Search
Register
Henry Rollins - here's a discussion that could go many ways
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

the mean wrote:
He is also angry, and focused that anger into some classic jams (I don't include the song "Liar" in that category - he had jumped the shark by then.)

I'm sure this is the popular opinion. And this is probably right around the time where he lost a lot of his hardcore following as it looked like he was trading them in for mainstream fans. And that's potentially true. Because it didn't feel like it was about the music anymore, it was more about the machine using the music as a vehicle to promote the Henry Rollins personality. From there on, the music was secondary. And maybe he knows that too, which is why he so self-conscious about being famous because a lot of his "fans" don't know why he deserves to be. Maybe? I'm not well versed in all things Rollins so it's very possible I'm off base with this breakdown. That said, I like the Liar song/video in all its novelty.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:59 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

When I hear "Liar" in my head, I hear:

Cause I'm a liar, a liar...
My pants are on fire

Then I chuckle to myself.

This is worth checking out:
http://www.dischord.com/release/002/no-policy
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:30 am
this

Shirin Neshat (with Rollins in first video) is an amazing photographer and video artist.

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:38 am
CaptainFantasy

Rollins ruined Black Flag.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:51 pm
anomaly
Loserface

CaptainFantasy wrote:
Rollins ruined Black Flag.

Rollins saved The Chase.

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:01 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

this wrote:
Shirin Neshat (with Rollins in first video) is an amazing photographer and video artist.

Cripes, that looks amazing.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:18 pm
pugg

I find an artist-that-I-dig's song in an ad these days, and I think "good for them". Is that because I'm older now or because I'm thinking there's less moneyoptions for musicians now? Not sure.

And I think Henry was annoyed in that first video because that girl was trying to draw attention to herself. She even name dropped her band. This is amplified by the dude with Rollins' picture on the back of his tape. He should've went about it in a different way.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

pugg wrote:
She even name dropped her band.

Your sentiment here is the same as almost everyone's in the youtube comments section. But as far as I can tell, that wasn't the point of anything she did right up until she was approached aggressively, had a camera pointed at her, and Rollins was grilling her about who she is and what she does. And I sincerely think she was on some, "Look dude...I'm down. I like ya. I'm also in a band." She was clearly nervous and trying to save face.

Last edited by Sage Francis on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:54 pm
anomaly
Loserface

damn, having more time to watch and study that 1st video during my lunch break...........Henry Rollins is a prick.

paraphrasing "when people laugh, i know they're laughing about me"
wow, someone really harshed his mellow w laughter
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:43 pm
Confidential

I think I was too young for Black Flag, I wasn't in the know and mightve been listening to MC Hammer. My first introduction to Henry Rollins was in middle school on some awards show- might've been the Grammys, and he did that Liar song. After that, there was a running joke with our friends where we would be standing around and randomly break into "CAUSE I'm A LIAR!"

I didn't like how he was clutching onto that Iranian girl. He used her in his sly verbal attacks on the hipsters, presupposing that the Iranian girl is bringing the realness, defending Muslim women, while the trust funders were trust funding it up. In my book, that's like using someone else's struggle for your own insecurity- not too cool. Supposing that the hip gals even were mocking him a bit - which didn't seem like the case- he could always take it with a sense of humor. I guess I'm not so concerned with selling out in this case as dissecting that little interaction.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:50 pm
erich

this wrote:

i read "get in the van" cover to cover. i always appreciated rollins' relatively progressive politics. the trailer for this movie by itself might be better than his whole catalog combined.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:08 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:13 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

Confidential wrote:
I think I was too young for Black Flag, I wasn't in the know and mightve been listening to MC Hammer.

Timeline is a little bit off, but I get your point.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:20 pm
Bob_ptmfus

If you think Rollins is a jerk here, check this out

Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:59 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

As mildly awkward as that was, I enjoyed that more than anything else I've seen from him recently. But he's really bad at interviews. I've had one or two interviews that could stand toe-to-toe with the one you just posted and I'm definitely embarrassed by them. I wonder if Rollins feels embarrassment when he looks at stuff like this. Or...better yet, I wonder if Rollins never feels embarrassment when he looks at stuff like this.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next