Search
Register
The Mormon Cartoon - not exactly accurate. Thoughts?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Perryman82

[quote="Raoul DeGroot"]You should just continue with this faith stuff as long as you can swallow it. I think it would be totally awesome to go live in space after I die.

quick short version:
jWs believe that when you die, you fall asleep in death. Until you are ressurected into the paradise, which will happen when jesus returns with his myriads of angels to destroy evil on the great day of armagheddon. Soon to take place, according to the bible based publication watchtower and awake....
excuse the spelling.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:30 pm
futuristxen

One thing I wonder in regards to atheism or even agnostics is where they end up putting their faith in? Because faith is a primordial psychic construction that can be a really helpful tool in times of distress, or where you are needing to feel a little extra conviction and meaning about whatever you are doing--do atheists just not exercise faith, or do they put it elsewhere? And if so, where? Does it leak out in ways that shift the personality in different ways from the theist? Or do you consider faith to be something that should be suppressed emotionally? Is faith something we have to move past?
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:41 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Perryman82 wrote:

quick short version:
jWs believe that when you die, you fall asleep in death. Until you are ressurected into the paradise, which will happen when jesus returns with his myriads of angels to destroy evil on the great day of armagheddon. Soon to take place, according to the bible based publication watchtower and awake....
excuse the spelling.

If an essential part of your personality is to be and experience things in a finite and sequential manner, how are you going to like living in the infinite allspace of paradise? Will you be the same you, Perryman82? DONT ASK YOURSELF SUCH THINGS?
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:45 pm
Raoul DeGroot

futuristxen wrote:
One thing I wonder in regards to atheism or even agnostics is where they end up putting their faith in? Because faith is a primordial psychic construction that can be a really helpful tool in times of distress, or where you are needing to feel a little extra conviction and meaning about whatever you are doing--do atheists just not exercise faith, or do they put it elsewhere? And if so, where? Does it leak out in ways that shift the personality in different ways from the theist? Or do you consider faith to be something that should be suppressed emotionally? Is faith something we have to move past?

Faith is just a tool that can be subbed out with a busy mind and a weekly fifth of whiskey.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:47 pm
futuristxen

[quote="Perryman82"]
Raoul DeGroot wrote:
You should just continue with this faith stuff as long as you can swallow it. I think it would be totally awesome to go live in space after I die.

quick short version:
excuse the spelling.

Has there ever been a time in JW history where they didn't think Armageddon was coming soon?
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:48 pm
Raoul DeGroot

They never got the memo that Jesus liked to use parables. The ancient JW precursor stepped out for a smoke when they explained that part. That's why they don't smokeum now. But they love to schmoke the weed. They always have the stash.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:51 pm
aarono

Re: Some answers about the Mormon Faith  Reply with quote  

laurapalmer wrote:
wesfau wrote:
aarono wrote:
wesfau wrote:
samhansen wrote:

Moving on to Joseph Smith. The cartoon says he was a treasure seeker, but that is misleading.

No, it's not. Smith made quite a bit of money seeking lost items for people. He used his "seeing stones" to attempt to locate these missing items. He never found anything and was widely regarded as a charlatan.

The "seeing stones" were also instrumental in the golden tablet part of the story.

That seems to be bullshit what is your source?

Jon Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven". He is pretty thorough with his citations.

Also shows up in D Michael Quinn;'s book, and the mormon church accepts it as true, but points out that the historical context is that money digging was acceptable employment in that time. It is a fact, not much to debate there.

I thought I sent this a while ago but guess not. I could definitely be wrong on this one... I wouldn't go so far as saying the mormons accept it as true though (because the leaders excommunicated Quinn because his books were not in line with their teaching). But it sounds like historians respect his work in general. The dude seems a little nuts but sounds like it'd be an interesting read.
Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:18 am
mancabbage

all i need in regards to faith is right here in this movie

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:49 am
phataccino

haha...yes!

"Be excellent to eachother, and party on, dudes!"
Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:51 am
Perryman82

If an essential part of your personality is to be and experience things in a finite and sequential manner, how are you going to like living in the infinite allspace of paradise? Will you be the same you, Perryman82? DONT ASK YOURSELF SUCH THINGS?[/quote]

Not sure if you want me to answer those questions. Considering the final sentence...
Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:37 pm
Perryman82

Has there ever been a time in JW history where they didn't think Armageddon was coming soon?[/quote]

Nope Theyve always thought it was around the corner. If it had come for example in 1920, there would be about 6 million less JWs worldwide, god does not desire anyone to be destroyed. .... A great tribulation is supposed to occur first, at that time all men will know who gods people truely are and his name will be vindicated.

He doesnt want you to serve him just to save your life. But to serve him because you love his commandments.(According to there interpretation of the bible)..... He is giving mankind there last chance to come to know him.... His people will stand out in the last days, and be preaching his word in every land (Bible Prophesy). JWs are 7 million strong, and in every land possible worldwide. If I go to a congregation in San francisco that same discussion is happening all over the world, everyone is on the same page.

JWs Base every single belief on the bible. Originally they used the king James Version of the bible, they use a translation now. But either or can be used to show there beliefs.
Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:00 pm
squirtisblow

Perryman82, I wish you believed in the variations of 'there'.

But really, how the hell do Jehovah's Witness' believe only 144,000 people go to heaven? wtf man.
Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:04 pm
Z-0

Perryman82 wrote:
He doesnt want you to serve him just to save your life. But to serve him because you love his commandments.(According to there interpretation of the bible)..... He is giving mankind there last chance to come to know him.

what kind of loving god gives a mandate to his people to love him/her/it "or else"? i can never move beyond that dictatorial position. i hear believers say god has given man a choice, such a grand offering, but the choice is limited to two outcomes: paradise or hell. purgatory perhaps? but that's a process leading to heaven, so the eternal two still stand.
Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:43 pm
mancabbage

7 million?

fuck all. there are more manchester utd fans
Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:48 pm
Perryman82

what kind of loving god gives a mandate to his people to love him/her/it "or else"? i can never move beyond that dictatorial position. i hear believers say god has given man a choice, such a grand offering, but the choice is limited to two outcomes: paradise or hell. purgatory perhaps? but that's a process leading to heaven, so the eternal two still stand.[/quote]

Yeah it does come down to 2 options. But he gave us a choice at least.
If you believe he is the creator of Man and Universe, he would know what is best for you...

What religious group has never participated in war?

What religious group is fulfilling christ commision and teaching people about the bible? Worldwide?

JWs are in a seperate catagory, from the top 3 world religions. Which was the Original arguement when JWs were mentioned.....
Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next