Profile
Search
Register
Log in
You know what scares the shit out of me?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Author Message
X the Outsider



Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Posts: 1070
Location: Iowa
 Reply with quote  

I always mean to watch those, but forget every time.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:35 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
crash



Joined: 07 Aug 2003
Posts: 5457
Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption
 Reply with quote  

al(phonic) wrote:
i dont think being against bling or gangsta rap is racism, though, its that many people dont relate to it and therefor feel awkward listening to it. its relating and personal taste

exactly. it bugs me when people say the love hip hop but they don't listen to "that gangsta shit"... you can usually guess what their favorite artists are (aesop, jurassic 5, et al)... but it doesn't mean they're racist.

in fact i've met a more than a few self-admitted racists who love tupac and dmx.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:39 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Reggie



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 5765
Location: Queens, NYC
Re: You know what scares the shit out of me?  Reply with quote  

Mac Lethal wrote:
Is that my contemporaries and I have fans that are genuinely racist at heart.

I am starting to wonder if all these white, snobby assholes, that parade "real hip-hop," and like our music because we "don't talk about the ghetto, or bling-bling, or cars, jewelry and clothes." etc., are actually against all of that stuff as a mechanism of being racist.

A fan sent me a message on Facebook, I went to her page to look at her profile, and the first thing I see is a comment some dude left her that simply read, "N---er." This post had about 15 responses of her friends and other random people joking around, yet never once did someone even acknowledge the presence of the word.

I messaged her about it, and she gave me some 10 paragraph response about how "it's an inside joke" and how its meaning isn't to be taken literally. But nah man.

Do these young people even know that hip-hop is black culture? Furthermore, when they are so vehemently against the materialism of commercial hip-hop, and support our music because of it, is it because they genuinely enjoy our music? Or is it because we represent their disdain for black people, and the materialism that stems from growing up in a relatively poor area of America?


You must be really busy. You're only getting to the posts you should have made in 2002 now.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:06 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
duxz



Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 935
Location: denver
 Reply with quote  

crash wrote:
al(phonic) wrote:
i dont think being against bling or gangsta rap is racism, though, its that many people dont relate to it and therefor feel awkward listening to it. its relating and personal taste

exactly. it bugs me when people say the love hip hop but they don't listen to "that gangsta shit"... you can usually guess what their favorite artists are (aesop, jurassic 5, et al)... but it doesn't mean they're racist.

in fact i've met a more than a few self-admitted racists who love tupac and dmx.


because in their minds these two cater to the stereotypes they have of black people. Its easy to say they put out wonderful music but they wouldnt eat with em.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:11 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dr Sagacious



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 1843
Location: Redford
 Reply with quote  

I know a couple of racist fratty kids who absolutely adore Mac Lethal's "feel-good" songs. The ones about beer, weed, etc. They only listen to those songs, and don't really venture into a song like "Halo" or "Tummy". Fuck 'em.

I think there is an easy solution to this. If you want to keep the fans, do a song or what Sole said, educate 'em. If you don't want them, then call 'em out.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:26 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
T-Wrex
p00ny tang


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 6405
Location: Detroit, Michigan
 Reply with quote  

"When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? It is because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind." ~ J. Krishnamurthi
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:31 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
erich



Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 3048
 Reply with quote  

Mac Lethal wrote:
The thing is, while I disagree with it, I guess I understand the logic of *some* ironic racism. I just think there needs to be a less hurtful, more honest approach towards it.


i'm wondering what the logic is? no accusation, just wondering what you think that is.

i feel like the excuse i hear for ironic racism (or ironic sexism or ironic homophobia) is the old "joking about it takes away the power," etc. of course white kids want to feel like saying n***** takes away its power, but the word never had that power over them. of course men can make rape jokes because they're not typically at risk for being raped.

that shit still has a really visceral impact on people, trying to decide for them when that should change- or worse, saying they're just too "sensitive," because clearly it doesn't bother you- is an exercise in privilege.

also, (and i'm not necessarily directing this at you mac) it seems like if your image/art is based around a kind of "fuck the world, take nothing seriously, party-time," no one should be surprised when ignorants latch on to that. that's exactly what they want to hear. i've seen it a lot with predominantly white funk bands, too. it seems like if you cultivate a fan base that doesn't care about misogynist lyrics or a homophobic joke here and there, it's not shocking when they're also racist, you know? it seems like it's all under the same umbrella.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:50 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
erich



Joined: 15 May 2005
Posts: 3048
 Reply with quote  

Confidential wrote:
Greg Tate, in his riveting essay, "Nigs R Us, or How Black folk Became Fetish Objects," wrestles with the observation that blacks are perceived as stereotypical hypersexual and/or near super-men/women physically. While this warped idolization may inspire backhanded imitation, it continues the degeneration of blacks to objects.


i'd also like to draw the line between this and the objectification of women as beautiful works of art to be put on a pedestal. a work of art is still an object. there's some weird shit going on over in the "what happened to the forum thread?"

and... i digress. i'm done pushing my agenda for today.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair


Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 1920
Location: kc
 Reply with quote  

"Keep it Irish" doesn't bother me at all. I know Irish/Irish-American history pretty thoroughly, and it's not definitely not synonymous with white-pride. I almost called it "Irish Need Not Apply" but I didn't want to start an unnecessary controversy of any sort.

A lot of people have misinterpreted what my music is about, but I can only do so much. It's definitely not about partying and weed and shit though.

This isn't just about my music though.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:23 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
SoSuhMe



Joined: 21 May 2010
Posts: 71
 Reply with quote  

bigsole wrote:
i think anticon's "elitist" past played into this mentality in ways that we didn't understand until people wanted to kill us, "where do white people get off saying they're advancing hiphop, etc."


mac, there is something about your internet persona that appeals to these sort of fratty white kids, you should school them, make some webisodes lecturing them on race and priveledge. kind of like the "relationship advice" which i thought was brilliant.


"keep it irish" in my opinion, can be taken as a form of white pride.


Do you see that as a problem? I mean i don't see the problem with someone having pride in their ethnicity and the things their ethnic group have accomplished in this world.

I think white people alot of times are unfairly characterized as "having no culture". Apparently people forget most of us hail from europe and have vast artistic, architectural and culinary treasures. I think it should be specified as most americans lack culture and lose touch with there ethnic roots.

People imitate what they see in the media. I see why alot of idiotic white kids repeat shit they heard Mike Epps or Dave Chapelle said. I understand why alot of black youth feel pressure to fit into the gangsta stereotype.

All to often in threads like this i get this impression that people our age range are a bunch of yuppie, gentrifying self important assholes. Not particularly in this thread but i have seen before some ole "hey these poor uneducated black kids aren't aware you are mocking them, ill be their advocate." To much condescending tone in these race debates.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
AdamBomb



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 3183
Location: Louisiana
 Reply with quote  

Sadly, I think a huge portion of people in general just suck. So if you have fans, statistically a portion of them are going to be assholes. Its math.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 21620
 Reply with quote  

AdamBomb wrote:
Sadly, I think a huge portion of people in general just suck. So if you have fans, statistically a portion of them are going to be assholes. Its math.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
remind



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 2202
Location: NJ
 Reply with quote  

Mac Lethal wrote:
"Keep it Irish" doesn't bother me at all... it's definitely not synonymous with white-pride.


Agreed. And I thought I was sensitive to racist remarks.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:10 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair


Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 1920
Location: kc
 Reply with quote  

erich wrote:
Mac Lethal wrote:
The thing is, while I disagree with it, I guess I understand the logic of *some* ironic racism. I just think there needs to be a less hurtful, more honest approach towards it.


i'm wondering what the logic is? no accusation, just wondering what you think that is.

i feel like the excuse i hear for ironic racism (or ironic sexism or ironic homophobia) is the old "joking about it takes away the power," etc. of course white kids want to feel like saying n***** takes away its power, but the word never had that power over them. of course men can make rape jokes because they're not typically at risk for being raped.

that shit still has a really visceral impact on people, trying to decide for them when that should change- or worse, saying they're just too "sensitive," because clearly it doesn't bother you- is an exercise in privilege.



The rape joke analogy is precisely what I was talking about.

I guess the logic is, "Just because your grandmother was raped, doesn't mean you were raped. You should be ok with rape jokes."

It just doesn't sit well with me, and I am from one of the most openly racist parts of the country (Ask Futur). I mean it's almost funny how much unabashed bigotry there is here. It is funny, actually. You can't take it seriously, or think it's something you can put a stop to. Your head/heart/organs would explode if you let every discriminatory comment you heard in this region of the country affect you based on your principles.

I guess I thought cultivating a fan base that was founded on my love for hip-hop, and my interpretation of it, would be a way to escape my day to day life here. But I was wrong, and I am starting to realize that the things I ostensibly represent are the things that attract a sect of my followers.


Last edited by Mac Lethal on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:30 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
C.R.A.Z.Y



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 2738
Location: Vote for me and i'll vote for you.
 Reply with quote  

who ever put their their entire text in bold...don't.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:34 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:48 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon