Search
Register
U.S. bill to stop pirate sites
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Dr Sagacious

redball wrote:
This is a pressure tactic to get Europe to agree to ACTA. This is no big deal unless you run a legitimate website. It won't stop copyright infringement at all.
Post Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:51 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

My concerns lie in giving a judge the power to determine what websites I can and cannot see. That's scary to me.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:26 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
redball

The judges already have the ability to do that with any website in the US. This is aimed outside our borders, and of course the target is somewhat legitimate websites. The big question is what will the international response be were this to happen. That's why I think this is just a stick being used to beat dissenters into submission over ACTA. If every first world nation has a super-DMCA then you don't need a remote kill switch for websites.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:56 pm
Blackstone Valley

Since when does the United States have jurisdiction over sites that operate or are registered in foreign lands? Since Never.

If this applies to sites that are registered in the states... Whatever. All those sites suck anyways.

Cut the shit, judicial system. Cut. The. Shit. Cut the shit, dinosaurs of the digital age. Cut. The. Shit. Adapt to developing technology, use it to your advantage. Stop trying to flush it down the damn toilet.

It's the Digital Age!
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:23 pm
redball

Those registrations include every .com, .org, and .edu, amongst other TLDs. Even if your registrar is overseas if you have one of those TLDs then you've ultimately registered through the US.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:49 pm
Blackstone Valley

redball wrote:
Those registrations include every .com, .org, and .edu, amongst other TLDs. Even if your registrar is overseas if you have one of those TLDs then you've ultimately registered through the US.

Owning the internet has its perks.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:56 pm
anomaly
Loserface

I vote we go back to cassettes and vinyl anyways. The days when owning an awesome collection of tons of music that you could just look at and jack off to. Digital is just boring.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Maybe people will make art and just not get paid for it.
Let's face it - People are gonna make art whether they get paid or not. In fact, they may actually pay you to look at it.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:21 pm
Blackstone Valley

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
Maybe people will make art and just not get paid for it.
Let's face it - People are gonna make art whether they get paid or not. In fact, they may actually pay you to look at it.

This isn't an either/or scenario. This technology can be leveraged for the benefit of all artists. This is taking place independently, and more widespread adoption of these techniques.. It's just not happening. People are scared.

Leverage Tech.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:42 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Yeah, I think a broader swath of people could get paid from the new schema, but everyone's going to be paid less. Much less.
Unless they tour a lot, get the patronage of corporations, or make things that can be bought by very rich people as investments.

Like a lot of things- mass marketed and produced artwork is kind of a bubble economy. I do believe
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:51 pm
redball

The answer:

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:15 am
Dj Mayonnaise

anomaly wrote:
I vote we go back to cassettes and vinyl anyways. The days when owning an awesome collection of tons of music that you could just look at and jack off to. Digital is just boring.

zomg
http://www.cio.com/article/print/618417
Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:15 am
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

good.

i'll happily go back to renting DVD's if it means it makes it harder for people to download my music without paying. as it is itunes pays my rent every month, i'd be happy to see it pay for a weekend trip to vale every month too.
Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:59 am
redball

The DVD market is dying and will be replaced by a pay-per-play market. Should ACTA be signed in a state that is closer to what the US wants than what Europe wants all mainstream media will become a rented commodity with a revenue model that relies upon repeated sales to the same customers. The first sale doctrine has already been eliminated by the court for software, and thus it will be eliminated by technology and legal code for other media.

Media signature technology is advancing in leaps and bounds. Soon your mixed tape will get your website pulled from the Internet. Your remix will be automatically found by a web crawler and your ISP will get an automatically generated take down notice. Your uncleared samples will be found and prosecuted, no matter how widespread your music is.

Not that we should fight this. Let it be, you can't stop it anyway. Just prepare for the coming age of increased media colonialism.
Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:39 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

bigsole wrote:
good.

i'll happily go back to renting DVD's if it means it makes it harder for people to download my music without paying. as it is itunes pays my rent every month, i'd be happy to see it pay for a weekend trip to vale every month too.

What if it means the government has access to all the files on your computer?
Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:40 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next