View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

laurapalmer

The following five things have been in rotation hip-hop wise for me:

freddie gibbs-str8 killa
ceschi
markyland-journey to markyland 3
the 2mex sampler mix by factor
tie: the jon connor mixtape and the young jeezy mixtape, with jon connor starting to pull ahead

I won't say that any of those will save hip hop or any shit like that, but they are in rotation.

and to all my friends, blood makes the blade holy is probably in slot 6. it is growing on me.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:04 pm
Rob-Raz

I can remember when I used to have to scour the local K-Mart or mall record store as a kid, looking for anything rap related and how exciting it was. The thrill of the hunt I guess. As the years passed,having so much music readily available, the market saturated and the thrill disappeared. These days, scouring the forums and internets, looking for those few gems that get me excited like I used get is part of the fun to me. So I guess i can't hate on the way things are....kind of nostalgic to me.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:18 pm
X the Outsider

Asterax wrote:
X the Outsider wrote:
Sarcastro wrote:
we don't talk about hiphop cause we're all old and the hiphop we used to love we don't love no more, in fact a lot of us hate her now, we get upset when we're reminded of our time together, and the hiphop we're with now we don't really love love, like we love her and she's still awesome but we're not making mixtapes for her or staying up til 2 am on a weekday talking on the phone even though we know we'll see her the next day.

It's like Sade said, it's never as good as the first time.

This is the truth right here. Hip-Hop is the ex we all think is a whore now.

Its interesting that you use that analogy because last week I was explaining to a friend of mine how I view my relationship towards hip-hop.

Instead of breaking up with hip-hop, I explained to my friend: I feel like I've been in an eight year relationship with her and she has gotten boring. What I found interesting and exciting about her before, I do not find very exciting now. I am just "floating" in our relationship.

More importantly, I am not going to keep listening to a type of music if I don't enjoy it anymore. If that happens, I am going to listen to what makes me happy instead and not live in the past.

But like that ex, some of it is still exciting and makes me happy. But when I start digging through what is out there popular/underground I really don't get it. Some of it, I like. It just doesn't respond like it used to.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:56 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I still like rap.

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:01 pm
Stumbleweed

I'm still on the Big Boi album, Slaughterhouse, and Blu and Exile lately... But still deep in the throes of Will Oldham-mania... also plenty of Afrobeat thrown in (Fela, Antibalas, Budos Band).
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:07 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I don't think I'll ever fall out of love with that whore.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:12 pm
The Count

My mom listens to APHC every weekend and therefore I listen to it a bunch whenever i'm over at her house on a sunday morning.

The whole show isn't great, but I fucking love Tales from lake wobegon. I'm not sure if there is someone who perfectly captures the human condition better than that piece of story-telling every week. The rest of the show i could take or leave, but Lake Wobegon is superb story-telling.

Plus he has a lot of bluegrass music which is great if you're into that scene.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Disharmony

Hay guyz. Just checking in to see if the forum is going to be okay and all?
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm
MCGF

Stumbleweed wrote:
I'm still on the Big Boi album, Slaughterhouse, and Blu and Exile lately... But still deep in the throes of Will Oldham-mania... also plenty of Afrobeat thrown in (Fela, Antibalas, Budos Band).

the big boi album is sweet!!! I don't understand why shutterbugg isn't COMPLETELY dominating the radio. its so infectious, and at the same time so fucking good... I heard a song by Blu and Exile, and liked it a lot so I think I will listen to an album.

I'm listening to the new big boi album, Blazing Arrow by Blackalicous, Funcrusher Plus by Company Flow, Operation doomsday- MF DOOM and the free central services EP that came out a while ago.

T-Wrex wrote:
I don't think I'll ever fall out of love with that whore.

Last edited by MCGF on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Raoul DeGroot

in conclusion, twitter fucked up the internet and a lot of people are ready to make some metaphors about whores
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:26 pm
Plum Puddin'

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:36 pm
Disharmony

Fuck twitter. We need an anti-twitter. Is there such a thing? I still don't fully understand what it is. Sometimes the internet makes me feel like I'm super old.....like 28 or something. Am I beginning to be "that guy". Will I wake up tomorrow with some random hot 18 year old Norwegian boy named Sven whispering "Jersey Shore was so awesome last night! I've got to go to work, but I don't know what to make for lunch....are there any Maraschino cherries left in the fridge?"

*Chills*
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:41 pm
futuristxen

I'm older than you and get along fine with twitter. I don't really get what there is to understand or not understand about it. It's a medium through which large previously unimaginable numbers of people can shuffle intense loads of information at the speed of thought.

Twitter is speeding up communication, and connectiveness in ways that you should find exciting.

If it makes a board like this obselete, then that is just the evolution of things. But as Mark in Minnesota mentioned there are things that could be done on this forum that would make it very twitter friendly. Go look at Warren Ellis's board and all the crazy gadgets there--not as many people post there as actively, but it's kind of because the board acts more as a base for the creation of networks and conversations that happen sort of in the heavens which sometimes descend back down to the message board, or vice versa. Ideally the relationship between a message board and twitter would be symbiotic.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:51 pm
Disharmony

I blame you for first bringing up twitter right before its leap into popularity. You had something to do with this, I know you did. It is your responsibility to heal this. I'm not strong enough Futur, I just can't handle these technological swings.

Please, don't make me be old Yeller's head and Twitter be Travis's rifle bullet. I'm okay, really. I'm just a little grouchy, I won't bite you...I'll just snarl and lick my nether regions while watching the world slowly decay around me.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:06 pm
Raoul DeGroot

twitter is for yappers
and people who treat information as so many soiled gym socks (that they do something naughty into) and discard.

The future lies not in profligate quantities of information. That was a cool idea at one point, but now the future is about honing those sources elegantly and wisely (or at least compellingly). The accessibiity and quick archiving of information is like many light sources that have moved from revealing the obscure to obscuring the revealed by shinig the now giant flashlight in everyone's face.
Twitter is like the noveau riche response to sudden info wealth. Poorly constructed and garish. Ultimately hollow and so dork, dude.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:40 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next