Search
Register
Review of the Melbourne Festival (2010)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Review of the Melbourne Festival (2010)  Reply with quote  

Funniest part of this review is how stuck the reviewer seems to be on the truth about my age. He doesn't say how old he thinks I am but he insists I'm not as old as I say I am on "I Was Zero." To be fair, that is true...as I wrote and recorded that song 2 years ago. Also, Lants gets some shine in this interview. Made me laugh quite a bit. It's a shame the reviewer didn't dig Dexter's set. I found it to be really enjoyable.

http://www.rhum.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1389:gig-review-sage-francis-forum-theatre-melbourne-international-arts-festival-october-15-2010&catid=38:gr&Itemid=110

Sage Francis is not 32 years old. Not even a little. However try suggesting that to him post show in the lobby and you may be threatened by a psychotically obsessive, overly protective, (though admittedly quite attractive) groupie chick.

Despite what his tour-press interviews say, the big bald-headed American rapper doesn’t look 32. Also I refuse to believe that hip-hop as lyrically rich, refined, and perfected as the stuff of his new album LI(F)E could have possibly been made by someone as, well, young as I am. Long-time fans know Sage’s been evolving his craft for a long time now and has nothing left to prove.
With Sage you get one guy on stage holding the crowd solo, with an excellent cross section of older and newer songs. The tracks this night were stripped back from their album arrangements to get more out of the words. Although his publicity promised none of the traditional call-and-response stuff, it’s well nigh impossible to get through a Sage song with Sage there and not want to chant along with... Sage.

Initially terrifying us by coming out wearing a mop-top wig that evoked a late 70s Elvis, the reveal of that bald head was the show’s most theatrical moment. From there Sage harnessed his music’s best qualities, not merely getting away with a non-flashy performance but revelling in it. He did it without visuals gags or a cast of guest MCs – stopping and manually restarting the pre-recorded backing tracks at his own whim. Although a few folks grumbled about ‘how lame’ that was, I appreciated the simplicity and honesty of it. He left himself and the songs nowhere to hide.

As for the support acts: Horrorshow did solid if unremarkably stock-standard work warming up, but Dexter’s mediocre post-Sage, pay cheque contribution was simply not worth wasting my word count on – DMX champion or not.

Escaping Dexter’s also-ran party playlist mix, we found Sage in the lobby talking with folks. After mumbling something complimentary and getting photos with him, I decided to press him on this 32 year-old nonsense, and was threatened with violence by the above mentioned insane groupie for my trouble. I left the point alone.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:04 am
anomaly
Loserface

You bess stop telling people you're 32.

This was a strange read; i'm really not even sure what that was.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:19 am
Prontoid

Re: Review of the Melbourne Festival (2010)  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
...you may be threatened by a psychotically obsessive, overly protective, (though admittedly quite attractive) groupie chick....was threatened with violence by the above mentioned insane groupie for my trouble. I left the point alone.

bwaaahahahaaa
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:51 pm
Lants

haha, jebus. sorry for being a little over-protective of you sage :)

i was kind of a little drunk. prontoid & antics can confirm that! and we were sitting with safran, who is a legend of funniness, which kind of made me lose track of how 'happy' i was getting.

it's comforting knowing that, as long as people find me physically attractive, i can hurl psychotic threats at them as often as i like.
Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:03 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

With power comes responsibility!
Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:27 pm
antics

hahaha, what a description lants.

that's a classic.
Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:26 pm
neveragainlikesheep

Hahahahaha. Lants, you rule.
Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:37 am
Lants

i'm always the nutjob. i likes the lols.
Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:27 am

Jump to: