Search
Register
life sustaining planet possibly found
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

well we have wrecked the earth we gotta get off it.

i never tied the discovery of exoplanets to disclosure though, thats really an interesting thought. whats this UN alien ambassador? is that some dr stephen greer shit? cuz he's little more than a televangelist.

personally, i could die a happy man if i could see a photo of what the ground of another planet looks like... with some strange 6 legged bovine armadillo looking up like "what it do"

it takes 6 months to fly to mars. it costs less money to send a probe to mars, then to build a deep sea oil well. kennedy said, "we're going to the moon" and we were there within a decade. why has it taken us SOOOO long to go back to the moon? why havent we begun working on spacecrafts that can actually reach other stars?

the kevlar telescope will find a TON of possible planets, and everytime one is found we need to send probes out.

they need to put more research into figuring out how to fix the bone loss in space though, that shit really sucks.

i believe there very well could be a thriving ocean under europa (jupiters moon)... it only takes a few years to get there...

some great scientific discoveries could really help our psyche.
Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:06 am
bigsole

i do think that pop sci headline is wreckless, and that scientist is looking for fame.

100%

no self respecting scientist would call anything 100% unless they had eliminated all doubts.
Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:07 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

bigsole wrote:

false.
Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:18 pm
neveragainlikesheep

Fuck us. Why should we get another chance?
Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:26 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

neveragainlikesheep wrote:
Fuck us. Why should we get another chance?

yeah and if we ruin our planet and cant fix it, we would ruin another. anything habitable is likely to be populated with something. be it single celled or humanoid, we have no right to take our empiricist butts elsewhere and destroy what belongs to another life form.

if we havent learned from our mistakes we would likely repeat them. any other habitable planet with this attitude of entitlement would become planet iraq, planet afghanistan. planet brooklyn.

im all for learning about new unknown finds in space but i don't think we should assume ownership a la manifest destiny.
Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:59 pm
bigsole

well... they've opened up space to commercial interests now... so the race to colonize has begun.

i agree in theory to what you are saying crazy, but i think that is what humanity does, when we are at our best/worst... we look onto the horizon and say "there is land on the other side of this ocean..." "there is life in space" "there is another earth"

so greed is on its way to space, whether we'll be around to see it or not is the real question. and i want to see it. the horror and the beauty.
Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:18 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

bigsole wrote:
well... they've opened up space to commercial interests now... so the race to colonize has begun.

that's precisely why i started moon pirg four years ago. to protect the galaxies from space colonization. to join moon pirg, don't donate any money, don't go into space, to join moon pirg you do nothing NOW. i started moon pirg to address the crucial issue of doing nothing now. join the fight by not going into space.
Post Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:02 pm
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

bigsole wrote:

i never tied the discovery of exoplanets to disclosure though, thats really an interesting thought. whats this UN alien ambassador? is that some dr stephen greer shit? cuz he's little more than a televangelist.

apparently that story about the UN ambassador which broke on CNN is actually false.

and yeah, Stephen Greer is a scheister.

they've been having these panels on CNN and FOX of ex-military guys who have come out together about UFOs at nuke sites, and how they were told to keep zipped about them.

the ideas of extraterrestrials being more intimately involved with us then most could imagine isn't that far flung of an idea to me. the buzz in the conspiracy world is that if disclosure isn't made soon that these beings will show themselves anyways. so the gov'ts are trying to acclimate us. who knows? doesn't really affect if i can pay my mortgage.
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:33 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

either way this planet is so far away, i think we are more likely to destroy earth before three generations could get there in a ship.

to get there, we'd need the stargate.

;)
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:48 am
outpatient

the term UFO is so funny to me. like when you say "I saw a UFO" you're literally saying "I saw a thing in the sky". no shit, you saw a thing? STOP THE PRESSES!

by the way, I wanna stick up for humanity. Earth is a doomed boulder and the species here aren't gonna make it whether or not we chop down trees or drill for oil or battery farm mcnuggets or whatever it is you think we oughtn't do. No level of harmony on this planet will stop a giant asteroid or the sun's eventual expansion and vaporisation of all living things, so I'd say using up the resources here to build spaceships and GTFO is a far nobler and meaningful cause than being a hater. fuck earth, shout out to people!
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:00 am
Raoul DeGroot

The ultimate goal of humanity is to become multi-dimensional, immortal space ghosts. We're gonna have to fuck up some earths to make a space ghost, dawgs.
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:28 am
Szechwan

I am fucking pumped for science these days.
The LHC is up, running and finding crazy shit already. Kepler's been launched, and is finding habitable exoplanets already.

We're living in an exciting time folks, we're going to see some awesome stuff reaaal quick.

To me though, the best part about humans is that that statement has rung true for every generation so far, and will for every generation to come. Humans kick ass. We're incredibly greedy and irresponsible, but look at how god damned far we've come in the last 100 years. If we can hold this place together long enough get our heads out of our asses, science will solve our problems. It's just whether or not our greed will let us.

Embrace how little we know, and how inconsequential our planet, solar system and galaxy are in the massive scheme of things. Awesome.

edit: we DO need an all encompassing science thread though. I don't know a damn thing about it, but physics is endlessly fascinating to me. I don't have the brain to comprehend what I'm actually reading most of the time, but someone here does. I want to discuss.

Last edited by Szechwan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:50 pm
RoNn1e

Great, we found another planet to be miserable on. Awesome.
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:38 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

outpatient wrote:
Earth is a doomed boulder and the species here aren't gonna make it whether or not we chop down trees or drill for oil or battery farm mcnuggets or whatever it is you think we oughtn't do. No level of harmony on this planet will stop a giant asteroid or the sun's eventual expansion and vaporisation of all living things, so I'd say using up the resources here to build spaceships and GTFO is a far nobler and meaningful cause than being a hater.

Bingo.

Global warming is an immediate threat to portions of our extant civilizations, but in the long run, completely irrelevant. The sun will cause Earth to be uninhabitable long before it actually swallows the planet whole, which in turn will be long before Andromeda collides with the Milky Way and renders large portions of both galaxies uninhabitable. One way or the other, we need to leave. May as well hop to it, rather than fighting new technology like some cranky old ass of an idiot who can't stand the kids with their i-Pods.

Saying "We already fucked up here, we don't deserve another chance," is tantamount to saying "I don't understand science and have never even thought about humanity's future in a critical manner, and I don't want your optimism reminding me about my ignorance!"
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:07 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Szechwan wrote:
I am fucking pumped for science these days.
The LHC is up, running and finding crazy shit already. Kepler's been launched, and is finding habitable exoplanets already.

We're living in an exciting time folks, we're going to see some awesome stuff reaaal quick.

To me though, the best part about humans is that that statement has rung true for every generation so far, and will for every generation to come. Humans kick ass. We're incredibly greedy and irresponsible, but look at how god damned far we've come in the last 100 years. If we can hold this place together long enough get our heads out of our asses, science will solve our problems. It's just whether or not our greed will let us.

Another bingo.

There are quite a few people in our world (many of whom participate in this forum) who assume "because the present is the status quo, the future will be the status quo". These people are blithely unaware of the actual magnitude of our progress in all walks of life in the mere centuries since Copernicus started kicking things off for Western science.

In the last two hundred years alone we have gone from riding in horse-drawn wagons, to designing spacecraft propulsion systems that can reach speeds on the order of .1c. We have gone from candles and shitty electric lamps with the approximate luminosity of ten medium-sized candles, to nuclear reactors that power entire cities full of plasma screen TVs.

We have gone from casual expectations of regularly occurring pandemics, epidemics, and crop failure moderating the planet's human population, to having cured and managed so many diseases and increased crop yields by such huge factors that we are worried that there are going to be too many people living. How many of you reading this paragraph actually get just how fucking weird and amazing that is?

I mean, yadayada. I could write such a long post detailing our technological (and often resultantly humanistic) advances that it would turn into a book and I'd have to look for a publisher.

In just a few centuries! Despite the best efforts of the biggest religions worldwide to discourage or even reverse scientific advance! Despite all the wars and dictators which used beneficial technology for evil purposes, and the corporations which continue to do so!

I've even met quite a few physicists and physics students who, though they largely agree with everything I've just written, still think that we will eventually die off as a species along with the entropy of everything else in the universe!

In a single century or so we've gone from having no understanding of the makeup of an atom, to literally taking pictures of them and using particle accelerators to discover the constituent components of their constituent components.

In a single century we've gone from not knowing whether light was a wave or particle or whether there was anything special about it at all, to building common and complex machines whose very function depends on quantum mechanical and relativistic principles. That's fucking cool. You know what's cooler? We didn't see any of this stuff for another fifty years after it was first postulated! We only knew about it in the first place because of creative people inventing mathematical equations and drawing pictures to represent those equations, pictures and equations which half a century later were measured to be accurate and led to the development of every gadget you own or have ever seen.

We've done all of that in a single century, and yet even physicists tend to caution against expecting science to dramatically change things any time soon, if ever, let alone to the point where we can eliminate death or manipulate the structure of the universe to keep it from suffering ultimate entropy.

Yet we potentially--that is, if we get our stupid sectarian shit together--have billions of years to figure all of this out! Anyone who denies the possibility of ANY scientific advance occurring in the next several billion years, after the rapid century we've just witnessed, is either being as closed-minded as the religious nuts who insist that we're alone in the universe, or simply doesn't understand what a billion means, how fucking big of a number it really is.

I mean, we've just come too far, too fast for that bullshit. Do you even get what science is? What it's capable of? What it's already done? I mean, do you even get it?

And whenever someone talks about science being inherently destructive, or imperialistic, or whatever else, I want to vomit in that person's face. Science only kills people because people kill people. You can invent a galaxy-destroying gun, and it's not going to hurt anyone unless some cowboy pulls the trigger.

Quote:

Embrace how little we know, and how inconsequential our planet, solar system and galaxy are in the massive scheme of things. Awesome.

And that's a great note to end on. To anyone who thinks we're arrogant for wanting to get off of this solitary boulder, well, it takes quite the ego to think that this solitary boulder is so special as to be worth dying on when the physically inescapable tides come.
Post Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:37 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next