Lest we forget ...war is a racket
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Raoul DeGroot

IAmNiki wrote:
Raoul DeGroot wrote:
IAmNiki wrote:
Raoul DeGroot wrote:
Niki, are you old enough to have realized how long it takes and how hard it is to change the way you feel about things?

Yes.

But since that post made me chuckle, I digress.

I'm not super committed to this topic. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, and see how deep your opinion goes.

Please handle the TRUTH responsibly while/if you have it.

I'm not really sure what you are talking about when it comes to changing ideas and how you feel about things, but I was simply pointing out that you are making a huge generalization about a group of people. That's all.

Thanks for recognizing my impeccable truthyness.

I don't think I'm making such a huge generalization. It's a generalization sure, but what's so huge about it? Set me straight.

40,000 recently wounded in combat, with 300,000 (in 2007, it's what came up from a quick search) fighting PTSD. Not to mention it's not just a day for soldiers in modern war. It's supposed to honor ALL veterans that have fought in ALL American wars.

For the most part, I agree with you. I think a lot of people are tricked, bribed, or misled into the military, but I'm not willing to assume that it's most of them, or even the majority of them. It's a big assumption to make, especially when you go around calling them ignorant or dumb. What about all of the vets from Vietnam that were drafted? Are they dumb for getting killed/hurt for bullshit reasons?

Your post was just something that jumped out at me, and I felt I needed to respond to it. I definitely don't want to set you straight. I like you being a little crooked and wiggly. Like elbow macaroni.

I usually can't withstand your softening techniques. And my will to argue this further, even for recreation, is fading.

Draftees are huge exceptions to the rule. And I guess I should clarify that I think life kind of ends up drafting people into all types of things as well. And not because they're dummies or baddies either. (though some are).

I guess I just think honest to goodness objective cases for war are very very rare (though they must exist I guess).

I like generalizations a whole bunch. Until they get in the way and get up in yo face. I work on coarse grain a lot of the time.

High fives to you and your general right-on-ness. As you are generally right-on.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:47 pm
IAmNiki

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
IAmNiki wrote:
Raoul DeGroot wrote:
IAmNiki wrote:
Raoul DeGroot wrote:
Niki, are you old enough to have realized how long it takes and how hard it is to change the way you feel about things?

Yes.

But since that post made me chuckle, I digress.

I'm not super committed to this topic. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, and see how deep your opinion goes.

Please handle the TRUTH responsibly while/if you have it.

I'm not really sure what you are talking about when it comes to changing ideas and how you feel about things, but I was simply pointing out that you are making a huge generalization about a group of people. That's all.

Thanks for recognizing my impeccable truthyness.

I don't think I'm making such a huge generalization. It's a generalization sure, but what's so huge about it? Set me straight.

40,000 recently wounded in combat, with 300,000 (in 2007, it's what came up from a quick search) fighting PTSD. Not to mention it's not just a day for soldiers in modern war. It's supposed to honor ALL veterans that have fought in ALL American wars.

For the most part, I agree with you. I think a lot of people are tricked, bribed, or misled into the military, but I'm not willing to assume that it's most of them, or even the majority of them. It's a big assumption to make, especially when you go around calling them ignorant or dumb. What about all of the vets from Vietnam that were drafted? Are they dumb for getting killed/hurt for bullshit reasons?

Your post was just something that jumped out at me, and I felt I needed to respond to it. I definitely don't want to set you straight. I like you being a little crooked and wiggly. Like elbow macaroni.

I usually can't withstand your softening techniques. And my will to argue this further, even for recreation, is fading.

Draftees are huge exceptions to the rule. And I guess I should clarify that I think life kind of ends up drafting people into all types of things as well. And not because they're dummies or baddies either. (though some are).

I guess I just think honest to goodness objective cases for war are very very rare (though they must exist I guess).

I like generalizations a whole bunch. Until they get in the way and get up in yo face. I work on coarse grain a lot of the time.

High fives to you and your general right-on-ness. As you are generally right-on.

Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Raoul DeGroot

See Arrrgh wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
Well, not everyone feels like getting in a fight.

Having convictions, seemingly made on generalizations, and not having the fortitude to face the people you've generalized seems very, very cheap to me.

And I think that's what she (IAmNiki) was getting at. I could be wrong though.

If we didn't use some generalizations every now and then, ordering a combo meal would take 45 minutes.
Using language with someone is like using a microscope. You start with the low power mag and zoom in as needed.

It's not lack of fortitude, duders. It's respect for the idea that most people don't make decisions that can be wiped out with a killer rebuttal. They are actual adults who have their reasons for doing things. And in the context of their lives, those things are reasonable. Even necessary.

Edit: And I like fighting and IRL pwning people too... It's a huge bummer to not just ride in like a hurricane of dickpiece and righteousness.

Last edited by Raoul DeGroot on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:55 pm
MCGF

Plum Puddin' wrote:
Who you calling Macaroni, Fagottini?

If you was locked up in the Penne you'd get your Spiralini Rigatoni'd.

You Gnocching on the wrong door with that Farfalloni.

Fusilli lil bwoy.

your scull is thick like fettuccine

hollow like bucatini

suck my meatballz jolie ravioli your dick is teenie!
Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:56 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

See Arrrgh wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:

Having convictions, seemingly made on generalizations, and not having the fortitude to face the people you've generalized seems very, very cheap to me.

I think the whole "Oh YEAH? I'd like to see you say that to their FACE" arguments is one of cheapest things around. That and breakfast at a Woonsocket diner. Both very cheap.

As for me, I have no problem saying anything to anyone's face. I often do. But, as I was saying, not everyone feels like getting in a fight. Unfortunately, I do.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:59 pm
See Arrrgh

Sage Francis wrote:
See Arrrgh wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:

I think the whole "Oh YEAH? I'd like to see you say that to their FACE" arguments is one of cheapest things around. That and breakfast at a Woonsocket diner. Both very cheap.

As for me, I have no problem saying anything to anyone's face. I often do. But, as I was saying, not everyone feels like getting in a fight. Unfortunately, I do.

I guess it all depends on perspective. What do most people think of two-faced individuals who say and do things behind someone's back and then smile pretty when they're face-to-face? To me, if someone has real convictions about the generalizations they're making about a group of people, then they should be willing to drop these gems on the group and listen to what the group in question would have to say about those generalizations. I feel the same way about people who talk badly about minorities, women, or the lower classes but act all friendly and nice when they're actually around these people. I think making generalizations and not being willing to face those you've generalized is far cheaper than your simplified understanding of what I was getting at.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:16 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

See Arrrgh wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
See Arrrgh wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:

I guess it all depends on perspective. What do most people think of two-faced individuals who say and do things behind someone's back and then smile pretty when they're face-to-face?

Sometimes that's just being civil and/or cordial.

Heck, just the other night I saw someone that I would really love to knock the fuck out. He's someone who has screwed me over in numerous ways. But instead of confronting him and acting on any kind of desirable impulse, I smiled pretty and kept it moving. Sometimes it's just the smart thing to do.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:23 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Seeargh, You's a real Holden Caulfield motherfucker. I bet you have terrible breath.

One day you'll learn the difference between two facedness and respect for someone's ability to reasonably come to a different (wrong) perspective than you. You don't have to respect the decision per se. At least I don't. But you respect the process. You have to.

But you wanna charge in there like a real screw the poochy type guy. With the sharp light of truth and reason fucking up all types of shit in your wake. You invite yourself to the party all hammy-like.

I slap your measly gruff shit around with the lower half of my elbow macaroni, little boi. That's my bum bum.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:32 pm
Z-0

Sage Francis wrote:
Z-0 wrote:
to add my thoroughly unintelligent mind to this thread, i'm reminded of a line from a tacky movie - "If I asked you about war, you’d probably throw Shakespeare at me, right? “Once more into the breach, dear friends.” But you’ve never been near one."

How dare you call that movie tacky.

Eh. It's not your fault, man. It's not your fault. No...I know you know but listen to me...it's not your fault.

Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:43 pm
Plum Puddin'

MCGF wrote:
Plum Puddin' wrote:
Who you calling Macaroni, Fagottini?

If you was locked up in the Penne you'd get your Spiralini Rigatoni'd.

You Gnocching on the wrong door with that Farfalloni.

Fusilli lil bwoy.

your scull is thick like fettuccine

hollow like bucatini

suck my meatballz jolie ravioli your dick is teenie!

Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:46 pm
See Arrrgh

Sage Francis wrote:
See Arrrgh wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
See Arrrgh wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:

I guess it all depends on perspective. What do most people think of two-faced individuals who say and do things behind someone's back and then smile pretty when they're face-to-face?

Sometimes that's just being civil and/or cordial.

Heck, just the other night I saw someone that I would really love to knock the fuck out. He's someone who has screwed me over in numerous ways. But instead of confronting him and acting on any kind of desirable impulse, I smiled pretty and kept it moving. Sometimes it's just the smart thing to do.

It's all about perspective. There are probably some unknowns involved in your analogy, so I can't really comment. However, if someone I knew and thought I was friends with really wanted to deck me, I'd rather know--and be told by said person--than to think we're friends while this person runs their mouth behind my back. I agree with this:

"I have no problem saying anything to anyone's face. I often do. But, as I was saying, not everyone feels like getting in a fight. Unfortunately, I do."

Not that I walk around with a desire to get into fights, verbal or otherwise. I just prefer honesty over half-hearted convictions, especially those based on generalizations I'm too afraid to tell to the people I've generalized. If I'm afraid of/worried about/concerned with the backlash of such generalizations, perhaps I shouldn't be making them in the first place. That's my opinion.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:55 pm
Raoul DeGroot

My truth isn't anything I can spew out uninvited over a five minute conversation to a stranger who's lived an entirely different life than mine and expect it to mean anything in particular to them. Is yours?

Are you looking at communication as planting a seed or just playing hot potato?

You have some strong dicklinger signs, my buddy.

...Whew, glad I got that off my hands. Honesty accomplished. All is right with the world.

Last edited by Raoul DeGroot on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:07 am
See Arrrgh

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
My truth isn't anything I can spew out uninvited over a five minute conversation to a stranger who's lived an entirely different life than mine and expect it to mean anything in particular to them. Is yours?

No, which is exactly why I don't make generalizations about people I know very, very little about.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:11 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Every person has opinions that contradict a lot of other people's opinions. Just because they don't "say it to their face" doesn't mean their opinion is wrong.

I don't blame anyone for being reluctant to get in the face of a trained killer just to express their opinion or prove their conviction.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:12 am
Raoul DeGroot

mmm nah. It doesn't matter though. They're still making decisions about things that we have similar information about (war/military).

I don't deny that they have their own mental fingerprint that causes them to interpret information differently. But that doesn't stop me from knowing that there are some decisions that are plain wrong. There are some things that humans do to eachother and participate in that are flatly incorrect and fucked up.

Now do I scream to the rafters they're fucked up and watch nothing happen? Or worse a hardening of a stance?
Or do I swallow my pride and wait til I've actually got a chance of making an impact on someone.

I don't pretend to know what leads people to certain decisions in every case(But I have strong guesses). And I presume good intentions most of the time (isn't assuming the best a positive and constructive use of generalization? Isn't everything we do as humans actually a form of generalization?)

You're fucked up. I generalize you to be fucked up in the mente.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:24 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next