Search
Register
Henry Rollins - here's a discussion that could go many ways
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

PoetryBox

This might be off topic but when I first met sage it was at his Hamilton show with rise agianst. I was chatting with him at the merch table when a fight broke out right beside the table, sage immediately went into a battle stance to protect his laptop and I remember thinking "oh shit sage is gonna take someone out." Unfortunatly sage didnt take anyone out and the sercuity took care of the fight.
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:06 am
BillyDistro

One time in Denver I believe someone threw a lighter at Sage and it hit him on the head. He actually caught it, lit it and said WHOEVER THREW THAT IS INVITED ON STAGE TO FIGHT ME.

I think the crowd all drew a silent breath in at once because it was obvious Sage was pissed, rightfully so. I think the kid just got kicked out to Sage fucking with the lighter and saying "You were man enough to throw it. Be man enough to get it!"

Thanks for that slap video Sage I hadn't seen it yet and had always wondered what was up from the audio on HOPE.
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:52 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

It's funny to read and it makes me laugh but that's just weird. I mean...the whole "be a man" thing. hahaa. I'm not sure if this the same event you're talking about, but I do remember catching a lighter and throwing it directly back in the guy's face. Now THAT...I'm proud of.
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:31 pm
Alan Hague

He does come across as hyper-sensitive here. That said, I'm definitely biased in my complete and utter disdain for all things hipster, so I have no problem with watching him (attempt to) embarrass them in public. It's probably unfair to assume all hipsters deserve that, though.

I also think that it's bullshit that Rollins can't just go into a record store and be left alone. At the same time, though, he very knowingly presents himself as a public figure, so I guess that's the inevitable consequence of the life he's living.

When it comes to Black Flag's material, there's a very noticeable decline in quality after "My War." There are occasional awesome songs here and there, but there are mostly AWFUL songs on those later albums - "Rat's Eyes," "This Is Good." Honestly, though (and it pains me to say it, because he's one of my favorite guitar players), I think it had more to do with Greg Ginn's songwriting than with Rollins.
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:14 am
anomaly
Loserface

tommi teardrop wrote:
Plus he was kind of a dick to Nardwuar:

DEAR GOD, I can't stand Nardwuar. Just listening to that got my anxiety up there. I couldn't imagine being on tour and meeting w/ that guy when I'm trying to relax a bit. I'd either walk off or slap him. Maybe I'm not canadian enough to get the schtick, but Henry was more calm that I could've remained.
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:15 pm
erich

aggression at shows is something i've been considering a lot recently. when i was at the PFA show in NYC last weekend, i got shoved into someone that i think People With Teeth knew and i got the feeling they lumped me in with the rowdy guys up front. (to be clear, my whole thing is getting right up front and seeing how little i can budge, and i did not know any of the other people up front.)

anyway, i've been an aggressive person in my life and i'm glad to have worked on that, but i have also found myself in show-mode and realized how close i've come to popping off. it's not cool, and it makes sense to me that a portion of the crowd would bounce at that point. when the performer, the center of attention, is involved in violence, there's no limit to what can happen, you know?

but at the same time, there are people who will fuck with you just because you're some stranger coming into their town. everything i know about dealing with that kind of situation is based around showing willingness to escalate. but if i'm being real, i'm not a big guy and i don't travel with a band. it's just not safe for me to react to every show of hostility. so what to do? i guess i try to shut it down quick and just keep things moving. it's something i consider a lot when i'm playing away games. i am hyper-aware of victimization basically all the time anyway, though.

that video of rollins seems like a different thing, though. if he really wanted to end that guy, he'd have hit him with the mic.
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:19 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

erich wrote:
aggression at shows is something i've been considering a lot recently. when i was at the PFA show in NYC last weekend, i got shoved into someone....

i used to love the aggression factor at a live show.. but now it just takes a toll on my old body... back before i went to any indi-rap shows, i went to a lot of indi-metal shows.. (Mostly at Harpos.. A heavy metal venue in the middle of inner city Detroit.. its very mad maxish...)

so.. flash forward a couple years.... i was at Se7en's Travels in Ann Arbor and Dibbs throws on MOP.. I see a mosh pit start to form.. I run in it and shove the first kid I see.. He goes flying and leaves the pit.. I shove another kid and he bounces.. so I figure it's not a real mosh pit and I leave too..

i think i might've shoved Dr Sag at the last Sage show before i knew it was him..
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:49 pm
anomaly
Loserface

my first mosh pit was Nine Inch Nails in 1995 and I ended up in the middle of it by accident. I was walking back from the bathroom to my spot on the lawn and cut through this big open area w/ no people. (the pit) All of a sudden the hard part of the song started and the crowd fucked me up w/ the quickness.
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:02 pm
erich

i think there's a difference between the traditional punk ethos of endangering your body as a form of release and going to shows specifically to injure other people. it's a tough line to draw, but i generally avoid involving myself in the latter. if i want to add misanthropy to injury, i'll do it in the privacy of my bedroom.
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:09 pm
Confidential

CAUSE I'M A LIIIAAARRR!!!!!
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:29 pm
jehu

Sage Francis wrote:
BillyDistro,

That's just a good punkrock interaction right there. Not really related to what we're discussing here. I don't think so anyway. That guy Rollins threw punches at has most likely received more punishment in a pit. As you can see he has a smile on his face the whole time. Also, the title of the video is misleading. He didn't really "beat up" a fan.

Hell, I make less aggressive music than Rollins and I've had a number of physical altercations with "fans" on every singly tour that I've been on. Touring can bring the best and worst out of people. It's sad to say, but this is a part of the reason why I've decided to stop doing it.

Since we're on the topic, and as I know it's never been shared before, here's a video of an altercation I had with a fan in San Francisco back in 2003.

what exactly was thrown at you again and were you hurt by it?
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:00 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I think it was a crumpled up piece of paper. It obviously didn't hurt me, but I was performing my song. I got hit by one wad of paper during the song....and then right at the end of the song another one was thrown. I certainly wasn't hurt by it. It was a matter of principle for me in that moment. Especially after I asked him why he did it. And then eventually he threw his arms at me and tried climbing up on stage. There are fewer things that are as gratifying as throwing someone like that off the stage by their face. I've done it maybe two times in my life and I feel sorry for the majority of people who will never know the thrill. haha
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:12 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Sage Francis wrote:
I think it was a crumpled up piece of paper. It obviously didn't hurt me, but I was performing my song. I got hit by one wad of paper during the song....and then right at the end of the song another one was thrown. I certainly wasn't hurt by it. It was a matter of principle for me in that moment. Especially after I asked him why he did it. And then eventually he threw his arms at me and tried climbing up on stage. There are fewer things that are as gratifying as throwing someone like that off the stage by their face. I've done it maybe two times in my life and I feel sorry for the majority of people who will never know the thrill. haha

I think i've seen a video of you tripping some assclown off stage. that wasn't on the Life Is Easy dvd, was it? In my head, I picture someone stage diving, but you tripping him right before he jumped. Dance Monkey maybe? I don't remember....

Fun worthless fact:
I've seen that dvd plenty of times and often listen to the audio on my ipod at work. The other day I heard I believe the "metadick" interview where you're talking about a pink sock. Only until recently did I know what a "pink sock" actually was. Only took me what......5 years?

Last edited by anomaly on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:48 pm
dilly dilly

I remember when you shoved that Kentucky Fried Chicken guy off the stage by his face... It was absolutely epic. he already had the inertia you needed because he was trying to get on stage quickly... and you just launched his drunk ass back.
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:09 pm
mattarl

dilly dilly wrote:
I remember when you shoved that Kentucky Fried Chicken guy off the stage by his face... It was absolutely epic. he already had the inertia you needed because he was trying to get on stage quickly... and you just launched his drunk ass back.

I was there for that!
the crowd immediately sucked him out the door.
Great Show.
it felt like a perfectly planned and executed set.
Post Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:18 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next