Search
Register
RIP Greg Giraldo
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

It's OK that it's weird. I didn't watch the other things. I watched him act like a dick head and be really great at saying shitty things about people. And then when he died, people said shitty things about him and that's OK because...that's what he's remembered for.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:59 am
tommi teardrop

I never really saw a lot of his stand up. I liked him on that Underwear Outside the Pants song. He was one of the few roasters that actually brought original intelligent comments about people. He seemed sincere and really genuine about his profession.

Sincerity goes a long way with me. Whether he was known for takng the piss out of people, or whether people took the piss out of him after he died, niether of those things make me look at him as tragic or make me look down on his legacy.

I just think it's sad that a smart, sincere person is no longer here.

I never really look at roasters as dick heads though. They are invited there to honor someone by ripping on them. I don't see how that is dickish.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:23 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I keep hearing about how smart, kind and sincere this guy is.

Yet, all I'll ever know him for is being a dick head.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:27 am
futuristxen

It would be like if after you died, the news title was "New England Battle Rapper Found Dead" and then Patton Oswalt was on a message board talking about how he will only remember you as a dick head battle rapper.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:46 am
tommi teardrop

Maybe other people are just more familiar with his work. I could hate on all sorts of artists if all I did was judge them on their most commercially successful ventures. But unless I really took the time to look at their body of work, I would probly just be talking shit.

Gilbert gottfried? You mean the parrot from alladin? Already said here.

George carlin? The 7 words guy and the dude from Thomas the train?

Andy kauffman? The guy from taxi?
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:49 am
bbreakz

Gilbert Gottfried? The guy from USA Up All Night?

Sage has a point. A lot of people will remember Giraldo for the roasts. That is unfortunate. But roasts are popular again and he was good at it, and more people saw him on the roasts because they were televised. What can you do?

Anyway I know he was a good comic and I wish he had more success. And didn't OD.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:20 am
Bob_ptmfus

Gilbert's twitter strikes again:

RealGilbert Gilbert Gottfried
Good news! Greg Giraldo's loved ones are clearing out his apartment. They'll be sending me a set of towels with the initials "GG"!!!!
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:36 am
jehu

Sage Francis wrote:
It's OK that it's weird. I didn't watch the other things. .

this is probably why you have a (what gg fans perceive to be)skewed opinion of this guy. you say it yourself, you've only seen his roasts where you're SUPPOSED to be insulting. his stand up & hosting shit is funny & sincere.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:09 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I still think my point is being missed. But that's OK.

I made serious strides to be known as something other than a battle rapper. My efforts went into different things. But let's assume in some alternative reality I was never anything other than a battle rapper. When I died I don't think my friends would say shitty things about me in battle rap form. And if someone did that in a mean way, I don't think my friends would say, "Awww shucks...he would've loved that. It's all a tribute." haha. I hope not anyway.

I wouldn't want that for me. I don't like that it happened with him. And I think the roasts are lame for the most part. You can roast a motherfucker with class but it takes some serious skill to do that and still have bite. I'm interested in seeing how they turn from here on out (if at all.)
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:25 pm
AdamBomb

Sage Francis wrote:
I still think my point is being missed. But that's OK.

I made serious strides to be known as something other than a battle rapper. My efforts went into different things. But let's assume in some alternative reality I was never anything other than a battle rapper. When I died I don't think my friends would say shitty things about me in battle rap form. And if someone did that in a mean way, I don't think my friends would say, "Awww shucks...he would've loved that. It's all a tribute." haha. I hope not anyway.

I wouldn't want that for me. I don't like that it happened with him. And I think the roasts are lame for the most part. You can roast a motherfucker with class but it takes some serious skill to do that and still have bite. I'm interested in seeing how they turn from here on out (if at all.)

I don't think Gilbert Godfried was/is using good judgement to roast Giraldo after his death. There's the fun in roasting someone, but I think he's going too far. That being said, I have never heard anything funny from Gilbert in anything he has done. Fuck that voice immodulation disorder having piece o sheeit.

Much like hip hop, comedy has its underground as well. Comedy Central is kind of the MTV of comedy. So, your exposure is just from the mainstream outlet. We are attuned to your music, and it is equally jarring when someone says, "Oh yeah, isn't Sage that emo rap guy?" after they read one review and heard two songs. Its fair to have your perception, but since you have learned more that he did more than just roast, is it fair to keep the same perception in spite of this?
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:49 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I'm not the one roasting him in his death. Well, I am now...to make a point. But it's the comedians, his "friends," the media...and even people on this forum saying it's all part of a tribute. So that reaffirms the whole "he's just a roaster" opinion.

I don't like that he dissed Flav. That's where all my anger is coming from. haha
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:13 pm
Disharmony

Flav dissed himself long before any roast came along. Isn't Flav just that dude who exploits women and himself for money?

I don't know Giraldo. I don't really care that he died. He made me laugh on a few occasions when I checked out his stand up. I also remember laughing as he destroyed Larry the cable guy. Some of his stand up was top notch, sad to see we won't get to see anymore from a hard working/cutting edge comic.

But at least when you shoot a duck, the fish get to swim in its blood.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:20 pm
Bicycle

Disharmony wrote:
Flav dissed himself long before any roast came along. Isn't Flav just that dude who exploits women and himself for money?

Isn't greg geraldo just that dude who exploits men, women and himself for money by hosting possibly the biggest hollywood circle jerk ever?

Those roasts are some of the most trite bullshit ive ever been privy too. Not quite as trite as the 'best of comedy central roasts special' hosted by greg geraldo. which was essentially Comedy Central jerking itself off to itself jerking itself off

If greg geraldo was indeed a smart man then he must have realized the completely disposable and incestuous nature of what those shows are all about. but he still attached himself to them which kinda makes him more of an elitist sellout with his head up his ass rather than anything I care about
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:47 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Disharmony wrote:
Flav dissed himself long before any roast came along.

I was kinda sorta joking, but I can't really agree with this.

Greatest hype man alive > deadest roast master

all day.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:00 pm
Disharmony

Bicycle wrote:
Disharmony wrote:

Isn't greg geraldo just that dude who exploits men, women and himself for money by hosting possibly the biggest hollywood circle jerk ever?

Those roasts are some of the most trite bullshit ive ever been privy too. Not quite as trite as the 'best of comedy central roasts special' hosted by greg geraldo. which was essentially Comedy Central jerking itself off to itself jerking itself off

If greg geraldo was indeed a smart man then he must have realized the completely disposable and incestuous nature of what those shows are all about. but he still attached himself to them which kinda makes him more of an elitist sellout with his head up his ass rather than anything I care about
Elitist-sell out? What is this....8th grade? Oh gull, he was quite the conformist, pig comic! Wahhh, he made fun of people and was a meanie!!!! Wahhh. Who fucking cares.

Make easy money while supporting his family via making fun of douche bags and other celebrity dribble? Sounds like the life to me. A hero even. Too bad the idiot died....he didn't know what he had.
Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:46 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next