Search
Register
So what happened to the forum lately?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

MCGF

Thanks flossin for that thread... first page already has a ton of albums I haven't heard so I'll just work my way through that. I discovered ATLiens, Ceschi's new album, and Rebel Yellow all through discussion on this forum, so I'm really pumped about this.

wesfau wrote:

Darri Redux?

You people are getting a second chance. Don't fuck it up.

Not sure who else I'm getting grouped with but ya, I feel you. I'll sink back into my normal wall flower state now.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:17 pm
See Arrrgh

Sarcastro wrote:
jogging is stupid, play a sport. sports have a purpose, jogging is for morons.

By your comment, I feel it's safe to assume you've never played any organized sports through school/college. Otherwise, you'd realize how stupid your comment is. Replace "jogging" with "conditioning" and you'll understand my point. I also assume you're implying that playing a sport is better than jogging for someone who is already in decent shape. There might be some truth to this, but even professional athletes jog/run/sprint in order to stay in top physical shape. Sports don't get you in shape, the conditioning that you do in order to play a sport at the top of your game gets (and keeps) you in shape. That's why athletes work out (cardiovascular and weight training) in the off-season, as well as during the season.

Jogging (and the cardiovascular endurance that comes with it) goes hand in hand with playing a sport. If you can't jog, or find jogging to be "hard," then you're probably not going to fare very well at playing any sport that requires you to have to move around continuously.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:23 pm
wesfau

MCGF wrote:

Not sure who else I'm getting grouped with but ya, I feel you. I'll sink back into my normal wall flower state now.

Nah, man, I wasn't trying to discourage you.

Do some forum homework on Darri.

I think it's a compliment of sorts.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:25 pm
Plum Puddin'

Sarcastro posts are sarcastro yo.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:29 pm
Confidential

By the way, treadmills, I've learned, are not equivalent to jogging. According to the university gym where I used to workout, the treadmill only requires you to lift your legs at the pace of the treadmill, therefore you don't exert as much force as if you were actually propelling your weight forward as you would on the road. You'll notice that you can probably go longer on a treadmill than on the street. But they have treadmills that compensate for this and that closer to the actual workout of going for a jog. If you're at the gym, might as well get on the eliptical for cardio. And since I was at the university, I didn't need to feel embarrased because the other gym patrons were either football jocks or skinny emo kids, so I didn't have to prove anything. I think now I have enough skill where all I need is a set of dumbells and an open road. No need to pay for a gym.

And for the hip hop discussions, it is relative. On here I'm a novice at hip hop history, but in the real world I'm above average.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:08 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

speaking on jogging, when i was about 11, i decided that jogging was a " hip " thing to do. i got running shoes and head and wrist bands and i started jogging around the city i lived in at the time. i had a walkman and track pants and i used to jog around like a little fucking asshole listening to NPR and prarie home companion... then later, i discovered the sedentary lifestyle of cigarettes and tree houses so i quit jogging to be a little asshole hiding in a tree smoking filtered cigarettes. jogging and listening to prairie home companion at 12. what the hell happened to me? i even went out for the jr varsity track team that year. what a dork! all the other kids would be sizing me up, like whatcha doin? oh, just joggin and listening to NPR. jogging! good grief charlie brown.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:15 pm
MYOWNCLICHE

Li(f)e. It has a way of getting in the way of all the important stuff :(
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:28 pm
Sarcastro

we don't talk about hiphop cause we're all old and the hiphop we used to love we don't love no more, in fact a lot of us hate her now, we get upset when we're reminded of our time together, and the hiphop we're with now we don't really love love, like we love her and she's still awesome but we're not making mixtapes for her or staying up til 2 am on a weekday talking on the phone even though we know we'll see her the next day.

It's like Sade said, it's never as good as the first time.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:48 pm
Sarcastro

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
speaking on jogging, when i was about 11, i decided that jogging was a " hip " thing to do. i got running shoes and head and wrist bands and i started jogging around the city i lived in at the time. i had a walkman and track pants and i used to jog around like a little fucking asshole listening to NPR and prarie home companion... then later, i discovered the sedentary lifestyle of cigarettes and tree houses so i quit jogging to be a little asshole hiding in a tree smoking filtered cigarettes. jogging and listening to prairie home companion at 12. what the hell happened to me? i even went out for the jr varsity track team that year. what a dork! all the other kids would be sizing me up, like whatcha doin? oh, just joggin and listening to NPR. jogging! good grief charlie brown.

I wanna hug you til I hurt you.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:49 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

hm. fuckin computer.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:57 pm
Confidential

I can understand smoking in the treehouse, but who listens to NPR at 11 years old?
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:21 am
myopicrequiem

Confidential wrote:
I can understand smoking in the treehouse, but who listens to NPR at 11 years old?

Who here can build a tree house these days?
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:29 am
Mark in Minnesota

There are technology problems with the forum as it currently stands. Search is broke, it's hard for new users to sign up, and even though participation in social media is effectively a requirement for new members there's no integration between this and those platforms. This is an especially significant issue because those same platforms, plus related things like Ustream, have really decentralized the way artists are able to interact with their fans. I'm not sure these things can be fixed without killing the spirit of the forum.

Places like this used to lower the barriers to entry for interaction between artists and their fans but that's not true any more. For at least the last couple of years it seems like the forum has actually raised the barriers to entry, in no small part because artists who aren't Strange Famous affiliated no longer have as much incentive to come here and take part in this and half a dozen other similar communities.

I've also noticed that the only threads that go longer than about 30 replies without ending badly are the big omnibus threads: random video, sports, video games, etc. The rest of the threads peter off into people just sort of riffing humorously on whatever the thread started out being about, or go full-blown flame war, or quite often in Hall of Fame threads both at once. Maybe it was always this way and it only started bothering me recently, but I feel like I definitely noticed a change in tone around the time some of the troll users really started showing up in force.

I saw the recent thread about the exoplanet as a particularly instructive example: the first couple of pages were direct discussion of the discovery and its implications, after that there were a couple of pages of still-serious tangent bordering on flamewar, and then suddenly Plum Puddin' is in there covering the thread's mouth and nose with one hand and waiting until it stops kicking. Same thing happens in lots of threads and there are lots of people doing it. I've done it a couple of times myself.

It's not a universally bad thing, it keeps the Fallacy of Serious Business from running the show -- but over a long enough timeline the community optimizes itself for people who like playing that particular game, or who are for whatever reason immune to it. It's hard to see why an outsider would want to come in and participate in that, particularly when there are so many other forums on the Internet which specialize in the same exact thing.

There's also the whole two minutes hate that gets directed at certain types of well-meaning young(er) people. Darri, knowrites, and prolific memorie each got it in a different way, and stuck through long enough to become sort of vaguely infamous as a result. I think a lot of others just end up leaving or lurking rather than deal with it.

In the meantime there's still a core community here with some very unique and valuable characteristics. It contains some smart people, some ridiculously talented people, some hilarious people, some admirable people. It's just that the thing that community is formed around has increasingly less to do with what this community spends its time talking about. It's doubtful to me that the core could form a second time. I'll never stop being a bad fit for this place but I would miss it if it weren't here, particularly because so few other decent phpBB boards have had the good sense to disable forum avatars.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:50 am
futuristxen

That just about sums it up. Especially the last bit about feeling a bad fit for the forum, but missing it if it were gone.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:25 am
phataccino

Confidential wrote:

Who listens to Prarie Home Companion at any age?
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:56 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next