Search
Register
You know what scares the shit out of me?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Dr Sagacious wrote:
AdamBomb wrote:

Have some variety in your life, beenches.

Yes.

this is where hip hop needs to go next

mainsteam outlets need to play a variety of hip hop

and not just focus on one branch of it
Post Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:08 pm
laurapalmer

MCGF wrote:
Intrinsic wrote:
bigsole wrote:
money talks. and money will always talk. rawkus had money. we didn't. rawkus swept in and bought up all the underground NY scene which already had a global chokehold on the burgeoning indy hip-hop scene.

To be fair, they had that Murdoch money. That's not something easily gone against.

rawkus was funded by MURDOCH?? WTF!?! wow. how did that happen?

company flow, black starr, fox news. one of these things is not like the other...

Kind of. Rupert Murdoch's kid, James, was the financial backing of Rawkus and then Newscorp later bought Rawkus. That was during James' rebel years, which are pretty far behind him. He currently runs newscorp emea and is rupert's heir apparent. And, on a personal note, pretty much an asshole.
Post Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:58 pm
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

who likes a fair fight?
Post Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:47 am
pedavis

Re: You know what scares the shit out of me?  Reply with quote  

sarah q wrote:
laurapalmer wrote:
Mac Lethal wrote:

My friend Joe Good, essentially quit rap, because on tour a white dude came up to him and asked him if he could touch his hair.

I saw it happen. I may still quit rap because of it.

I just quit being white because of that story.

this.
Post Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:53 am
Dj Mayonnaise

tommi teardrop wrote:
I'm wondering, looking back, if the guys from anticon, or even other white rappers, can see how people took offense to the privledge that was exhibited in some of their music and and its promotion.

If I was black I'd want to beat the fuck out of us after that EP came out. I don't know how we survived in E Oakland. Seriously, that's some sort of miracle.

Most people who hung out with us knew that we weren't especially serious about any of that marketing. It was hilarious to us, but I can certainly see how people would take offense. I still don't get the rich nerdy label. No one from anticon had ANY money and dudes like Paul Barman made Sole look like John Stamos.
Post Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:37 pm
MCGF

laurapalmer wrote:
MCGF wrote:
Intrinsic wrote:
bigsole wrote:
money talks. and money will always talk. rawkus had money. we didn't. rawkus swept in and bought up all the underground NY scene which already had a global chokehold on the burgeoning indy hip-hop scene.

To be fair, they had that Murdoch money. That's not something easily gone against.

rawkus was funded by MURDOCH?? WTF!?! wow. how did that happen?

company flow, black starr, fox news. one of these things is not like the other...

Kind of. Rupert Murdoch's kid, James, was the financial backing of Rawkus and then Newscorp later bought Rawkus. That was during James' rebel years, which are pretty far behind him. He currently runs newscorp emea and is rupert's heir apparent. And, on a personal note, pretty much an asshole.

The son of the guy who spends his time buying up most of the news media rebels by buying up the N.Y. underground scene.... thats crazy, and hilarious in a fucked up sort of way. "Signed to rawkus, I'd rather be mouth fucked by nazis unconscious" indeed
Post Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:22 pm
Captiv8

Say what you want about Rawkus: El-P and Mos Def owe a large part of their careers to that record label. The exposure alone was huge. The rest has been pure hustle.
Post Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7