Search
Register
You know what scares the shit out of me?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Disharmony

Eh, I guess it's partly your fault and partly the fans. I remember listening to some of your earlier love potion stuff on the internet and digging it. I downloaded(honesty ftw?) some of your songs and was feeling the music so I'd bump it off and on. At this point I didn't really know much about your back ground or what type of demographic you were aiming for.

Anyway, I remember one day you posting...or a thread was posted on here that involved some tour you were doing. Correct me, but I believe it was aimed towards drinking beer and smoking weed. I remember the "trailer" video that went along with it was mostly images of you seemingly wasted or talking about/smoking marijuana. Albeit this is fine and dandy and all, but it wasn't really my scene so initially it turned me off-thus erroneously projecting an image upon you. I could easily see this type of campaign attracting the biggest of the punch my wife's newborn in the jaw while kissing the tip of my de-fanged wolf's cock aka:work out partner- type of person.

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is anything from your lyrics/music/blog/videos could be seen initially and not necessarily in its full context thus it could attract people for different reasons. How long they remain fans is entirely up to them....pending they actually continue to research and discover what the artist is about.

I wouldn't worry too much about being a poster child of some fake movement in hip-hop because anyone that is worthwhile or even simply semi-intelligent will know that it is all bullshit.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:02 pm
xX gideon Xx

thank god, the forum is back.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:41 pm
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair

Disharmony wrote:
Eh, I guess it's partly your fault and partly the fans. I remember listening to some of your earlier love potion stuff on the internet and digging it. I downloaded(honesty ftw?) some of your songs and was feeling the music so I'd bump it off and on. At this point I didn't really know much about your back ground or what type of demographic you were aiming for.

Anyway, I remember one day you posting...or a thread was posted on here that involved some tour you were doing. Correct me, but I believe it was aimed towards drinking beer and smoking weed. I remember the "trailer" video that went along with it was mostly images of you seemingly wasted or talking about/smoking marijuana. Albeit this is fine and dandy and all, but it wasn't really my scene so initially it turned me off-thus erroneously projecting an image upon you. I could easily see this type of campaign attracting the biggest of the punch my wife's newborn in the jaw while kissing the tip of my de-fanged wolf's cock aka:work out partner- type of person.

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is anything from your lyrics/music/blog/videos could be seen initially and not necessarily in its full context thus it could attract people for different reasons. How long they remain fans is entirely up to them....pending they actually continue to research and discover what the artist is about.

I wouldn't worry too much about being a poster child of some fake movement in hip-hop because anyone that is worthwhile or even simply semi-intelligent will know that it is all bullshit.

word. you should check the next album i release. or the original 11:11 sessions. i think you will find them immensely enjoyable.

i could explain that 18 months or so of my life, that you seem to be speaking about, but blah. trying to forget about it.

and like i said, this thread isn't about my music. it's about this entire stable of 20-30 acts.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:51 pm
Disharmony

Oh, I'm totally checking out your new album. I dig a lot of your work that I've seen sprinkled around the forum/found on you tube over the past few years. I really like Speak low and your verse on Ashes to Ashley to name only a few. I also enjoyed the new single-irish funeral.

So yeah. Word.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:02 pm
FuseONE

Mac Lethal wrote:
I mean it's almost funny how much unabashed bigotry there is here. It is funny, actually. You can't take it seriously, or think it's something you can put a stop to. Your head/heart/organs would explode if you let every discriminatory comment you heard in this region of the country affect you based on your principles.

I felt this way when I was living in the middle of nowhere in Louisiana. It's especially noticeable if you are from the northeast and live down there for awhile.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:54 pm
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair

Disharmony wrote:
Oh, I'm totally checking out your new album. I dig a lot of your work that I've seen sprinkled around the forum/found on you tube over the past few years. I really like Speak low and your verse on Ashes to Ashley to name only a few. I also enjoyed the new single-irish funeral.

So yeah. Word.

Word. Make sure to start at The Original 11:11 Sessions.

I put out a lot of music, but out of all of it, that is the 1 project I can say I really focused on and handcrafted as an album to play front to back. Keep in mind it was recorded in 04/05, but it still holds up really well in 10.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:24 am
Dr Sagacious

Again, I can't say it enough, "Tummy" is one of the most poignant songs from your collection.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:49 am
futuristxen

bigsole wrote:

mac, there is something about your internet persona that appeals to these sort of fratty white kids, you should school them, make some webisodes lecturing them on race and priveledge. kind of like the "relationship advice" which i thought was brilliant.

Haha I loved those relationship advice topics that Mac did on HHI. Those should be collected somewhere.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:06 am
remind

erich wrote:

that shit still has a really visceral impact on people, trying to decide for them when that should change- or worse, saying they're just too "sensitive," because clearly it doesn't bother you- is an exercise in privilege.

I'd like to expand off my last post in this thread, and in response to the above. I'm not one to tell someone that something isn't racist. If it strikes you as such and truly bothers you, who would I be to say that you're wrong? Or that you're "just" being sensitive. Stating such assertions is where, I think, the exercise in privilege would enter. But are you saying that it's impossible to be overly sensitive to certain remarks that can be loosely tied? That it's always merely the insensitivity of the other to not recognize it?

Let's go back to "keep it Irish". On the surface, I don't have a problem with this. But one should ask what "it" is. Are you talking about your town because it's experiencing an influx of foreigners? Well, then yes, there's clearly racism there. But if the phrase is aimed at oneself or another because that's who they are...no problems. Context. Mac should be given the benefit of the doubt based on everything he's put out there. Would SFR be selling Love Potion 6 if the title of it was inherently racist or implying white pride? Doubtful.

Racism is and always will be a sensitive topic. But I do think it's possible that one can be too sensitive and it doesn't necessarily make me privileged to say so.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:16 am
tommi teardrop

I'm wondering, looking back, if the guys from anticon, or even other white rappers, can see how people took offense to the privledge that was exhibited in some of their music and and its promotion.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:46 am
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

i wonder... if tommi teardrop read my post a few pages back. YES is the answer.

did we (in my humble opinion) play a role in "advancing" hip-hop? YES, for a period of time.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:14 pm
Alias@anticon.com

tommi teardrop wrote:
I'm wondering, looking back, if the guys from anticon, or even other white rappers, can see how people took offense to the privledge that was exhibited in some of their music and and its promotion.

I can to a certain degree.

The way anticon was promoted in the beginning is pretty fucking cringe inducing for me. The liner notes on the first EP were really over the top. I wasn't involved at all with that side of things at that time. The first time I read them was the week it was released. DJ Mayonnaise and I were visiting DJ Signify in NYC. We went to a record store and bought it just so I could see it for the first time. Reading those liner notes on a NYC sidewalk for the first time is an experience I'll never, ever forget. I remember just reading it and saying "wow...wow...oh my god...wow" out loud.

Those liner notes, coupled with the name of the EP, Hip-Hop Music For The Advanced Listener, opened up a whole mess of immediate hatred. All I read about was how we were a bunch of rich, white, privileged college kids who thought we were "saving" hip-hop. Journalists didn't make it any better because they started saying we were the "answer to all the negative bling-bling, bitch, gangsta" type of shit. It became an angle for articles or a marketing scheme of sorts.

Nowadays, it's understandable for me to see why people just immediately pinned us as a bunch of rich, white, privileged college kids. At the time it annoyed the shit out of be because the only one of those adjectives that really applied to me was white. I took one semester of community college and quit. My dad was a firefighter and my mom was a bank teller. The only privileges I had were food, clothing and shelter. Not to make it sound like I was unhappy, but I certainly never had anything handed to me.

It really bothered me to read people write that we were elitists. I always viewed it as just wanting to try something different. But looking back, how else were people supposed to react to that sort of shit? The way it was presented and the way some of the anticon dudes spoke in interviews and on message boards...it makes alot more sense to me now why people hated us. That was picked up by journalists, and it just snowballed. It got to a point where it made me uncomfortable because of what Mac and a few other people have touched on in this thread...speaking to someone who listens to my music and having them tell me they can't relate to black rappers. It grossed me the fuck out. I don't know...I don't have any regrets in life, but if there was one thing I would change about my life, it would be how anticon was initially presented. I think the music would have spoken for itself. all of that pretentious shit just created more barriers for us. It prevented us from collaborating with other artists. It immediately turned people away before they would even listen to us, just because of the liner notes, the pretension and the non-stop sarcasm.

it is what it is now. But I can understand why it went down the way it did.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:17 pm
desert penguin

I'm only in the introductory stages of becoming acquainted with them, but it seems the aptly titled group Das Racist have taken anticon's early model, added a dash of hipster irony and come up with a genius marketing scheme. I don't know how popular they actually are, but it seems like I hear about them somewhere new almost every day lately. I've read a couple interviews with them and they really like to have fun with the pretentiousness schtick. Reading your post, Bren, makes me wonder if they were influenced by the early incarnation of your label, which seems likely after hearing they are name-dropping Sage.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:49 pm
laurapalmer

My post i just wrote was a disaster, so i will distill it to these three comments:

I wonder how Rawkus dodged the white boy bullet that anticon took? Maybe because a lot of the artists weren't white (not dismissing high and mighty), but i do think it was more the media and liner notes that set the wrong tone for anticon. Ironic because the Rawkus guys behind the label were much more the privileged white kids that anticon took the bullet on.

Regarding "keep it irish," i incorrectly interpreted the title to be more of a historical reference to anti-irish sentiment. It never crossed my mind that it might be interpreted as being an irish pride thing. Well, huh.

Not sure how kind history will be to that period of hip-hop, but probably not as kind as it should be.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:00 pm
laurapalmer

desert penguin wrote:
I'm only in the introductory stages of becoming acquainted with them, but it seems the aptly titled group Das Racist have taken anticon's early model, added a dash of hipster irony and come up with a genius marketing scheme. I don't know how popular they actually are, but it seems like I hear about them somewhere new almost every day lately. I've read a couple interviews with them and they really like to have fun with the pretentiousness schtick. Reading your post, Bren, makes me wonder if they were influenced by the early incarnation of your label, which seems likely after hearing they are name-dropping Sage.

You know...between your view of that cartoon in the UGHH thread and the above post i have come to the conclusion that either you or I are vastly misinterpreting the same information. I am positive on the cartoon. As for das racist, I could be wrong.
Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next