Search
Register
The Mormon Cartoon - not exactly accurate. Thoughts?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Perryman82

[quote="Sage Francis"]From the latest issue of Awake, the Jehovah's Witness's strange little magazine.

Hrrrm havent seen that one... strange magazine indeed, but informative. In my opinion.

Side thought:
50 billion requested by Obama today..Finger pointing as whom is to blame for this depression.. Somethings gotta give. People cant just keep getting unemployment extensions forever.
Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:44 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Where did that Obama side thought come from? Is that part of this discussion at all?

*edit*
Awake is informative? mmmmm. I love information.

Last edited by Sage Francis on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:56 pm
redball

There's a massive increase in structural unemployment and unemployment benefits are among the most direct and effective stimulus. The idea of extending unemployment benefits is to try to keep people afloat while industry retools, unusually high efficiency subsides (worker burnout, temporary gains), and workers develop new skills.

Republicans really, really want to prevent any stimulus because if they can spark a double dip recession it's about their only hope of winning the Presidency in 2012. How easily they forget that Bush was the first one to extend unemployment benefits as he presided over the beginnings of the recession.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:00 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

Sage:

Please troll for religious types somewhere other than your facebook account. There are decent arguments for their respective belief systems, but these dudes are not making them.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:54 am
neveragainlikesheep

Hitchens is amazing. To still be producing at the same level as he has in the past while dealing with his cancer is the definition of spitting in death's face. I hope somehow, perhaps by an act of God (heh), that he can survive this.

That last article posted was some of the funniest writing I've ever seen from him and some of the saddest. The other is absolutely correct in it's approach to organized religion and it's desire to operate outside of bounds of the common good.

He hasn't always been right on everything, but his is still one of the most interesting, honest and strong voices to come along in a long time. It would be a tragedy to lose him so early. Fight on, Hitchens.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 am
Perryman82

the mean wrote:
Sage:

Please troll for religious types somewhere other than your facebook account. There are decent arguments for their respective belief systems, but these dudes are not making them.

Done. goodbye.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:49 pm
mancabbage

toys > pram
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:07 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

Perryman82 wrote:
the mean wrote:
Sage:

Done. goodbye.

If only I could make the Ten Commandments on the county court house down the street disappear this easily.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:16 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

He gave it a hell of a go. To his credit, it's really difficult to support your end of the discussion when there's nothing to back up the wild claims.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:23 pm
pedavis

Sage Francis wrote:
He gave it a hell of a go. To his credit, it's really difficult to support your end of the discussion when there's nothing to back up the wild claims.

this seems to be a good description of most religious discussions i've had.

"So, Adam and Eve had two children, a boy and a girl, then they had more boys/girls, and so forth? Thus populating earth?"

"Yes."

"But if you had sex with your sister/brother, would they would come out alright? I mean, religiously/biologically speaking."

"..."
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:53 pm
pedavis

Mr Jenkins wrote:
sage can go fishing for some more on facebook and reel them in to the pit where his minions will defecate on them

awesome! pure genius. haven't laughed this hard at the internet for a minute.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:22 pm
redball

I think the bible is hard to defend from a biblical literalist standpoint, but it's much easier to defend if you focus on rational interpretation and the belief that most/all of it was transcribed by humans who are imperfect. Of course, there are very few people who aren't reading translations and interpretations of the bible, so you basically know someone is a loon when they believe in a particular version of the bible, especially when it's one of the ones translated to English.

I think anyone willing to come in and debate this in an obviously hostile territory deserves credit. To some extent, I agree with the mean. I'd like to see more debate on this subject that didn't fall back on calling the bible a fact, or telling people to "look it up" without providing any reasonable reference material to look at. Also, I'd like my religious debate free of random unrelated politicking. I do think they made a decent case against that cartoon, for what that's worth...
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:25 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

This doesn't really relate to this topic, but it still sorta does and I thought it was funny.

I really don't know how to classify my mom. She is a Christian, I think she believes that the stories in the bible are true (like the living to 900 because of the water balloon in the sky protected you but then it popped and flooded out Noah). But she is really open-minded and non-judgmental about all kinds of stuff. She laughs when I show her raptor jesus or the ghost busters sucking him into their proton packs.

But...

She listens to this really creepy Christian radio station sometimes in the car, and one of those days they happened to be talking about vampires. Their expert witness apparently used to be involved in a cult and they somehow tied in cults --> vampires ---> satan and that pop culture interest in vampires and "dark" entertainment is just a gateway to satan in your life. WTF? It was weeeeird.

For some reason, she bought it and was asking me what I thought about it. I looked at her and said "Really, mom?! Must I remind you that I was almost kicked out of the Catholic high school you sent me to because they thought I was a devil worshiper?!" (best year EVER! I was also a lesbian, so I hope I die and people still think of me as a lesbian satanist...).
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:13 pm
Perryman82

Couldnt stay away.  Reply with quote  

Ok im back. I thought about it while hiking with my girlfriend today. This discussion has tested my faith everyday, and has lead me to do more research. Which is a good thing, ive been lazy about it.

I want to remain in this discussion, my aim is to better support my statements... I am 28 years old and have an entire family 5 siblings of JWs, and my father is an elder in the church/kingdom hall.... they have stuck to there faith there whole lives, and ive been in and out of the organization. My knowlege of the bible is satisfactory to be honest with you guys.

So i hope to continue learning and seeing all sides of the debate.

Thanks for at least a little bit of credit, made me feel a little better.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:11 pm
Raoul DeGroot

You should just continue with this faith stuff as long as you can swallow it. I think it would be totally awesome to go live in space after I die -with Slimer, Rumacroom, little flying naked babies. Just hanging out. Petting white bengal tigers and shit. Farming.

Dying sucks. I'm going to pay someone to reprogram me before I get too old so the terror doesn't cripple me.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:15 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next