More Neil Tyson:

So dope. His argument against the idea that we were designed "intelligently."

"Stupid Design"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4238NN8HMgQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEP50dxfRAw&feature=related
Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:36 am
futuristxen

Mac Lethal wrote:
I love Hicks, Carlin, Cross etc. All their Atheist commentary.

Hicks wasn't an atheist.
Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:15 am
JohnSchwan

Headcase is just CRAZY's new character.
Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:32 am
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair

futuristxen wrote:
Mac Lethal wrote:

Hicks wasn't an atheist.

Depends on your sources and/or period of his life where he made such statements.
Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:54 am
futuristxen

Mac Lethal wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
Mac Lethal wrote:

Hicks wasn't an atheist.

Depends on your sources and/or period of his life where he made such statements.

I suppose. I'm going more by his standup. What makes you think he was an atheist?
Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:11 am
outpatient

I'd say bill was a sort of magic mushroom buddhist. he was definitely into ideas of metaphysical interconnectedness and samsara
Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:02 am
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

I Like R.a. Wilson and Terrence McKenna. Wistful thinkers.
Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:51 am
Lonely Shinobi

Sage Francis wrote:

why humans are so susceptible to mystic bullshit. We lurrrvve that bullshit.

can't find it right now, but there is a good youtube video by one of those athiest folks (probably qualiasoup or philhellenes) about the likely evolutionary origin of belief. Kinda comes down to the land monkeys who saw lions behind every tree survived, and the ones who recognised the sound of rustling leaves was just the wind died, because you only had to be wrong once

The evolution of mysticism right there. Interesting hypothesis
Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:03 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

memetics, yo

"because you only have to be wrong once"... and religion is a wrong way to live.

i think (hope) the internet with all it's cat, ninja and pirate glory, is the stuck fork in religion..

i want to grow old enough to see a couple more generations...
Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:27 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Tyson and Dawkins are great. Great scientists, great people, great educators. I wish they'd never leave; I want to keep them here forever.

Headcase, you're either trolling or a dumbass. Jesus was a snakeoil salesman who said he was the child of the main character in an obscure novel. People believed him because they hadn't invented the scientific method or peer review yet. At least they had an excuse; you've had centuries to get used to the former and the latter's getting better all the time. Your religion sucks.
Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:11 am
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

To be clear: Your story is tragic and I feel bad for what you've been through. But turning to Jesus for help is like turning to a clown. Even if it gives you comfort, you have to understand that no one who doesn't already have a relationship with that same clown is going to take your newfound relationship seriously.

Further, that clown has a track record of being used as an excuse for war, pogroms, rape, repression, and so forth. And to this day he is used as a bludgeon against beautiful human endeavors like stem cell research, which by itself is worth more than the entire works of Thomas Aquinas. But I'm sure you've heard it all before.
Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:26 am
Lonely Shinobi

Just to follow up my above post re: sage talking about why we fear/believe gods/mystical stuff, I found that video. Philhellens (of "Science saved my soul") was the source. He always has a good take and clear presentation I reckon

It is good, if you haven't seen it give it a watch

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>
Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:56 am
Asterax

breakreep wrote:
To be clear: Your story is tragic and I feel bad for what you've been through. But turning to Jesus for help is like turning to a clown.

What a respectful thing to say.
Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:25 am
futuristxen

breakreep wrote:
Jesus was a snakeoil salesman who said he was the child of the main character in an obscure novel.

That's pretty miraculous since the novel hadn't been invented yet. Additionally I don't believe there's actually any evidence so far to a historical Jesus. And if you study early Christianity at all, you'll note that how he's portrayed varies radically even within the now canonical books(which weren't canonical for quite some time)--to say nothing of the literature that didn't make the canon, or was otherwise repressed and destroyed in the name of what we now see as the prevailing story. The story of Jesus or how it came to be a story is kind of remarkable in terms of how much time it took to really get it into the shape we now have it. Anyways. Point being making characterizations about someone who is at best an amalgamation--is weird.

Quote:

To be clear: Your story is tragic and I feel bad for what you've been through. But turning to Jesus for help is like turning to a clown.

Yes. Because no one would turn to a clown for comfort...

Quote:

. People believed him because they hadn't invented the scientific method or peer review yet. At least they had an excuse; you've had centuries to get used to the former and the latter's getting better all the time. Your religion sucks.

Surely you don't really think that the miracles are the reason that Christianity has propagated.

Quote:

Further, that clown has a track record of being used as an excuse for war, pogroms, rape, repression, and so forth

Christianity has also been the theme song behind the resistance to all of the above as well. It wasn't scientific theorems that they were putting in their civil rights protest songs afterall...

At the end of the day all anyone has is what they hold as their own personal truths. It's not your job to disrespect those truths. Rather it's better for you to try and understand those truths and why they are there--and in doing so become closer to your community, and changing it by your closeness.
Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:58 am
MCGF

futuristxen wrote:
At the end of the day all anyone has is what they hold as their own personal truths. It's not your job to disrespect those truths. Rather it's better for you to try and understand those truths and why they are there--and in doing so become closer to your community, and changing it by your closeness.

...and futur wins the thread.
Post Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:10 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next