Search
Register
RIP 2010. Long live 2011!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

RIP 2010. Long live 2011!  Reply with quote  

2010 was a hell of a year. Alas, a new year is upon us and not a moment too soon.

I spent the first day of 2011 preparing for my trip to South Africa, where I will be spending the month of January assisting in the treatment and care of children who are infected with HIV. There's not much I can say about this trip at the moment but I look forward to sharing my experiences and reporting on my findings with everyone very soon.

I was initially hoping to do a comprehensive 2010 year-in-review for myself and Strange Famous Records. However, it's looking like that will take much more work than I have time for at the moment. I'll save the details for a lengthy chapter of the book I keep promising to write. We released a lot of great albums, filmed some incredible videos, and toured the world. Some of us became engaged while others had children. On the flip side, a of us lost some close friends and family throughout the course of the year.

I want to thank everyone who gave support and contributed to the positive experiences of 2010. I'd also like to give my heartfelt condolences to my friends and family who are dealing with the loss of some great people. Stay up and trudge through the muck for the sake of yourselves as well as those who are around you.

It looks like I will spend this year involving myself with world travel, charity work, song recording, video production, book writing, album releasing, punching myself in the face and hopefully losing the 150 pounds I've gained since high school. Here's to having a positive, productive and healthy 2011!
Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:45 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Thanks for routing Detroit in 2010... even thought there still might've been an ambush of one hundred boys waiting to fucking kill you.

Good luck on the weight loss.
Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:05 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Don't hold your breath on the weight loss. Hold your breath on everything else though.
;-)
Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:18 pm
Asterax

What a great idea! You are definitely going to enjoy life abroad and an extended break from American culture. Having come back from living abroad two weeks ago, I can tell you the biggest difference I've noticed is how uptight and individualistic Americans are among each other. Have a great trip and immerse yourself in the culture.

Have you tried learning some Afrikaans? The more you try learning the local languages (obviously English is spoken already in SA) the better off you'll be in understanding as much as possible about the place you are in.

Again good luck!
Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:18 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

Definitely a year I am, for the most part, glad to leave in the past. I guess the most notable thing about 2010 for me was that it was the year when my friends and peers started to die from lifestyle choices. That has been pretty real for me over the past couple of weeks. As El-p said, 'I've been wondering how arrogant it is for me to keep doing the things that killed so many that we know'...Also, I should probably stop banging people who bang things. And get my blood checked.

In other news, I financially backpedaled, had my heart broken, landed back in legal trouble after several years free and clear, etc, etc. But I'm not a poor child with AIDS in Africa, so enough of my bitching.

On the plus side, my awesome rockin band completed an EP so my first 'official' record release is right around the corner! Played some very successful shows. Several of my friends' bands have started to tour the Midwest successfully. My friend released his first short film and it won several awards including the best overall film at our local film festival. In general I am watching my artistically inclined friends develop to the level where they are starting to produce 'real' work or whatever and that's pretty cool. So looking forward to that develop over the coming year.

Happy New Year to everyone and good luck in the months to come.
Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:56 pm
Dream Inspired

wow. i didn't realize why you were going to south africa... ! that's a great thing for you to do, sage.... i imagine it will be as painful an experience as it will be fulfilling, but i'm proud that you're going to sacrifice your time and self like that.
you're a bigger man than i.
actually, i would like to do something like that someday too...

after all of the loss' that happened in 2010 i've been feeling ashamed that i don't try harder in career and in life, so i resolve myself to try harder in 2011.
2011!!!
2011!!!!!!!!!!
:)
Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:12 pm
Majawala

what can't you say?!? i hate mystery but gotta learn how to live with it.

this is one of my favorite lyrics of yours because of the implication

"Hey, Bobby...the Masters are back. They're up to no good just like the old days.
They played dead when you stood over their grave, Bobby. They played dead when you stood over their grave.
"Hey, Bobby...them bastards are back. It's our turn to stand over their grave.
I'm a do it right this time...I'm awake...I'm a wait until their fuckin' skin decays."

how do you feel about this now? i used to have hope it would happen. maybe i'm growing more cynical, or maybe more reasonable, i can't know, but I think that there will always be an elite that uses its power in nasty ways and its power will rise and fall just like it always has. I miss my youthful optimism.
Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:57 pm
MYOWNCLICHE

I wish you safe travels. And I will admit I'm alittle jealous because I know what you are about to experience. No words can prepare you.
You continue to amaze me..but why am I not surprised?? There are so many chapters in you.
Wishing you and all of the SFR forum members a fullfilling 2011.

hmm..you know I'm going to be the first in line to buy the book.
Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:13 pm
Mikal kHill

Good luck with that trip! sounds intense!
Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:11 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

edit: just me being neurotic

cant wait for SFR in 2011

Last edited by Neuro on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:47 am
deboma

T-Wrex wrote:
Thanks for routing Detroit in 2010... even thought there still might've been an ambush of one hundred boys waiting to fucking kill you.

Good luck on the weight loss.

hahaha that made me laugh really hard

yeah. good luck. everyone needs a break & it sounds like you've got a lot of stuff planned. & that's pretty awesome.
glad i had a chance to see you live again before all this.
Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:47 am
Z-0

best of luck with your South African endeavour. i'm starting work with two teenagers with HIV on an art project, a play specifically, beginning on tuesday.
Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:14 am
remind

Nice video segment. Nice start to 2011!
Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:12 am
DiViNCi gnosis
revorutionary

Not to depersonalize your recent headspace.. but it seems like a lot of people, musicians especially. (myself included) are coming to the same place in there life.. Re-evaluating.. Re-prioritizing. I know the industry climate has a lot to do with it.

I LOVE YOU SAGE! I hope you have a good time in SA... It's gonna be a hell of an experience.. I'm sure!
Post Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:10 pm
Buddy Peace

I have good feelings about 2011 - I hope it works out amazingly for everyone. While crazy things can happen and it can go exactly how you don't want it to, it feels like the changes in approaches and new industry scenery being built as we speak could go well, and that it can be adapted for a more positive atmosphere... I don't know, I hope so... All the best for 2011, is what I'm saying.
Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:18 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next