Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Lest we forget ...war is a racket
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Author Message
outpatient



Joined: 07 Jul 2005
Posts: 475
Location: haggis and scotch eggs
 Reply with quote  

quotation marks look so ugly when they're used as scare quotes. apostrophes are much classier. I've always wondered whether that's an official rule or just a matter of taste
Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Z-0



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Posts: 700
Location: Sydney
 Reply with quote  

firefly wrote:
So what's your point then?


pretty much what flossin said.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:18 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
mortalthoughts
LAME KID


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 11616
Location: MI
 Reply with quote  

firefly wrote:
I'm sorry if it made you feel that way. I really wasn't trying to offend people.

I read your thread about your Grandpa. I'm really sorry to hear about that. I lost my Grandpa to the same disease and now my Grandma has it too.

Truce?


were all good man, its just that this topic is kind of personal to me ive had 4 of my 6 uncles that were drafted into Vietnam and more then a handful of friends that are/have been in the service.

I do agree with the article but i feel that its in poor taste to post it on the day that was set aside in remembrance of people who felt the need to stand up for our country, whether the war itself is right or wrong is irrelevant. imo
Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:27 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Raoul DeGroot



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 2437
Location: Son Quest
 Reply with quote  

Well why isn't there a day for suicide bombers?

I realize that's inflammatory to say. But explain how the logic is somehow different? ..If right and wrong is irrelevant.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:51 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  

More to the point I think, why would it be in poor taste to post an article you think is cogent and correct one day than, say, another day? Seems like the article would be equally tasty no matter what day you read it on.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:34 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
firefly



Joined: 27 Sep 2002
Posts: 3990
Location: Montreal
 Reply with quote  

breakreep wrote:
More to the point I think, why would it be in poor taste to post an article you think is cogent and correct one day than, say, another day? Seems like the article would be equally tasty no matter what day you read it on.


It's all about imaginary days and imaginary lines which are sometimes more real to people then facts and real things.

It's funny how the same government that created this day are the same ones that tricked the vets and who are now not adequately taking care of them.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:40 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mortalthoughts
LAME KID


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 11616
Location: MI
 Reply with quote  

breakreep wrote:
More to the point I think, why would it be in poor taste to post an article you think is cogent and correct one day than, say, another day? Seems like the article would be equally tasty no matter what day you read it on.



its a good article i agree with it
ok. now that thats out of the way.


how about a little human decency? just because we dont agree with them supporting the machine or whatever doesnt mean they need to be shit on

how is not bringing anything new to the table a cop out?
people get called out for it here on this forum all the time

maybe if people respected people on a more were all human lets be real about the way we are and why and a lot more stuff would accomplished on all levels

one day out of the year suck it up wether you agree with it or not just be a little bit more of a decent human and bite your tounge man
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:52 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Charlie Foxtrot



Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Posts: 1379
Location: Rochester, NY
 Reply with quote  

Holidays are open to interpretation.


Christmas can be about:

A) The birth of Jesus Christ
B) Commercialism
C) Charity and goodwill towards others


Veteran's Day can be about:

A) Honor, pride, glory and other mythical concepts that are in no way reflected in actual war
B) Jingoism, which is often related to/based in A)
C) Reflecting on the sacrifices of Veterans who have fought Just Wars (what wars, if any, have been just is open to debate)
D) Reflecting on the tragedy inherent in all wars, the pointless suffering, the fact that wars should never happen at all
E) Reflecting on our relationships with veterans we know/have known


The Veteran's Day some people are criticizing is not necessarily my Veteran's Day.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:37 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
PoetryBox



Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 452
Location: brampton, ON
 Reply with quote  

Garfield has something to say about this topic...

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
crash



Joined: 07 Aug 2003
Posts: 5456
Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption
 Reply with quote  

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
Holidays are open to interpretation.


Christmas can be about:

A) The birth of Jesus Christ
B) Commercialism
C) Charity and goodwill towards others


Veteran's Day can be about:

A) Honor, pride, glory and other mythical concepts that are in no way reflected in actual war
B) Jingoism, which is often related to/based in A)
C) Reflecting on the sacrifices of Veterans who have fought Just Wars (what wars, if any, have been just is open to debate)
D) Reflecting on the tragedy inherent in all wars, the pointless suffering, the fact that wars should never happen at all
E) Reflecting on our relationships with veterans we know/have known


The Veteran's Day some people are criticizing is not necessarily my Veteran's Day.

well said.

firefly, i wouldn't say i'm offended by you posting this article (it is a great speech after all) - but i'm left wondering why you felt compelled to chose veterans' day. do you think it'd have an impact that it wouldn't have on another day?

i don't think you're accomplishing anything other than preaching to the choir and rubbing everyone else the wrong way. it's in poor taste.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:38 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mortalthoughts
LAME KID


Joined: 12 Dec 2002
Posts: 11616
Location: MI
 Reply with quote  

Isn't that what I've been saying all along?
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Raoul DeGroot



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 2437
Location: Son Quest
 Reply with quote  

Why isnt this just like the killjoys who post antiimperialism stuff on thanksgiving?
I think that's an appropriate counterbalancey thing to do, even though I like Thanksgiving and my particular interpretation of it.
Yknow, I recognize that it's not crazy to bing that issue up on that day. Regardless of how remedial you dudes seem to think it is- there's clearly a wide gap in how exactly we all consider and justify these days.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:58 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Raoul DeGroot



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 2437
Location: Son Quest
 Reply with quote  

Moderate lefties are always so worried about preaching to the choir. So self conscious, tsk.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:01 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Dr Sagacious



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 1843
Location: Redford
 Reply with quote  

firefly wrote:

It's all about imaginary days and imaginary lines which are sometimes more real to people then facts and real things.



You don't celebrate anything? You haven't a tradition? Your life sounds like a bowl of mixed negative nuts.

"But, I see the lies that they give us!"

Still fucking boring, homie.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:02 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
crash



Joined: 07 Aug 2003
Posts: 5456
Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption
 Reply with quote  

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
Why isnt this just like the killjoys who post antiimperialism stuff on thanksgiving?
I think that's an appropriate counterbalancey thing to do, even though I like Thanksgiving and my particular interpretation of it.
Yknow, I recognize that it's not crazy to bing that issue up on that day. Regardless of how remedial you dudes seem to think it is- there's clearly a wide gap in how exactly we all consider and justify these days.

thanksgiving and columbus day aren't particularly emotional holidays. i don't think the kill joys are offending anyone as much as annoying.

what firefly is doing is more comparable to, say, posting up an article about the armenian genocide on turkish independence day.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:03 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon