even said it was all kind of rushed together at the end and was an exhausting process, or something along those lines. I was thinking from what I'd read that maybe The Family Sign was doing something similar.

But all of that doesn't matter because I bought the damn thing and just listened to it as a whole. Goddamn, what a great album! The only track that doesn't quite sit right with me is Bad Bad Daddy because of the chorus. And really, that's my only complaint. This is one of the most complete records I've ever heard, and I would recommend it to anyone. I also recommend getting the deluxe version if you can. Millenium Dodo 2 and Cut You Down are well worth the extra dough.
Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:27 pm
anomaly
Loserface

i'm really trying to like this, but something's just not right; it's gotta be the tracks. I hardly hear Ant's genius anywhere. There's a couple songs that I really like, but for the most it's moving me like Tori Amos w/ a bunch of tremelo guitar all over it.

Last edited by anomaly on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:44 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

im thinkin ANT is still the mastermind behind the beats , the instruments help add a more organic feel to them

best recognize
Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:48 pm
anomaly
Loserface

i'm wondering how much this has to do w/ everyone getting sue happy over samples
Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:53 pm
mancabbage

anomaly wrote:
i'm really trying to like this, but something's just not right; it's gotta be the tracks. I hardly hear Ant's genius anywhere. There's a couple songs that I really like, but for the most it's moving me like Tori Amos w/ a bunch of tremelo guitar all over it.

Know what you're sayin
Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:25 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

mancabbage wrote:
anomaly wrote:

Know what you're sayin

i don't. shits still atmosphere to my ears

p.s.

whats up with this? http://ralphborka.com/
Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:11 pm
english bob

got this through yesterday and glad i waited so i could listen to it 'properly'. only given it a couple of spins, but i'm loving what i'm hearing. pianos left right and center. i'm looking forward to letting it sit over the next few weeks.. who says spring/summer needs to be all upbeat and happy(?) 'if you could save me now' is my shit so far.

oh, and i like that ralph borka got asked to pull the plug. nice touch.
Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:00 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
remind

Who's going to the NY show?

There's this:

"Imagine Anthony tweetin" haha
Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:50 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next