Profile
Search
Register
Log in
life sustaining planet possibly found
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Author Message
C.R.A.Z.Y



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 2719
Location: Vote for me and i'll vote for you.
 Reply with quote  

we haz thumbz we entitled to everythangz! brang it on! i soon be warmin my feets in yer planet b.
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:18 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
IAmNiki



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Posts: 1604
Location: North Smithfield, RI
 Reply with quote  

breakreep wrote:
Szechwan wrote:
I am fucking pumped for science these days.
The LHC is up, running and finding crazy shit already. Kepler's been launched, and is finding habitable exoplanets already.

We're living in an exciting time folks, we're going to see some awesome stuff reaaal quick.

To me though, the best part about humans is that that statement has rung true for every generation so far, and will for every generation to come. Humans kick ass. We're incredibly greedy and irresponsible, but look at how god damned far we've come in the last 100 years. If we can hold this place together long enough get our heads out of our asses, science will solve our problems. It's just whether or not our greed will let us.


Another bingo.

There are quite a few people in our world (many of whom participate in this forum) who assume "because the present is the status quo, the future will be the status quo". These people are blithely unaware of the actual magnitude of our progress in all walks of life in the mere centuries since Copernicus started kicking things off for Western science.

In the last two hundred years alone we have gone from riding in horse-drawn wagons, to designing spacecraft propulsion systems that can reach speeds on the order of .1c. We have gone from candles and shitty electric lamps with the approximate luminosity of ten medium-sized candles, to nuclear reactors that power entire cities full of plasma screen TVs.

We have gone from casual expectations of regularly occurring pandemics, epidemics, and crop failure moderating the planet's human population, to having cured and managed so many diseases and increased crop yields by such huge factors that we are worried that there are going to be too many people living. How many of you reading this paragraph actually get just how fucking weird and amazing that is?

I mean, yadayada. I could write such a long post detailing our technological (and often resultantly humanistic) advances that it would turn into a book and I'd have to look for a publisher.

In just a few centuries! Despite the best efforts of the biggest religions worldwide to discourage or even reverse scientific advance! Despite all the wars and dictators which used beneficial technology for evil purposes, and the corporations which continue to do so!

I've even met quite a few physicists and physics students who, though they largely agree with everything I've just written, still think that we will eventually die off as a species along with the entropy of everything else in the universe!

In a single century or so we've gone from having no understanding of the makeup of an atom, to literally taking pictures of them and using particle accelerators to discover the constituent components of their constituent components.

In a single century we've gone from not knowing whether light was a wave or particle or whether there was anything special about it at all, to building common and complex machines whose very function depends on quantum mechanical and relativistic principles. That's fucking cool. You know what's cooler? We didn't see any of this stuff for another fifty years after it was first postulated! We only knew about it in the first place because of creative people inventing mathematical equations and drawing pictures to represent those equations, pictures and equations which half a century later were measured to be accurate and led to the development of every gadget you own or have ever seen.

We've done all of that in a single century, and yet even physicists tend to caution against expecting science to dramatically change things any time soon, if ever, let alone to the point where we can eliminate death or manipulate the structure of the universe to keep it from suffering ultimate entropy.

Yet we potentially--that is, if we get our stupid sectarian shit together--have billions of years to figure all of this out! Anyone who denies the possibility of ANY scientific advance occurring in the next several billion years, after the rapid century we've just witnessed, is either being as closed-minded as the religious nuts who insist that we're alone in the universe, or simply doesn't understand what a billion means, how fucking big of a number it really is.

I mean, we've just come too far, too fast for that bullshit. Do you even get what science is? What it's capable of? What it's already done? I mean, do you even get it?

And whenever someone talks about science being inherently destructive, or imperialistic, or whatever else, I want to vomit in that person's face. Science only kills people because people kill people. You can invent a galaxy-destroying gun, and it's not going to hurt anyone unless some cowboy pulls the trigger.


Quote:

Embrace how little we know, and how inconsequential our planet, solar system and galaxy are in the massive scheme of things. Awesome.


And that's a great note to end on. To anyone who thinks we're arrogant for wanting to get off of this solitary boulder, well, it takes quite the ego to think that this solitary boulder is so special as to be worth dying on when the physically inescapable tides come.


this.
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:29 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
C.R.A.Z.Y



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 2719
Location: Vote for me and i'll vote for you.
 Reply with quote  

manifest destiny it is then.
it's what the people want.
the smart people... and
if i don't agree they'll vomit on me.

i guess that settles it.
they have the space ships
and all the vomit and words.
they win.
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:01 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay


Joined: 27 Aug 2002
Posts: 720
Location: the o
 Reply with quote  

sorry to pile more logs on the fire... but ray kurzweil fascinates the hell out of me...
yall familiar with his views on immortality?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqXBLDyGOjI

or the exponential curve of technology?
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:07 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
See Arrrgh



Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 251
Location: New England
 Reply with quote  

I guess planning ahead in an attempt to keep humanity alive when shit starts hitting the fan is a worthless endeavor. Because of the faults of the greedy and the ignorant, we should all just resign ourselves to the inevitable when it comes. Right CRAZY?
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:15 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
manifest destiny it is then.
it's what the people want.
the smart people... and
if i don't agree they'll vomit on me.

i guess that settles it.
they have the space ships
and all the vomit and words.
they win.


See, what you're doing here is spouting nonsense. What you should do if you have a problem with one or more of my lines of reasoning, is address that line of reasoning specifically. Show me how it's wrong.

But fuck that. To start with, show me how you're getting 'manifest destiny' out of my post. That seems like a good starting point.

Or are you just here to toss blind ignorance and fear into the superstitious fire of America?

Or are you simply unconcerned about the fate of anything but your own knee-jerk conscience?

Fuck me, but I am so sick of mollycoddling sciencephobes and jaded, irony-laden hipster nihilists. Not everything that disagrees with your notions of proper conduct can be accurately stuffed into a contorted framework of Western imperialism or be usefully dealt with by displays of hippie love in the face of nonexistence. Not that you're necessarily both of those things, CRAZY, but I bet God exists if you're not one or the other.
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:30 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
C.R.A.Z.Y



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 2719
Location: Vote for me and i'll vote for you.
 Reply with quote  

no im just always unimpressed when i hear people say we MUST colonize space because we fucked up earth. like we are due, merely by existing, to put our hand in everything. plant the flag because we can.

i like the ideas of exploration, knowledge and space travel, but for different reasons then the " we must have this because we ruined this so where else will we go? " people. i like science for it's ways. not for what it can get me.

the colonize because we need a new planet line is hum drum, run of the mill. i just don't like it, i do not agree and i never will. it's wack.

besides, like i said, without the stargate, we won't get that far anyways. it's not much to talk over. like arguing about how we should live in the future. no time machine either.

we can go on and on about how great science is and what is has done for us and what we have done with it, but until we actually have a publicly known way to travel that far in the galaxies, it's moot

moot!

breakreep wrote:
Not everything that disagrees with your notions of proper conduct can be accurately stuffed into a contorted framework of Western imperialism or be usefully dealt with by displays of hippie love in the face of nonexistence. Not that you're necessarily both of those things, CRAZY, but I bet God exists if you're not one or the other.


just because i'm not buying what you're selling doesnt mean i fit the straight jacket you picked out for me, know it all. be careful when you place your bets ...

oh yeah and btw i fuckin messed up and ruined my house. i know where you live, so i'm going to come over there man. your place is nice. since i know where it is, i'm going to sleep on the couch and eat your food. deal.
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Charlie Foxtrot



Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Posts: 1379
Location: Rochester, NY
 Reply with quote  

breakreep wrote:
Szechwan wrote:
I am fucking pumped for science these days.
The LHC is up, running and finding crazy shit already. Kepler's been launched, and is finding habitable exoplanets already.

We're living in an exciting time folks, we're going to see some awesome stuff reaaal quick.

To me though, the best part about humans is that that statement has rung true for every generation so far, and will for every generation to come. Humans kick ass. We're incredibly greedy and irresponsible, but look at how god damned far we've come in the last 100 years. If we can hold this place together long enough get our heads out of our asses, science will solve our problems. It's just whether or not our greed will let us.


Another bingo.

There are quite a few people in our world (many of whom participate in this forum) who assume "because the present is the status quo, the future will be the status quo". These people are blithely unaware of the actual magnitude of our progress in all walks of life in the mere centuries since Copernicus started kicking things off for Western science.

In the last two hundred years alone we have gone from riding in horse-drawn wagons, to designing spacecraft propulsion systems that can reach speeds on the order of .1c. We have gone from candles and shitty electric lamps with the approximate luminosity of ten medium-sized candles, to nuclear reactors that power entire cities full of plasma screen TVs.

We have gone from casual expectations of regularly occurring pandemics, epidemics, and crop failure moderating the planet's human population, to having cured and managed so many diseases and increased crop yields by such huge factors that we are worried that there are going to be too many people living. How many of you reading this paragraph actually get just how fucking weird and amazing that is?

I mean, yadayada. I could write such a long post detailing our technological (and often resultantly humanistic) advances that it would turn into a book and I'd have to look for a publisher.

In just a few centuries! Despite the best efforts of the biggest religions worldwide to discourage or even reverse scientific advance! Despite all the wars and dictators which used beneficial technology for evil purposes, and the corporations which continue to do so!

I've even met quite a few physicists and physics students who, though they largely agree with everything I've just written, still think that we will eventually die off as a species along with the entropy of everything else in the universe!

In a single century or so we've gone from having no understanding of the makeup of an atom, to literally taking pictures of them and using particle accelerators to discover the constituent components of their constituent components.

In a single century we've gone from not knowing whether light was a wave or particle or whether there was anything special about it at all, to building common and complex machines whose very function depends on quantum mechanical and relativistic principles. That's fucking cool. You know what's cooler? We didn't see any of this stuff for another fifty years after it was first postulated! We only knew about it in the first place because of creative people inventing mathematical equations and drawing pictures to represent those equations, pictures and equations which half a century later were measured to be accurate and led to the development of every gadget you own or have ever seen.

We've done all of that in a single century, and yet even physicists tend to caution against expecting science to dramatically change things any time soon, if ever, let alone to the point where we can eliminate death or manipulate the structure of the universe to keep it from suffering ultimate entropy.

Yet we potentially--that is, if we get our stupid sectarian shit together--have billions of years to figure all of this out! Anyone who denies the possibility of ANY scientific advance occurring in the next several billion years, after the rapid century we've just witnessed, is either being as closed-minded as the religious nuts who insist that we're alone in the universe, or simply doesn't understand what a billion means, how fucking big of a number it really is.

I mean, we've just come too far, too fast for that bullshit. Do you even get what science is? What it's capable of? What it's already done? I mean, do you even get it?

And whenever someone talks about science being inherently destructive, or imperialistic, or whatever else, I want to vomit in that person's face. Science only kills people because people kill people. You can invent a galaxy-destroying gun, and it's not going to hurt anyone unless some cowboy pulls the trigger.


Quote:

Embrace how little we know, and how inconsequential our planet, solar system and galaxy are in the massive scheme of things. Awesome.


And that's a great note to end on. To anyone who thinks we're arrogant for wanting to get off of this solitary boulder, well, it takes quite the ego to think that this solitary boulder is so special as to be worth dying on when the physically inescapable tides come.


I agree with quite a bit of this, but for what it's worth we did almost blow ourselves up at one point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

I'm a big fan of science...but it makes me nervous sometimes
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:18 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Szechwan



Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 585
Location: Vancouver Island
 Reply with quote  

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:

besides, like i said, without the stargate, we won't get that far anyways. it's not much to talk over. like arguing about how we should live in the future. no time machine either.

we can go on and on about how great science is and what is has done for us and what we have done with it, but until we actually have a publicly known way to travel that far in the galaxies, it's moot

moot!


Seriously? Moot?
The biggest asset we have as a species is our ability to imagine, plan and prepare for the future. The reason we've been successful is because we've found an appropriate balance in weighing the present with the future.

You just don't like thinking about a future that you won't be apart of, but guess what? The world will go to shit if we all refuse to look past our own lifespan. We're an intelligent enough species to know this, and if that isn't reason enough to continue on that path I don't know what is.

The more we know, the smaller we become on the scale of time and space and there's no reason to think that trend won't continue. We could be wiped out completely at any moment in a million different ways. The only thing more inconsequential than our tiny little civilization is a civilization that doesn't exist anymore. Someone has to plan for our eventual leaving, and we all know that practice makes perfect.


Last edited by Szechwan on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:28 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
oh yeah and btw i fuckin messed up and ruined my house. i know where you live, so i'm going to come over there man. your place is nice. since i know where it is, i'm going to sleep on the couch and eat your food. deal.


Yeah so here you are again with this nonsense. Like you're the first person to consider the ethics of contacting extraterrestrial life or the first to suggest that we shouldn't usurp a biosphere which is already occupied?

Haven't you ever wondered why we haven't drilled all the way down to Lake Vostok? I mean, it's only like 100 m away. We've already made it through kilometers, and then just stopped. We stopped because we don't want to contaminate the biosphere that we think is under the ice with organisms living on our drill bits.

If the scientists in charge of drilling a hole in Antarctica don't want to contaminate the life that's already there, really, how special do you think your notions of interplanetary non-contamination are?

This is what I mean by blithely unaware. You don't even have a clue what the actual state of affairs is for the things you're criticizing.

Oh and, implying that you're not a sciencephobe doesn't make you not a sciencephobe.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:30 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real


Joined: 03 Feb 2006
Posts: 6278
Location: airstrip one
 Reply with quote  

E-high five for breakreep, tearin it up in hurr.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:35 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
remind



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 2189
Location: NJ
 Reply with quote  

Hey breakreep... it's OK that we die.

:)
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real


Joined: 03 Feb 2006
Posts: 6278
Location: airstrip one
 Reply with quote  

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/cold-war/sovietsbomb.htm

I found that while perusing the wikipedia link from above. Humanity has come close to destroying itself a few times.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:27 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  

remind wrote:
Hey breakreep... it's OK that we die.

:)


Powerful.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:27 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
T-Wrex
p00ny tang


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 6339
Location: Detroit, Michigan
 Reply with quote  

bigsole wrote:
sorry to pile more logs on the fire... but ray kurzweil fascinates the hell out of me...
yall familiar with his views on immortality?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqXBLDyGOjI

or the exponential curve of technology?


just listened to all 6 parts of that... awesome shit.


i can't wait til my brain is transplanted into a cyborg..
i don't think i'd get a case of the ennui..
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:38 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon