Profile
Search
Register
Log in
message
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Author Message
Rob-Raz



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 151
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
 Reply with quote  

Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:50 am
 View user's profile Send private message
mzehe916



Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 4544
Location: Switzerland
 Reply with quote  

Shit, you totally tricked us!

Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:27 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Plum Puddin'



Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 1833
Location: Run Ebola, Run.
 Reply with quote  

So what was your point Penny?

IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME!?

A big reveal needs a big finish.

So far this plot twist is fizzling out.

Is Ray Liotta with them or is he with the bad guys?
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:28 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Flossin



Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 585
Re: The character of Crazy Amy is being retired  Reply with quote  

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
I am officially retiring her character, 1/19/11.


So 3 more days of this?
Wasn't there a thread here somewhere where somebody found your profile on a different site and posted your real name?
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:07 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Elorza



Joined: 18 Sep 2002
Posts: 1003
Location: east coast
 Reply with quote  

Clearly. Your "persona" was ridiculous but, much like The Bible, entertaining if taken with salts.

futuristxen wrote:
What are people's thoughts on this sort of thing? I've run into it often on the internet, and my feeling has always been that it's inconsequential. You are ostensibly who my experience makes you, and the experiences that I have with a character are as real as they are with someone who is "real". Everyone on the internet is real, even when they aren't. Maybe especially when they aren't.

Point being that I don't think the writer past a certain point can "retire" a character. What about people who don't see this post, or who died before you got to post it? Or what if people just disregard it? At this point the character as an experience is out of your hands.

There's an egoism to the reveal though that is interesting. The idea that you the author are in control of the audience to the degree that you can pick the story's end in this sort of setting is a special level of arrogance. There's an inate notion of "oh I fooled you", but the person who has been fooled is you because this entire time you thought you were more real than your creation, when in the eyes of the audience there is still no difference.

What's the difference between a Crazy Amy or a Penny Anne Meyer? Just different characters. Neither more real to anyone here than another, y'know.

I'd be interested to know why you bothered with "retiring"?


It's interesting. So often you'll here shit like "but if you meet me in real life" or "in reality I'm more like this..." and so on, without people realizing that the internet is something more than just some technological aether: you are inherently representing yourself merely by being present (" "). Like you said, "you are ostensibly who my experience makes you", which is truly ubiquitous regarding interactions, but often overlooked via the internet. It seems that people feel like they are acting as a character online without accepting that they are always acting as a character in corporeal situations as well. Perhaps it's just that people don't accept that they are creating a focused perception/revelatory experience of themselves anytime they interact anywhere, and because they're so used to doing it in "real life" they're awareness level is lowered to a point of self-impsoed ignorance?

You have your professional persona, your family persona, your friend persona, your lover persona, your internet persona etc. etc. etc., and they all create the spectrum that is "you"(intrinsically) but folks tend to treat their online persona as less valid- I think because they feel almost literally detached from it-without accepting it as merely one more aspect of themselves; perhaps because we (globally) are still in the process of accepting that the internet is a palpable aspect of life in general [e.g. older heads who don't even fuck with computers because they are unfamiliar and choose to remain that way, myself not having a facebook or twitter account knowing full well in a few years I'm goign to have to for what I'm planning to do, etc.].

I may have a familiar perspective because I have very close friends that I've met online who are scattered across the country but with whom I maintain levels of intimacy with-people that I've known now for a decade-and yet it's still weird when I speak of them because I introduce them as "my internet friends" or "someone I met online"; people are automatically skeptical.

I'm rambling I think at this point, but I hope that makes sense....this is an interesting phenomenon that I feel will necessarily die out within a couple/few decades.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:55 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
pedavis



Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 1425
Location: Illinois, US
 Reply with quote  

Good thing plum posted in this thread or my time spent reading it would've been wasted.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:56 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair


Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 1920
Location: kc
 Reply with quote  

Wait though Crazy Amy.

You aren't Crazy Amy on the internet. You are Crazy Amy in real life.

I knew of your legend through friends in Minneapolis waaaay before of this forum. You are infamously "Crazy Amy" and have been for some time. In real life.

Unless I am mistaken, you didn't choose that moniker. You were dubbed that because of your actions. Because you're fuckin' crazy in real life.

I'm not trying to diss. But people don't get to end their legend because they want it to stop. Zane with the Shit-weed from Independence Ave. in KCK doesn't get to stop being Zane with the Shit-weed. It's how the cards were dealt. Actually, it's how he played the cards he was dealt. Any time it ever really came down to it we would go see "Zane with the Shit-weed." Then it got to the point where people would say "I'm in Midtown with Chris, Tray, Shaggy and Zane with the Shit-weed." Even if he didn't have shit-weed anymore.

If you consciously decided to create Crazy Amy one day and the entire city and/or internet acknowledged it and played along, then my mistake, carry on. But I am almost positive that you were given that alias by MPLS. No?
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:38 am
 View user's profile Send private message
C.R.A.Z.Y



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 2734
Location: Vote for me and i'll vote for you.
 Reply with quote  

Mac Lethal wrote:

Unless I am mistaken, you didn't choose that moniker. You were dubbed that because of your actions. Because you're fuckin' crazy in real life.

I'm not trying to diss. But people don't get to end their legend because they want it to stop.

If you consciously decided to create Crazy Amy one day and the entire city and/or internet acknowledged it and played along, then my mistake, carry on. But I am almost positive that you were given that alias by MPLS. No?


The story is that a guy named Stony B. in Milwaukee called me Crazy Amy to a friend on the phone because I sold him a bag of used shrooms for 3 dollars, hence the moniker Crazy Amy. If Crazy Amy were real she would be in jail by now. I'm just a writer. I undertook a long research project. It was not limited to the internet, I appeared as Crazy Amy on stage, in the media and in real life as well.

People do end their " legends " because they want it to stop. Well, at least the good ones can. That's what makes them legends in the first place. That's why Paul Sheldon almost lost a leg to Kathy Bates over Misery Chastain.

Mpls did not give me that moniker.

Penny.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:11 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Blackstone Valley



Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 3587
 Reply with quote  

was: who gives a shit, who gives a fuck.

now: this thread just took a turn for the awesome.

so what'll it be Crazy Amy? your move.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:14 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Asterax



Joined: 21 Nov 2002
Posts: 1883
Location: Maine
Re: The character of Crazy Amy is being retired  Reply with quote  

Flossin wrote:
C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
I am officially retiring her character, 1/19/11.


So 3 more days of this?
Wasn't there a thread here somewhere where somebody found your profile on a different site and posted your real name?


Maybe she still in her "Crazy" character to make us go crazy in this thread. Crazy.

In all honesty, I have never been entertained by this type of art. Its a bit too cerebral for me and its infringes upon a personal level of practicality in what I constitute as interesting art.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:22 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19374
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

Ha. Also Sage has been doing this on this board for years.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:28 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP


Joined: 19 Jul 2002
Posts: 7795
 Reply with quote  

i ate your character

and i shit some bonkers

bonkers in effect

effect of the bonkers

bumble clott

blistah

boo ya boo ya

booyahkahsha!

woooooooop
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:36 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Elorza



Joined: 18 Sep 2002
Posts: 1003
Location: east coast
 Reply with quote  

Reminds me of J.T. LeRoy. Christ that shit was grating.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Asterax



Joined: 21 Nov 2002
Posts: 1883
Location: Maine
 Reply with quote  

futuristxen wrote:
Ha. Also Sage has been doing this on this board for years.


Yeah, and I always thought that shit was stupid. I think that distinction in how I view this form of art is one of the reasons why I have never fully embraced this board.

I don't think its an insult towards this style by any means, more an observation. There must be others who view it the same way.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Captiv8



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 8547
Location: Third Coast
 Reply with quote  

I always thought it was Crazy Penny from the jump.
Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:50 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:09 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon