Search
Register
The t-shirt design thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

^ Probably with many high mesh count screens that can withstand half-tone dots. I never had the patience to line up all those screen properly...

b.Freyer..... I would suggest tooling around with other text layouts other than circles or arcs and either have the design be typographically or graphically dominant, the second one seems like they are fighting each other since they seem to take up the same amount of space.

The one that I would develop further if I were you is the last one. I like the font and the placement, and cleaning up the handlebar mustachioed Sage on e'rybody's face is fun. I'd make it all high contrast b/w and then print it in a sepia tone.

Keep playing!!
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:42 am
Jesse Custer

Yeah the last one of those is defo my favourite..
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:40 pm
McTools

Crazym we've got that original Pardee painting here in the studio,

Photobucket

didn't know he made a shirt though, is it Upper Playground?
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:18 pm
kese

Neuro wrote:
kese what about designs without all the bold vector lines/ stamp look

how do you do those? for an example an alex pardee shirt

while it does include blacklines its mostly just color

this shirt was one of his paintings

this is the style i am interested in

This is a High-end printing job like i was talking about where it would be completely processed in PS.
So obviously it starts off with a painting, with the painting being Pardee's intention. They must have taken a good high res-photo of that. Then it looks like he has reworked it digitally. To get it printed they would have taken the steps to separate it into CMYK process/ simulated process channels in PS, which like Zag said are printed through high mesh count screens as fine halftones that blend with each other.

Full Color photo separation is specialized work which takes a great amount of time and can be rather expensive for the client to pay for, and doesn't make sense unless you're looking to print in high quantities, like UP and Pardee. I would say this is generally not done by the original designer (or Pardee in this case) but sent to the printer who knows more about how and why certain things print they way they do.

You can also print something like that digitally, and skip all the color separation, but the price per piece is higher, making it impractical for larger runs.

If the intention is to design for t-shirts there are many ways to go. From what I've seen from you, b.Freyer, I would absolutely start learning Illustrator, which i would think will help you with the style you'd like to achieve. When I first started learning it, I was a bit intimidated by the pen tool with all the points and curves, but once you get going learning them the amount of manipulation while maintaining a tight, clean, scalable graphic is amazing.

With using Illustrator in CS4 I'm not sure how much a pen tablet may help as compared to a mouse. There are more pen tablet oriented drawing tools in AI CS5, but generally i prefer using the mouse when moving around points and beziers...

In Photoshop.... it's priceless. I picked one up earlier this year, and i'm not sure of why i waited so damn long. I'm just starting to get the hang of it now...
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:52 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

kese , i highly recommend you trying autodesk sketchbook pro for drawing with a tablet, you can get a free trial on the site, for drawing it puts photoshop to shame, in my opinion. and of course you still use the images in photoshop and all that for touch ups or whateva

i have that alex pardee shirt, and it is a top-notch quality shirt, fabric and all

its alex's own company called Eye Suck Ink, which could have help from upperplayground im sure
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:09 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

mc tools, where do you work?

that painting is beautiful

how did you get that? what else are you showing?
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:16 pm
b.Freyer

Thank everyone for the help, it's appreciated. I'm going to take all the advise and run with it. As soon as I have something finished I'll posted it back up here
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:46 am
McTools

Neuro wrote:
mc tools, where do you work?

that painting is beautiful

how did you get that? what else are you showing?

I work at Lair Hill Media here in Portland OR, we got Portland Underground Recordings, Momentum Studios, Someone clothing, Focused Noise Entertainment, Taxidermy Records, Camobear Records, and Greenwood Photography in the building.

Thanks man, we got a art gallery in the building too, but that one's out of my private collection. Got it at Upper Playground when the last Pardee show came through. We've also got work from CORO, Mear 1, N8 Van Dyke, Craola, Usugrow, and others. Here's my fav,

Photobucket

Called "Hamburger Hill" by N8 Van Dyke, this puppy sits in my office, very art spoiled over here :)
Post Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:10 am
b.Freyer

@ Kese (if still reading this post) or anyone else that might know.

Ok, I've been doing some practicing will Illustrator and after doing some research I have read that using a pen and tablet would be beneficial to for getting a precise look that I want in graphics. Since I'm an Apple guy, I'm thinking of purchasing this Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch. Has anyone used this, or one like it?
Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:50 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

get the intous4 , get the small one

it is much better and not too much more than a bamboo
Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:15 pm
b.Freyer

Neuro wrote:
get the intous4 , get the small one

it is much better and not too much more than a bamboo

Thanks, I'm going to Google it now. Appreciated.
Post Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:17 pm
kese

I've got the Intuos 4 and would highly recommend it.

I guess it could theoretically help in Illustrator. But when using the pen tool to create vector graphics you physically draw less than you plot points and curves.
The precision comes from the math behind the points and curves.

Now if you were talking PS, I'd say yeah, precision is incomparable when using the Wacom for input. Like I said... i still use the mouse for most things in Illustrator. Having a Wacom will not make you a better designer.
Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:31 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Beyond the program tools you're using, there's still the matter of figuring out design styles. What works, what doesn't, and why. Graphic design incorporates a lot of different crafts and skill sets. Much like music, a lot of people think they can do it, but the special few who actually CAN do it need to protect their secrets. Believe that. This is why no one has mentioned MS Paint yet. And I'm sorry if I'm blowing up anyone's spot right now but...yeah...MS Paint.
Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:40 am
b.Freyer

Sage Francis wrote:
Beyond the program tools you're using, there's still the matter of figuring out design styles. What works, what doesn't, and why. Graphic design incorporates a lot of different crafts and skill sets. Much like music, a lot of people think they can do it, but the special few who actually CAN do it need to protect their secrets. Believe that. This is why no one has mentioned MS Paint yet. And I'm sorry if I'm blowing up anyone's spot right now but...yeah...MS Paint.

I figure the best thing for me to do is practice at and do as much reading with it as possible. Like most things that I do in life, I'll develop my own style, now if it turns out to be a good style or not, it'll be my own style and will show if I am capable of doing this or not. It's going to take time, and I'm sure I'll have fun doing this. Guess we'll see what happens.
Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:46 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

b.Freyer wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:

I figure the best thing for me to do is practice at and do as much reading with it as possible. Like most things that I do in life, I'll develop my own style, now if it turns out to be a good style or not, it'll be my own style and will show if I am capable of doing this or not. It's going to take time, and I'm sure I'll have fun doing this. Guess we'll see what happens.

that right there buddy, you just gave the best advice to your own questions
Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:28 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next