Search
Register
If you don't accept Christian values, get out of Germany
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Raoul DeGroot

Europe is less racist only in that they have less race to be ist about!
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:33 am
WrathChild

outpatient wrote:
sarah palin was a hair away from being your VICE FUCKING PRESIDENT, guys. I know this is a logical fallacy but... seriously.

By "hair" do you mean the LANDSLIDE election she lost? Seriously, it wasn't even close. I think it would be an even bigger defeat if people knew then what they know now about her.

Also, regarding the racist California comment... California is one of the most intolerant states I've ever been in. Born and raised there. San Francisco and parts of LA may be tolerant but go any where else in the state and spark up a conversation about immigrants, or specifically Mexicans, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Hell, my friends grandmother immigrated from Mexico and he makes disparaging remarks about 1st generation immigrants and migrant workers all the time. The "liberal tolerant" California is mostly a myth.

Last edited by WrathChild on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:45 am
ROTTY

Have i gone forward to a time where Europe is one country???
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:48 am
The Count

ROTTY wrote:

You don't actually expect us to keep track of all of those itty-bitty countries, do you?
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:38 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

The Count wrote:
mzehe916 wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
Racism is a tad bit more tolerated in Europe. By a "tad" I mean a lot.

Compared to the U.S.? I don't see it. And I'm not even trying to defend Europe in any way...as it may appear in this thread. I just don't see it. I've seen much more blatant racism in the U.S. than I have in Europe. And I come from California, which would seem to be a rather tolerant state.

I would have to disagree with this. I am from North Carolina and have spent a year living in both austria and germany. In my experience it was definitely much more acceptable to make blatently racist comments in polite company over there. and I'm from the south.

This isn't to say that europeans/americans are more/less racist, simply that overt racism is less taboo in europe.

this is the crux of it.

in the US we've had a dark history with slavery and jim crow, etc. and we tried to make up for that with anti-racist propaganda in our schools and media. explicit racism is very rarely tolerated (unless it's against muslims, arabs, or latinos).

i think europe on the other hand doesn't have the same history and resulting doctrine multiculturalism, so it's easier to have explicitly racist political parties, bans on minarets and abayas, and basketball teams posing with chinky eyes.

i haven't spent much time there so i couldn't say if deep down who's more racist.
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:58 am
Flossin

ROTTY wrote:

Exactly.
People try talking about a continent with a crapload of totally different countries (and a HUGE number of cultural differences between them) as if it's one nation and comparing it to the US..
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:13 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

Flossin wrote:
ROTTY wrote:

Exactly.
People try talking about a continent with a crapload of totally different countries (and a HUGE number of cultural differences between them) as if it's one nation and comparing it to the US..

well what do you want us to do? we have to generalize somewhere, otherwise we'd need to maintain a list of countries this discussion applies to.
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:17 am
Flossin

crash wrote:
Flossin wrote:
ROTTY wrote:

Exactly.

well what do you want us to do? we have to generalize somewhere, otherwise we'd need to maintain a list of countries this discussion applies to.

I'd say either focus somewhere (thread was originally about Germany, after all..) or prepare for a real messy discussion cause Europe is way too varied in culture, history, politics etc for this to really lead anywhere other than what's been posted here already.

I kinda agree with this line from The Count though:

Quote:

This isn't to say that europeans/americans are more/less racist, simply that overt racism is less taboo in europe.
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:22 am
ROTTY

crash wrote:
Flossin wrote:
ROTTY wrote:

Exactly.

Which is the more racist Hemisphere?

but seriously...I find this whole topic a futile one. Not the original thread title, but this lets compare racism...shit seems far to black and white and it is making some real intelligent people sound dumb.

Racism will always be in the world. It is in human nature. We should be grateful that intelligence is starting to conquer our nature.....shame it is happening this late in the game.
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:51 am
The Count

So a question for the germans on here. What are the realistic consequences that could come out of Merkel's line of thinking? Are we talking about tightening current immigration controls by making possible immigrants pass language/culture tests? Adding nationalistic curriculum to public schools or mandating that all classes be taught in german?

What type of political will is there behind this or do you think it's most rhetoric that won't bear any fruit?
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:04 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I encounter skinhead neo-nazi types quite frequently in the europa.
I've seen these guys (and I've even recorded one of them) dropping the N bomb quite comfortably in the general public. This is a great rarity in the states.

Last edited by Sage Francis on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 am
outpatient

I see what some of you are getting at, but I'd say xenophobia is a better word to generalise with than racism. europe is more a messy cobweb of nationalism and distrust of immigration than "we dislike people of x/y colour".
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:29 am
Flossin

outpatient wrote:
I see what some of you are getting at, but I'd say xenophobia is a better word to generalise with than racism. europe is more a messy cobweb of nationalism and distrust of immigration than "we dislike people of x/y colour".

That's true.

And the skinheads (at least over here) are more based on nationalism/xenophobia (and homophobia, of course) than racism. Not that that's a good thing.
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:14 pm
mancabbage

firefly wrote:
Y The stage is set to usher in a new Fascist government. All the pieces are in place. Very scary.

this is what i was talking about. its just silly. Not going to happen.

Its very acceptable to be outwardly racist in spain compared to here, they have a real problem in sport still which is pretty much unheard of here these days - especially london which is like a different country compared to certain places in england. But nazis getting into power? thats just being overly dramatic

As for referring to "europe" as a whole its a bit crazy, the cultural differences between countries and regions is way greater than compared to the states
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm
IAmNiki

I don't know how 'rare' it is for people in the states that AREN'T Nazis to drop the N bomb. My dad, his friends, and my mom's entire racist Italian side of the family all drop the N bomb and many other racist words and terms. My boyfriend, from the mid-west, knows plenty of people that are happy to spout racist slurs just because they know someone is within earshot that might be offended. It's hard for me to believe that it's sooooo much better here than Europe.
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next