Search
Register
FINAL ROUND - 2MEX REMIX CONTEST -notes by Sage & Ceschi
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

FINAL ROUND - 2MEX REMIX CONTEST -notes by Sage & Ceschi  Reply with quote  

Here are the 19 finalists for the 2Mex "Dead Deer Diary" remix contest. A few of the entries are brand new so please give them a listen and then share your thoughts on who you think the winner should be.

Since not everyone has access to this forum, please place your official vote at www.Facebook.com/StrangeFamousRecords

Despite how many remix contests we hold at SFR I always forget how much time and energy it takes to navigate through the submissions. This particular contest had over 60 submissions spanning the globe (America, Canada, UK, Japan, France and Germany.) The quality of these remix submissions was truly impressive. I personally spent at least 10 hours listening to each one of them at least twice while trying to decide which ones should make it into this final batch (and I still included more than I originally hoped for.)

If your remix did not make it into the final round but you'd still like for people to hear it then please upload your remix and submit it to the Soundcloud group we created here (THIS IS OPEN FOR ALL PRODUCERS WHO DID OR WILL DO A REMIX OF THIS SONG): http://soundcloud.com/groups/2mex-dead-deer-diary-remixes

The final decision will be made by 2Mex, Ceschi and me...but that doesn't mean we won't give an official tip of the hat to the popular vote.

PLACE YOUR FINAL VOTE AT www.facebook.com/StrangeFamousRecords

Last edited by Sage Francis on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:55 am; edited 5 times in total
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:53 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Here are my breakdowns of each remix that made it into the final round:

ABUTONE - This remix has soulful samples and cool music stabs but I think it may suffer from being too repetitive. That may be an unfair assessment from me but after hearing the same song so many times, repetition in the music is tough to stomach for me. That being said, I do think that the drum pattern should have changed much more often to accommodate the vocal delivery if nothing else.

AUPHEUS - Much like the Big Quarters remix, I feel like the subtleties of this remix can only be fully appreciated via headphones. Everyone probably feels that way about their music, but Aupheus' music always tends to have a dark vibe with tones that don't sound as rich or pop out on laptop speakers. There are a lot of things going on in the music, various elements that pop in and out, but nothing that shouts "look at me!" in a corny way.

BARBARIC MERITS - Terrific vocal manipulations. It's clear that this music and beat were built around the vocal track which definitely pushes it to the top of the pack. Very professional.

BIG QUARTERS - At first I was like, "Oh shit, we got a remix from Big Quarters. Nice!" And then when I started listening I was like, "Oh shit…I'm not sure this will make the cut." But then the subtleties of the mix made themselves more and more present. I'm not sure the best qualities of this remix will be detected on computer speakers so I recommend headphones for this one. The synth is sinister and it creeps in slowly. The pace of the synth rhythm switches from frantic to stabbing from the middle of the song till the end. 2Mex's delivery is deadpan through most of this song so it's very risky to have stripped down production for any extended period of the track, but I think Big Quarters pulled it off.

BOODAH'S FINGER - This is as close to "house music" as I can personally stand while still being able to enjoy the song. I'm not sure if this could be classified as "house" but it reminds me of house. I really like the change-ups and I especially like the melody of the keyboard line.

BUDDY PEACE - There are cool rhythm changes and lots of change-ups throughout. As always, with Buddy Peace's work, there are interesting scratch segments and an array of relevant vocal samples mixed within.

COOL POINDEXTER - This remix fills up and empties out in all the right places. It's almost *too* exact in the way that it does this, but it certainly helps move the song along.

DYNAMO414 - This remix starts off sounding like this will be a cheesy piano beat. Then it fades down before a fully fleshed-out beat kicks in, only to be revisited by the piano line later on. I love the false start and the energy of this track but it hits full stride early on and doesn't really display much variety after all its cards are shown. I'm not sure if the music is interesting enough to carry the full track without any change-ups but I do think it brings a good punch.

FLAWED LOGIC - Starts off with beautiful music and just when you think that this is all the remix has to offer some percussive elements kick into place. From that point the builds happen at a faster pace, but that point it might be too late. Personally I enjoy the anticipation of waiting for everything to kick into full year. I respect the moxie of only having drums present for 34 seconds during the whole track.

ION MYKE - This remix depends heavily its 8-bit, nintendo theme-ish style of music that stays consistent throughout the song. Simple as it is I really like it. I never tire of this sound.

JAMES HANCOCK - I really like the movement and sound of the drums matched against 2Mex's vocals. The music moves around in all different ways but it doesn't sound like it's upstaging anything. The parts that repeat are catchy and fun.

LEIF(kolt) - This is certainly the "hardest" remix out of all the ones we received. It has a halftime beat that slams hard. At points it feels like it's too stuffy with the distortion on the vocals on top of other distorted sounds (maybe too busy overall) but that's also what gives this remix its testicles. I especially enjoy how LEIF(kolt) creates new choruses by manipulating vocals from the songs he remixes.

MAGOWL - This remix reminds me of Eminem production which is not a knock on the beat at all. It's clear that a lot of attention was paid to the music and vocal track which is nice to hear. I'm not so sure that the beat pattern works well with 2Mex's vocal pattern but this remix has a unique feel and the overall execution of this remix is solid.

OCWARD STORMS - This remix gets props for being one of the most original we received. Although the beat itself is nothing to write home about, Ocward Storms gives Dead Deer Diary a dose of metal and it's the only remix to do so. Not only that, but they went the extra mile to incorporating a chorus (which I wish more people tried their hand at.)

RezuLt - I'm a sucker for chord changes and this remix has a bunch of them. Every couple of bars the chords change in this remix in a very classic and appealing way. This works incredibly well with the way 2Mex raps on this song. Production-wise, there's nothing groundbreaking, but the parlor-trick of constant chord changes hits all the right mood buttons.

SKOBIE WON - There's a frantic nature to the grimy synth line which I think works really well with the nature of 2Mex's content and delivery. The vocals are tad bit too loud in the mix, but that might be good considering how busy the music is underneath them.

TAID - This is low-fi and grimy in all aspects. Interesting builds occur as melodic keys accompany the pulsating baseline. Great music.

TIME CRISIS - This remix relies heavily on the ambient guitar work but there are frequent rhythm changes in the drum track which helps a lot. There are no major detours here. The track moves along in a linear way but it doesn't get boring to me. Very succinct overall.

VINH-TAGE - The low-end and high-end melodies work so well together. Beyond that, this remix is highly energetic and catchy. Also, 3/4 into the song the drums are accompanied by a cymbal ride which is something I don't typically pay attention to but the way it works in this remix gives it that little extra push. I like that. I pay attention to how songs end and this one ends a bit too suddenly for me.

Last edited by Sage Francis on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:56 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Here are Ceschi's breakdown of each remix in the final round:

ABUTONE -
Although I appreciate Abutone's attempt at making a soulful and fun beat here…it really doesn't compliment 2Mex's vocal style on the track and fails with its horn spikes…

AUPHEUS -
This has an almost industrial quality which i like….feels a bit too dark for the lyrics though…although 2Mex says the word "dead" I don't think death is the focus…

BARBARIC MERITS -
this has a classic club vibe to it…it's one of the few beats in the competition that I can see really tearing up a live DJ set….very well done…

BIG QUARTERS -
although I love the live sounding drum and horn samples…I feel like this beat doesn't move enough for me…it builds tension but never gives us climax

BOODAH'S FINGER -
the synths on this one sound a bit too "Q-Zar Lazer Tag" or "mortal kombat the movie" for me…maybe the most rave friendly here…and the vocal effects flat out annoy me

BUDDY PEACE -
Buddy Peace has a very unique remix style…this is on some punk/psych shit which I dig…but I feel like he should have focused more on building some sort of structure here…it's a fun listen with super relevant samples/scratches and great rhythm movement but lacks any melody tying it together

COOL POINDEXTER -
I'm a sucker for 80s synth pop and this may be the only beat in the competition that refers to the original beat….moments of this have a very "NEW ORDER" feel to it which I can dig….although I like it - I wish he did more here - another section would have been nice

DYNAMO414 -
very unique piano sample intro and cracking drums…this is dope…well done…i like the nintendo-esque outro….one of my favorites i'd say

FLAWED LOGIC -
this is a pretty cool intro/sample….but it just goes on for WAY too long without major changes…I'm too ADD for this beat…when the drum machine hi hats and kicks slowly come in I'm ready to turn the track off….just seems a bit lazy all around

ION MYKE -
this is an irresistible melody. Nintendo Core. Definitely love this Zelda vibe and the drums bang - it never gets old for me. One of my favorites here.

JAMES HANCOCK -
I can really appreciate the consistent movement of the track - it makes me want to keep listening but some of these synth and drum sounds are down right corny but not corny enough to be cool…

LEIF -
this beat is BEASTLY, it's like Lil' Jon got more technically intense….
can't say anything bad about it…it's the hardest beat on here and one of my favorites

magOWL -
This is a good one…I like how the drums are chopped in a kind of crazy loose style….but sometimes it feels too rhythmically loose and melodically incorrect…i generally like this vibe though

OCWARD STORMS -
At first I thought I was listening to the soundtrack to the Italian horror movie "Suspiria" - this one is hella dark and metal. I think it's an original remix though and can definitely appreciate that. It feels a little bit loose on the "2nd verse"….and I think the pianos sound too much like Linkin Park and the guitars sound too straight - like they were recorded directly into a computer from a pedal…it needs a bit more atmosphere….overall a really creative take on the song though!

REZULT -
Another very melodic and musical approach to remixes…nothing crazy….just clean and catchy…with a bit of an epic thing going on….it compliments the vocals very well….in my top 5 I'd say

SKOBIE WON -
I like the glitchy style here…it hits pretty hard….but it doesn't keep me interested musically…just the same synth loop over and over…and it's not my favorite synth sound to begin with…

TAID -
My initial reaction to this was positive….kind of reminds me of DJ Nobody's current production style…with touches of wonky dubstep influence...it's nice music but it also seems a bit like Taid made this without paying much attention to 2Mex's vocals…

TIME CRISIS -
This one just sounds epic to me. Maybe it's because I'm a guitarist and instrumental indie rock fan as well or maybe because it's the most melodically developed track in this contest and mimics the movement of the original really well - but this is my favorite.

VINH-TAGE -
Classic Synth Pop sound…I like this one…it's pretty perfect and catchy…that doesn't make it the "best" for me though…very nice still
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:57 am
skobie won

Thanks for the input guys, great contest lots of fun!!
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:04 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
leifkolt

Sage Francis wrote:

this beat is BEASTLY, it's like Lil' Jon got more technically intense….

LOL! I hope he knows I'm going to quote his ass on that one. I heard referencing Lil' John is the only way to get a Pitchfork review.
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:50 am
brzo

Time Crisis kills regularly.

I'm overloaded listening through these, and feel I have the lyrics memorized by now. I'm certain youze guys relate.
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:33 am
dynamo_414

Thank for the feedback guys. And thanks for the kind words
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:59 am
magOwl

Cheers for the feedback and good luck to all participants!
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:21 am
RoNn1e

LEIF still gets my vote. His remix is nastyyyy. He's gonna win this contest. He makes this track something you wanna listen to constantly...
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:31 am
Muznick

MAD  Reply with quote  

Can I say.. I'm a little mad ?? I don't wanna sound too mad here but I worked really hard on my remix wich I sent friday night (from canada) and it never showed anywhere, so I couldn't get any vote. I had friends who were waiting to hear it.

I'd like to know if you at least got it ?? And why did it never show anywhere ? My remix wasn't standard.. it was very orchestral.. was that a bad thing ? please.. I'm just confused and angry for working so hard on something that.. pretty much seems to have never existed.

Sorry if my english is weird, I'm french.
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:35 am
RoNn1e

Re: MAD  Reply with quote  

Muznick

Well, post it now. I'm sure if it's fire, you can get on here for votes..
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:48 am
Captiv8

Re: MAD  Reply with quote  

Muznick wrote:
Can I say.. I'm a little mad ?? I don't wanna sound too mad here but I worked really hard on my remix wich I sent friday night (from canada) and it never showed anywhere, so I couldn't get any vote. I had friends who were waiting to hear it.

I'd like to know if you at least got it ?? And why did it never show anywhere ? My remix wasn't standard.. it was very orchestral.. was that a bad thing ? please.. I'm just confused and angry for working so hard on something that.. pretty much seems to have never existed.

Sorry if my english is weird, I'm french.

Put it up on Soundcloud, dude.
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:49 am
Muznick

Thanks !  Reply with quote  

All right, thanks guys.

It's up there, please give a listen :) I'll go put a link on facebook and ask em to vote on facebook's SFR page !
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:06 am
Captiv8

Re: Thanks !  Reply with quote  

Muznick wrote:
All right, thanks guys.

It's up there, please give a listen :) I'll go put a link on facebook and ask em to vote on facebook's SFR page !

Orchestral indeed. Was part of the instrumentation live? I like the overall sound, but you overshadow the vocals. This would work well as a stand-alone track, but I'm not sure how well it fits the mood of the original song.
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:24 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i have 2 favorites

Flawed Logic

Ion Mike
Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:31 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next