Search
Register
Do you keep a gun in your bedroom?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Confidential

Hell no I don't keep a gun in my bedroom. There are no guns in the house. I have relatives that are gun enthusiasts, they have glocks, mossbergs, and a mauser rifle. I've known people to get shot and killed, guns would'nt make me feel any better. I've only known people to get shot and killed at parties, or get locked up for carrying, or used them in Nam and regret it, or do target practice. never known anyone to use in self defense or in a situation where guns saved their life. Okay, I guess you could argue in nam, but that's different than having one as a civilian in the bedroom. Over the years I've noticed I've lightened up, just out of curiosity, but guns and ammo mags turn me off to gun culture. Not in my culture. My culture predates guns. The environment I am from, probably goes for most places in the US, gun violence is kind of normalized in the everyday language, as if the possibility is always there. Ideologically, I make conscious efforts to not think of the social world as a hostile place, but its hard to think that way all the time, sometimes the fear of neighbors, fear of strangers creeps in.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:47 am
futuristxen

Historically I've been ambivilent to owning any guns, but considering everyone in Missouri has a gun practically, the wife and I have been discussing getting a gun, if nothing else to protect ourselves for when things get really bad economically and society crashes. There's way too many hoarders/survivalists out here for comfort.

I was saying a crossbow would be a better investment though, since you can reuse the arrows.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:14 am
Nahgied

isnt a gun for protection a bit of overkill? I'm going to say a baseball bat or a similar object is the end of reasonable behaviour, even that, I dunno. Seems paranoid. Who do I need protecting from? If someone is there to rob me making a lot of noise and calling the cops should be alright.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:33 am
ROTTY

I have a baseball bat and a shillelagh plus my girlfriend is mega hard!
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:02 am
AdamBomb

Nahgied wrote:
isnt a gun for protection a bit of overkill? I'm going to say a baseball bat or a similar object is the end of reasonable behaviour, even that, I dunno. Seems paranoid. Who do I need protecting from? If someone is there to rob me making a lot of noise and calling the cops should be alright.

I don't own a gun (and didn't grow up with them), but I am seriously thinking about getting one or more. Its not overkill if the person breaking in has a gun. In reference to bats, Sammy Sosa can't swing his way through a glock (just sayin).

Also, unless you live next door to a police station, odds are the criminal isn't going to hang out until they get there. You are also rolling the dice that the people robbing you won't also harm you.

I think locks and an alarm system are the best way to protect yourself, but if there is ever one time those methods fail and you have a family to protect, what then?

Im not a gun nut, but I just don't trust the goodwill of today's criminals. Some of these younger folks do not have a conscience. Guess it also depends if you live in Mayberry or not.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:21 am
FuseONE

i don't own one, but several of my friends/relatives do. i wouldn't mind having one if i could afford it. guns are pretty expensive.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:49 am
anomaly
Loserface

I have a 12 gauge Mossberg shortstock just in case. Keep it loaded under my bed. It can get hood in my neighborhood. I've never had to shoot anyone and I don't look forward to it if that day comes.

Worse case scenario, I'd swing it at someone and only pull the trigger if it was life or death.
Then I'd skin them and wear their face as a hat.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 am
Brynjar

Mr Jenkins wrote:
Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
Mr Jenkins wrote:
i've never known or heard of anyone that has a gun for protection

Just out of curiosity...where do you live?

New Zealand... there’s a debate here at the moment whether our cops should carry guns…

What Mr Jenkins said but switch out New Zealand and guns for Iceland and tasers.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:00 am
FuseONE

I fired a 12 gauge shotgun once. It almost took my shoulder off. I felt like I could've taken down a herd of buffalo with it though, lol
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:02 am
Lonely Shinobi

just my opinion, but i reckon if you feel the need to have a gun in your own bedroom for protection, it is time to move country
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:03 am
mancabbage

i tell the ladies i do, but its actually more the size of an opal fruit that spits love piss with the urgency of a tortoise taking a shit....

got a baseball bat cos pikeys kept coming to try and steal my motorbike, chased em with it a couple of times and they aint been back so all good
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:06 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

i own two shotguns but neither of them are at my house
no need for them, there locked in my brothers gun safe at his house

whenever i end up living by my self i will have one in my house without a doubt in my mind
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:22 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

hearing the shells being racked in something like this(this is a picture of mine) would be a major theft deterrent and hopefully be enough to scare someone out of the house before it comes down to having to shoot
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:31 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

question for people who have shotguns for home defense

what kind of rounds do you guys use, slug, birdshot? low velocity rounds??

just curious is all
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:38 am
FranktheP

I have two 9mm handguns in my closet. I have not touched them but to put them in the closet in years. I used to carry a gun daily when I worked for an armored car company. Not a big fan but I do keep them. The ammo stays far away and hidden due to my youngest daughter at one time (5-6 years ago) having a fascination with guns.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:50 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next