Search
Register
Gabrielle Giffords shooting
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

poisonfree

The day before my coworker (just moved to CA from AZ) was blabbing about how awesome it was that everyone had guns there and that there was zero crimes because everyone kept everyone in check.

He also told me he loved Palin because he could see her living in his neighborhood, and going hunting with him.

People are insane.
Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:21 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Asterax

Quote:

"I mean, this is a situation where -- I mean, people don't -- they really need to realize that the rhetoric and firing people up and, you know, even things, for example, we're on Sarah Palin's targeted list. But the thing is that the way that she has it depicted has the crosshairs of a gunsight over our district. When people do that, they've gotta realize there's consequences to that action."

-- Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ), in a MSNBC interview earlier this year.

As well as:

Quote:

A Sarah Palin staffer insisted in a radio interview that their use of a crosshair graphic on a midterm election "target list" -- that included the district of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) -- was not intended to allude to guns, Alaska Dispatch reports.

Said Rebecca Mansour: "We never ever, ever intended it to be gun sights," explaining "It's surveyor's symbols."

However, Palin's own tweet just after the election was unambiguous: "Remember months ago 'bullseye' icon used 2 target the 20 Obamacare-lovin' incumbent seats? We won 18 out of 20 (90% success rate;T'aint bad)" [the link to this tweet has already been removed]
Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:16 pm
Confidential

I think this that some better logic and reasoning skills for everyone would do this country good.
Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:22 pm
jehu

Confidential wrote:
I think this that some better logic and reasoning skills for everyone would do this country good.

fuck you, this is america. if you don't like it, then leave!
Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:54 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

surveyor's symbols, haha, some PR guy just got a nice bonus for coming up with that one.
Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:02 pm
futuristxen

jehu wrote:
Confidential wrote:

fuck you, this is america. if you don't like it, then leave!

Actually it seems it's "if you don't like it, then I'll shoot you"
Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:38 pm
badjerk

decided to see how the stormfront community (white power forum) was discussing this (thanks to sff, possibly mean, for introducing me to that tunnel of wisdom)

i just clicked through but saw a lot of people hoping the shooter didnt turn out to be a white nationalist and instead to be an 'illegal.' its kind of indicative of most things ive read about this story so far. everyone hoping the shooter turns out to be their political opposite, providing an easy narrative to support their contention that 'they' are the problem. i cant say that i wasnt secretly hoping the shooter turned out to be a palin-loving TEA partier, so i suppose im guilty as well.

they are very self-aware over there, at least in that thread. (dont think ive looked at that forum for years, since last time someone posted it here) they keep mentioning how many guests are viewing the forum and self-moderating any 'crazy' talk. quite fascinating really.

Here's a quick example exchange from page 72...

Poster A:
"Having read through a great deal of this thread, I can say, in no uncertain terms, that I am disgusted by many of the comments being posted therein. Making light of the tragic events that transpired -- whether it's to make cheap political points or to demonstrate how completely callous you happen to be, as an individual -- is truly denigrating to this site. No doubt, the random observer will have little cause to reevaluate his or her position on the broader question of White Nationalism after having observed a number of the statements posted here."

Response poster B:

"Actually most posters in this thread have done an excellent job, and I can say I'm proud of us. Questionable posts were called out, reported, and dealt with. This whole story is a tragedy, many shot, 6 killed, including a nine year old girl who was just trying to learn about politics. It doesn't matter if the congresswoman was Jewish, or if the judge was a little off the scale, what matters is a lunatic gunman gunned innocent people down. America is mourning right now, and Goddammit, we mourn with her."

of course theres also this:

-75% of casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan are white, as stated by an official report. And Obama commander-in-chief tolerates (encourages?) a policy of catch and release for Taliban fighters. The same ones who have and will again kill white soldiers.

-White Americans are losing jobs while illegal immigrants gain jobs, see here.

-Meth is a deadly drug used primarily by working class whites. Obama administration refusal to secure the border helps Mexican cartels poison our people with it. In fact Border Patrol Agent Terry was killed PROTECTING smugglers from "bandits".

-Discrimination against whites is blatant, not just through affirmative action but in everyday life. Like Walmart stores in formerly white middle America:

would advise to consider browsing using safemode in case you want to visit for yourself without having stormfront show up in your history.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:45 am
badjerk

also some guy recorded palin's facebook wall moderating patterns here

http://obamalondon.blogspot.com/2011/01/inexplicable-edits-on-sarah-palins.html

they deleted all mentions of the crosshair map or otherwise non-palin-supporting posts within minutes, but left this one up:

"It's ok. Christina Taylor Green was probably going to end up a left wing bleeding heart liberal anyway. Hey, as 'they' say, what would you do if you had the chance to kill Hitler as a kid? Exactly."

(Green is the 9 yr old girl that was killed)
smh. even if the comment was 'sarcastic/satirical' its unreal that they chose to keep it posted while vigilantly deleting many others at the same time.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:55 am
futuristxen

It's been remarkable to watch the Palin crew scrub their internet presence of anything even remotely incriminating. They're doing it so fast, you have to wonder if they didn't have a plan in case this happened. I guess you would have to with the rhetoric she puts out there.

Too bad for her that the rest of the internet is doing a good job of keeping track of this, and her quotes are never going to go away.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:17 am
medicineman
HALFLING

T-Wrex wrote:
spooky..
seems like a bright kid..

What? He sounds like a babbling insane person with no sense of logic or how to construct a reasoned argument. This is some of the most meandering unintelligible nonsense I've ever seen in my life. And I've gone to community college.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:05 am
Bicycle

Wasted oppurtunity. Nobody cares about a congress woman

coulda taken out the whole Today Show crew and I wouldn't be watching them jerk themselves off about their influence in this whole bullshit

the huffington post lets me listen to the 911 phone call audio
Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:35 am
Confidential

That Stormfront banter is interesting, seeing as the nazi strategy has been to have a more mainstream appeal, which, seems to have worked to a degree as some white nationalist tendencies have been given legitimate space in state and national debates.

And these individuals always seem to have vague political frameworks - usually some anti-government tendencies but with burgeois taxation gripes and some white nationalism for good measure. I checked a forum of what I would call "insurrectionary leftists," some of who might still fantasize about RAF-style internationalism I would think might think about how to read events like this, but they don't seem to be talking much. Just some lame facebook comments like "this is why we need guns- for self-defense against these nutcases." Also on my mom's democratic club list serve they are saying "this is why we need gun control." Interesting how varying political persuasions interpret the event in a way that confirms their beliefs. So it seems anti-government peeps - folks both from the left and right who theoretically might consider this a score, are distancing themselves from this. Lesson: is that political assassination in a contemporary US context will always alienate the public get interpreted (rightly so, I suppose) as an individual psychosis and won't advance any political struggle to any degree. So I wonder under what context and circumstances has moves like this helped? I know in some anti-colonial struggles, like Algeria, terror was used as a tactic in what would be a successful peoples movement.

The connection between the AZ sheriff's comments, the Palin targets, the AZ legislations was too clear for the news media not to point out this time. Lucky for the right that these actions are only connected in rhetoric- which the public is kind of slow to identify and forgetful - and not in the name of a particular Tea Party organization.

I don't know if that's kind of cold for me to think in terms of political analysis instead of "I pray for the victims recovery...sad day for America..blah blah blah." I must have got cynical about shit like this at some point.
Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:15 pm
zeem

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:11 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Bristol just won my vote.

Also this:

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:48 pm
jehu

zeem wrote:

zing kong aint got ish on bristol?
Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:51 pm