Search
Register
will.i.am..so much more than music
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

MYOWNCLICHE

will.i.am..so much more than music  Reply with quote  

I've love his sound for a long time, but now I have mad respect for the mans big heart.

Quote:

On May 10, the Oprah Show featured families who were facing foreclosure as a result of the recession. Both families attended the show under the guise they were going to receive financial counseling to help them keep their homes. The Eller Family, consisting of eight children, owed $250,000 on their mortgage and only had two months to catch up their mortgage before their house was foreclosed. The Allgood Family, consisting of a single mom and her daughter owed $100,000 on their home and only had a couple weeks before their house was foreclosed.

Well Oprah gave these families the shock of a lifetime. She let them know that superstar will.i.am was going to personally pay off both of their mortgages and they would own their homes free and clear. Talk about a blessing! Will.i.am stated the issue was personal to him. He grew up in and around poverty and now that he is able to care for himself and his family, he wants to continue to help people and give back.

Specifically he said, “Now that I can take care of my family, I don’t want to just stop with my own,” …”I don’t dream to be like mega crazy rich. I just want to be able to create, make music and help people when they need it.” As a result of his mission to help others in need, will.i.am has started a non-profit organization, i.am home fund, to raise money to help families facing foreclosure. Now that is called putting your money where your mouth is.

As I was perusing the i.am home fund website, I also discovered that will.i.am started a scholarship fund for aspiring college students. The scholarship provides four-year scholarships to students pursuing a course of study and career in Film & Television, Journalism, Computer Science and…New Media! As an advocate and player in the New Media space, I am so excited that will.i.am is sending students to college to have a career in this space. It is the future and here to stay! In addition, after the students satisfactorily complete their course of study and graduate, willl.i.am, will offer them a job at his digital company, Dipdive.com. All I can say is Wow, Wow, Wow!

I am so impressed by will.i.am’s commitment to giving back and educating our youth and employing them, I am donating to his causes. will.i.am is walking the talk!

If you would like to donate to either the i.am home fund or i.am scholarship fund, click the links below.

i.am home fund

i.am scholarship fund
Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:41 pm
AdamBomb

Class act. Very cool.
Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:36 pm
jehu

AdamBomb wrote:
Class act. Very cool.

i dig these stories.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:38 am
Ardamus315

i got even more respect for this dude. thats real good to hear.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:49 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

it was a nice thing to do but...
it was also self promo as an artist
i mean he did do it on Oprah.
Oprah!

it's called PR

it would have been truly nice of him
if i wasn't hearing about it

but conversely on the other hand
using ones personality in the public
to build awareness for a cause
and use your name to inspire others to do,
the PR aspect is over look able.

people see people they are fans of
doing something good they do good as well
so it's give and take.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:05 am
X the Outsider

Who cares if he did on Oprah? He did it, and that's all that really matters.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:56 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

X the Outsider wrote:
Who cares if he did on Oprah? He did it, and that's all that really matters.

helping two families and starting a small fund is only a drop in the drop in the bucket. for all we know oprah really paid for it. it is called PR.

real good deeds gone and get done in secret. but it was still a good deed none the less.

so what if i am skeptical about people getting PR?
like i said at least it was PR for good not something bad

i mean he coulda got a misspelled jugalo tattoo.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:15 am
X the Outsider

If Oprah paid for it, then he's an asshole trying to make himself look good. But if he did it, with his own money, bringing attention to his charity funds in hopes to actually raise money to help people then I see nothing wrong in it. Charities need PR too, and it's not like he's buying ad time like other charities either.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:21 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

X the Outsider wrote:
If Oprah paid for it, then he's an asshole trying to make himself look good. But if he did it, with his own money, bringing attention to his charity funds in hopes to actually raise money to help people then I see nothing wrong in it. Charities need PR too, and it's not like he's buying ad time like other charities either.

i didnt say it was wrong i just said it was something i reserve skepticism about. for all i know his label and oprahs companies are subsidiaries or some shit. i dont care. like i said it's give and take.

anyways at least some people got something they needed. that's usually never a bad thing. but good deeds gone wild are not as fun as secret santas. but he can use his name to inspire people for supporting the cause so that's alright.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:54 am
Captiv8

I don't really care for the man as an artist or self-fashioned eccentric, but I respect helping people less fortunate. Good lookin, William.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:58 am
pedavis

yeah what a dic this guy sux
Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:36 pm
Sarcastro

Come on we all knew Will.I.Am was a charitable guy, he's paying his best friends to stand around looking cool for 6 albums now.
Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:41 pm
OM3N

Great! No sarcasm intended.
Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:18 pm
Szechwan

MYOWNCLICHE wrote:
I've love his sound for a long time, but now I have mad respect for the mans big heart.

Not cynical enough.
C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
helping two families and starting a small fund is only a drop in the drop in the bucket. for all we know oprah really paid for it. it is called PR.

Toooo cynical.

Really though, shameless self promotion or not, the point is folks didn't lose their home.

It's like if Apple were to sponsor every homeless person in the world by giving them an apple shaped house. Sure it'd be completely ridiculous and self indulgent of them, but in the big scheme of things that's a lot of warm beds.. and at a certain point that's all that really matters.

I'll support this kind of PR over a sex tape alllllllll day.
Post Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:41 am

Jump to: