Search
Register
You know what scares the shit out of me?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Dj Mayonnaise

Re: You know what scares the shit out of me?  Reply with quote  

Mac Lethal wrote:
Is that my contemporaries and I have fans that are genuinely racist at heart.

I am starting to wonder if all these white, snobby assholes, that parade "real hip-hop," and like our music because we "don't talk about the ghetto, or bling-bling, or cars, jewelry and clothes." etc., are actually against all of that stuff as a mechanism of being racist.

A fan sent me a message on Facebook, I went to her page to look at her profile, and the first thing I see is a comment some dude left her that simply read, "N---er." This post had about 15 responses of her friends and other random people joking around, yet never once did someone even acknowledge the presence of the word.

I messaged her about it, and she gave me some 10 paragraph response about how "it's an inside joke" and how its meaning isn't to be taken literally. But nah man.

Do these young people even know that hip-hop is black culture? Furthermore, when they are so vehemently against the materialism of commercial hip-hop, and support our music because of it, is it because they genuinely enjoy our music? Or is it because we represent their disdain for black people, and the materialism that stems from growing up in a relatively poor area of America?

Shit is out of hand. Especially in the internet age where these little fucks can pop off on that dumb shit anonomously without getting curb stomped. In your case it trickled into some girls Facebook and it's "an inside joke"? Yeah, fuck that.

I've seen it a lot an I blame Bill Gates & Steve Jobs, personally...

iammessage wrote:
i moved to a small suburb of columbus recently (from columbus) and have had the pleasure of introducing a lot of "underground" music to a lot of kids i have met...and i often get the question "is this guy white?"...and when the artist IS white its followed by "ill have to check him out"...it has happened more than a few times...its weird, and uncomfortable....

I was at a little gathering and a co-worker of a friend did this, but he seemed to be an old hillbilly so I wasn't really surprised.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:36 am
X the Outsider

I met this woman one night, and we were talking about music. She said she loved Eminem, but hated all other rap. She actually got off of the bar stool and walked away when I told her Wu-Tang was one of my favorite groups.

None of this shit surprises me anymore.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:50 am
Intrinsic

It's because in the age of Obama white people are totally an oppressed minority.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:50 am
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

i think anticon's "elitist" past played into this mentality in ways that we didn't understand until people wanted to kill us, "where do white people get off saying they're advancing hiphop, etc."

mac, there is something about your internet persona that appeals to these sort of fratty white kids, you should school them, make some webisodes lecturing them on race and priveledge. kind of like the "relationship advice" which i thought was brilliant.

"keep it irish" in my opinion, can be taken as a form of white pride.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:52 am
redball

The answer seems pretty easy to me. Make a song in which you trash these sort of people explicitly and thoroughly. Everyone who hates you for it, or says "Man, I fucking love Mac Lethal but he really fell off when he released Whitewashing Hip Hop" is obviously one of those fans. At that point you can tell them you don't need their money or their support.

Beyond that, I don't think you should worry about it too much. I'm going to guess that the fans of hip hop who are such terrible racists like that are outliers of the community. It's easy to spot the outliers and it's even easier to over-represent them. Even among white hip hop fans I would say that the racist, white-only fans are a minority. I think it's best to write your music as you will and then augment it with shit, like this thread, that clearly states that you think people like that are wrong and you won't tolerate them.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:10 am
bigsole

the world is pretty racist.

&

times are changing back.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:19 am
Disharmony

Good point. What better way to alienate and eliminate these unwanted fans than making a track basically aimed at their ignorance. Who knows, maybe you could make some of your fans look at themselves and change for the better. Title the track "What I think about racist fans" Boom bam.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:21 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

anyone watch the brother ali video on the first page?

i highly recommend taking some time to watch it

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/5940232

Last edited by Neuro on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:26 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Disharmony wrote:
Good point. What better way to alienate and eliminate these unwanted fans than making a track basically aimed at their ignorance. Who knows, maybe you could make some of your fans look at themselves and change for the better. Title the track "What I think about racist fans" Boom bam.

I've been doing stuff of this sort for a while. Contrary to what a lot of people may think about my music. One thing is for sure, you'll be labeled as "preachy." And yes...you will totally have fallen off. The media doesn't like it either.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:27 am
bigsole

honestly. i like the web blog idea. fuck a song. talk to these people and explain em white privelege.

that brother ali video is dope.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:29 am
redball

Surely you could work in a few good digs without being preachy. But, I don't know fuckall about managing a music career.

I know a bit more about blogging, even if I'm not particularly great at that.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:40 am
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

bigsole wrote:

"keep it irish" in my opinion, can be taken as a form of white pride.

I never got into Mac's music, just not my tea cup, but I watch his video stuff from time to time when posted here and I cringe each time "Keep It Irish" is uttered.

I'm sort of wondering if you (Mac, now) are suddenly coming to this realization, or if this little incident just triggered you to make a thread about it. If it's brand new to you, I'd be a little concerned.

I always assumed you were privy to what the white boy interpretation of this stuff is, and I both admired and was uncomfortable by your ability to not address it.

I am partially talking out of my ass though, since I'm not a Mac-head. Respek.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:02 am
Intrinsic

What about the fact that the most known "Irish" hip-hop was made by a white Muslim?

Also if these white pride Irish racists listen to Slaine, they hopefully already got the anti-racism message.

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:18 am
bigsole

"my president is black and that dont mean jack"

if a black person had said that it'd have been ok. but i was white at the time, so it was an example of white priveledge, even though i thought i was doing a public service.

a black president was a symbol of overcoming 400 years of oppression. or a symbol of a hundred years of a new kind of oppression.

race sucks.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:20 am
mancabbage

brother ali's usteams are the shit, he's got a knack for explaining things in a very charming, interesting and easy to grasp way. i always see him post on twitter 10 mins before he goes on... just as i'm about to sleep, then end up staying up till 4am watching
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:27 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next