Search
Register
Henry Rollins - here's a discussion that could go many ways
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

tommi teardrop

Henry Rollins is an extremely self obsessed alpha male who loves to hear himself talk. He likes to think that he has put in more work than every one else and that he should be appreciated more than he is. He is the jock of his former punk world.

He's the type of dude that jerks off to his own diary.

He doesn't get acceptance from his former scene and he doesn't really get acceptance from mainstream pop culture, at least not the type of acceptance he wants.

He doesn't get this acceptance because he comes off as an arrogant asshole. And if you've done something groundbreaking artistically, most of us can give you an arrogant asshole artist pass. But Rollins is no artistic messiah.

Every now and then he goes on a non funny George Carlin-esque rant that is mildly entertaining. And I guess he's okay is some films and tv shows.

But the guy exists in his egotistic head so much that it's really hard to like him.

Plus he was kind of a dick to Nardwuar:
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:58 pm
neveragainlikesheep

Bob_ptmfus wrote:
If you think Rollins is a jerk here, check this out

Hahahaha. That was great.

See for some reason I really like that. Maybe it was the ending.

"We don't play for you, we play for us. BLLLLAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRG."
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:58 pm
Confidential

That Nardwuar interview made me grin a lot. Dude does his homework.

Last edited by Confidential on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:12 pm
mancabbage

feel bad for him in that first vid, looks like a bit of a mid life crisis to me :(
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:54 pm
FranktheP

CaptainFantasy wrote:
Rollins ruined Black Flag.

While I probably like the keith morris era of Flag a little bit more, I don't think for a second that Rollins ruined Flag. I almost agree with Henry when he wrote that Spot's production is what lagged on the later era Flag recordings.
Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:49 am
JayAreSea

no offense sage, cause i like rollins (as a personality), but i used to think of you as like a hip-hop version of him. maybe it was the intensity...the honesty...the physical intimidation...attitude...willingness to throw down...or the ice cream-related background? i dunno. but having lurked on these forums for a number of years, i've seen enough differences.

i watched the video before reading your thoughts on it, and i agree mostly. i was sorta cringing as it unfolded, thinking "no no...just walk away, dude." but he didn't. then he brought in that woman who was with him and used her to berate them. while i agree to an extent on his hipster views...this did seem rather unprovoked. ugh.

BUT...this is just one (albeit bad) incident. maybe there have been many more. but maybe not. maybe he was REALLY digging this woman he was with and he, in his mind, felt he was getting called out by a group of hipsters. on camera too. so he reacted way too strongly...in a way he thought would impress the woman he was with. i've seen dudes act ass-backwards when around a woman they're into. and instead of walking away they keep digging. does this sound like a fanboy excusing otherwise deplorable actions? probably.

what's rollins' reputation in his field? is he considered a blowhard? or do people generally respect him? it seems if something like this was a regular thing, and he acted this intimidating and gruffly around most people (not just drunk hipsters and 13 year-old interviewers), he'd have been ostracized a long time ago. it's not like he's relevant and people need him to boost ratings/sales/etc.

in conclusion....sage you should write a Get In The Van type book and be videotaped more often berating drunk hipsters. but only when provoked.
Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:31 pm
jehu

CaptainFantasy wrote:

this is laughable.
Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:41 pm
Confidential

JayAreSea wrote:

in conclusion....sage you should write a Get In The Van type book and be videotaped more often berating drunk hipsters. but only when provoked.

"Get in the Bus, Hop in the Van"
Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:14 pm
bbreakz

I pretty much agree with a lot of what everyone is saying about Rollins here because, he somehow remains interesting and mildly funny even while being a douche/narcissist/blowhard, while still not bothering me too much. I don't know why that is.

The first video makes me cringe. You would think being on stage all his life somehow would wash away his beyond desperate need for attention. But I guess not. The way he runs to the front of that store is like "ME ME ME ME ME!"

The only comment I don't agree with is Rollins ruining Black Flag. The singing was more powerful to me. I don't like Dez era Black Flag. I do like Rollins better than Keith Morris, even though I love Keith Morris. But who am I to say I was a bout 3 years too late for Black Flag anyway.

I have a Rollins Band Tattoo. IT is the cover of Hard Volume. I love the Albums Hard Volume and Lifetime. I like a little of the End of the Silence. After that you can toss the other albums.

To me it was where Black Flag should have gone --more hard rock and less jazzy while still incorporating a little jazz and still being post punk. Plus Sim Cain on Drums was sick live.

Anyway he is a douche and a dork at the same time. At this old age, you would think he would scale both back on and off camera. I don't understand it. He should be content. But like someone said, he thinks he works harder than everyone. Mike Ness has that same no-one-is-more-punk-than-me attitude. Its annoying.

I read a lot of his earlier books but never Get in the Van. Weird huh?
Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:33 pm
CaptainFantasy

jehu wrote:
CaptainFantasy wrote:

this is laughable.

How so? Damaged is regarded as the best Black Flag album. All the best Black Flag songs were on the First Four Years comp with Keith Morris on vocals. Sure Greg Ginn wrote 'em all, but when Rollins joined is when they got into the shit where Rollins was just screaming shit. They never had that shit when Keith was on vocals and the Circle Jerks never had that either, so I'm blaming Rollins not Ginn for that.
Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:28 pm
CaptainFantasy

Don't get me wrong, I think Rollins is a cool motherfucker. I've read that he still goes to support local shows and gets right up front. Rollins band was good musically but I just can't get into most of the Rollins vocals on that stuff. When he did the Infinite Zero record label reissuing a lot of old out of print stuff he got a lot of great stuff that couldn't be found at the time out. Devo, Iceberg Slim, Gang of Four, Matthew Shipp, Flipper, etc. I back him as a person, but as a vocalist I just can't get into most of it.
Post Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 pm
BillyDistro

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:16 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

BillyDistro,

That's just a good punkrock interaction right there. Not really related to what we're discussing here. I don't think so anyway. That guy Rollins threw punches at has most likely received more punishment in a pit. As you can see he has a smile on his face the whole time. Also, the title of the video is misleading. He didn't really "beat up" a fan.

Hell, I make less aggressive music than Rollins and I've had a number of physical altercations with "fans" on every singly tour that I've been on. Touring can bring the best and worst out of people. It's sad to say, but this is a part of the reason why I've decided to stop doing it.

Since we're on the topic, and as I know it's never been shared before, here's a video of an altercation I had with a fan in San Francisco back in 2003.

I believe this is the only instance where a confrontation of mine has been filmed, and a lot of you may recognize it from the audio that was used on the intro to "Tolerance Level" on the Hope album. The agression went beyond those first initial slaps. About 1/3 of the audience left after this incident because, as I believe, this particular San Franciscan crowd was very disturbed to see me act upon my temper. I felt ashamed afterwards, as I always do, but all rules are out the window when I'm on stage. Truth is, I'm more aggressive than I am passive, and that's something I've been working to correct. Yet...when I'm on stage I feel like I'm at war, and the war should be considered part of the performance. Everything is magnified 100 fold during those moments.

JayAreSea mentioned that I used to remind him of a hip-hop version of Rollins. That's not the first time I've heard that, and maybe that's the reason why I've kept Rollins on my radar over the past few years. Because I see that he's involved in the kind of things I'm interested in, I understand where he's coming from, and I can definitely see parallels in the trajectory of our careers. But all in all, I'm not relating to him the way I want to. I'm glad I started this thread, because a lot of people have said things in a way that I wasn't able to put into words.
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:21 am
neveragainlikesheep

I love how Nardwuar broke Henry down. He literally broke Henry down. I suspect that more than anything else Rollins respects the genuine article. Nardwuar, as far as music fans and journalists are concerned, is definitely the real deal even though the form in which he presents himself is odd and quirky. I think that is what got Henry.

Henry tried to pull the "Oh, why are you talking about things from 19XX?" angle, but everything that came after in response, I think, took him by surprise. Seemed like pretty weak resistance, but then again, Nardwuar is a fucking music monster. Who else owns a pristine Danny (of New Kids on the Block fame) doll from the 80's? That is dedication that must be both respected and feared.

I can respect that Henry respects people who are genuine with themselves and others, but it seems that he expects that out of everyone, which is naive. But hey, I get like that too. When someone ells me they are a huge music fan and then says their favorite band of all time is Bon Jovi or whatever, I think "Really?" and I kind of laugh at them on the inside.

It might have been a lot easier for Henry to deal with the fact that the majority of people on this planet are mediocre most of the time if he hadn't wound up on such a tall pedestal. Sure, he deserves it, but at what cost?
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:30 am
Buddy Peace

Re: Henry Rollins - here's a discussion that could go many w  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
It's also strange how he practically uses this woman he is with as a shield. Like, "Look...I'm here with this woman of great honor. Very AUTHENTIC. Why don't you focus on HER. Filter me through her. Boom!"

That's exactly what I got from that. I remember seeing a programme on body language, which talked about politicians who kissed and held babies. They are literally using them as shields and saying "you can try and hurt me but I'm holding a kid so you'll hurt the kid too" - he holds her in a very similar way, literally standing behind her and using her as a human shield.

(this is just a few seconds admittedly but I definitely saw that element)
Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:26 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next