message  Reply with quote  

ok

Last edited by C.R.A.Z.Y on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:23 pm
Asterax

huh?
Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:28 pm
jehu

i have no idea why, but i love the name penny.
Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:49 pm
futuristxen

What are people's thoughts on this sort of thing? I've run into it often on the internet, and my feeling has always been that it's inconsequential. You are ostensibly who my experience makes you, and the experiences that I have with a character are as real as they are with someone who is "real". Everyone on the internet is real, even when they aren't. Maybe especially when they aren't.

Point being that I don't think the writer past a certain point can "retire" a character. What about people who don't see this post, or who died before you got to post it? Or what if people just disregard it? At this point the character as an experience is out of your hands.

There's an egoism to the reveal though that is interesting. The idea that you the author are in control of the audience to the degree that you can pick the story's end in this sort of setting is a special level of arrogance. There's an inate notion of "oh I fooled you", but the person who has been fooled is you because this entire time you thought you were more real than your creation, when in the eyes of the audience there is still no difference.

What's the difference between a Crazy Amy or a Penny Anne Meyer? Just different characters. Neither more real to anyone here than another, y'know.

I'd be interested to know why you bothered with "retiring"?
Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:01 pm
AdamBomb

Its cool. Like I've said in the past...the majority of us are all aliases from the mind of one sick person with a lot of time on his hands. He just communicates back and forth with all the aliases he has created. But you should already know this.
Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 pm
Mikal kHill

I never thought Crazy Amy was real, and the chats we've had in text in IM form cemented that. Cool beans, though. Seemed like the character was fading out a bit over the past few months anyways.
Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 pm
futuristxen

I thought Prolific Memorie was ghostwriting for a little bit there.
Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:18 pm
JohnSchwan

Yo Penny I'm really happy for you and I'ma let you finish but Raoul Degrout had one of the greatest aliases of all time.
Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:36 pm
tommi teardrop

So it goes.

tommi teardrop shall proceed and continue.
Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:10 pm
Disharmony

Figured this out a lonnnnng time ago. Purposely skipped over any of your posts. Internet characters are boring.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:12 am
tommi teardrop

Wait, does this mean that the guy didn't really shit his pants? Did you really even kill that person? Or was that mem?

Transfer your character to mem, please.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:46 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

who the

what the

whats going on here
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:51 am
TurnpikeGates

futuristxen wrote:
What are people's thoughts on this sort of thing? I've run into it often on the internet, and my feeling has always been that it's inconsequential. You are ostensibly who my experience makes you, and the experiences that I have with a character are as real as they are with someone who is "real". Everyone on the internet is real, even when they aren't. Maybe especially when they aren't.

Point being that I don't think the writer past a certain point can "retire" a character. What about people who don't see this post, or who died before you got to post it? Or what if people just disregard it? At this point the character as an experience is out of your hands.

There's an egoism to the reveal though that is interesting. The idea that you the author are in control of the audience to the degree that you can pick the story's end in this sort of setting is a special level of arrogance. There's an inate notion of "oh I fooled you", but the person who has been fooled is you because this entire time you thought you were more real than your creation, when in the eyes of the audience there is still no difference.

What's the difference between a Crazy Amy or a Penny Anne Meyer? Just different characters. Neither more real to anyone here than another, y'know.

I'd be interested to know why you bothered with "retiring"?

+1

Delete everything after this post then exit through the gift shop (and lock it).
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:52 am
neveragainlikesheep

Meh.

Never was a fan. Never had much of a reaction either.

Good for you, I guess.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:58 am
Flossin

Disharmony wrote:
Internet characters are boring.

Yeah, I think this sort of thing is pretty lame. I know I'm not a longtime forum poster like a lot of you guys, but I didn't have much of a reaction either and the 'big reveal' fell flat for me. There are instances of internet characters being entertaining (at least from time to time) etc, but I think it's generally boring and not worth it (not worth it for you, CRAZY, since you say it was hard work and I personally don't exactly think you won any internets with this). Interacting with 'internet characters' isn't really fun.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:21 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next