Search
Register
The Mormon Cartoon - not exactly accurate. Thoughts?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

neveragainlikesheep

icarus502 wrote:
The mainstreaming of Mormons is really kinda an incredible story. We now have had a Mormon major Republican presidential candidate and, especially, the figurehead/leader of the largest right-wing populist, Christianist movement in thirty years is a Mormon. I think part of this is pure race. Whiteness apparently trumps kooky religious beliefs that are as extreme about Jesus as that of Islam. Still, I wonder how many of the folks at Glenn Beck's religious rally last weekend really understand how different his idea of Christianity is from theirs. Mormons don't even believe in the Virgin Birth! (Islam does, though, oddly enough)

Bingo.

It's completely about race and politics. I've been talking to a guy I went to church with when I was younger about Beck, his beliefs and him support of him and he has no qualms about his religious beliefs even though Beck's faith breaks with quite a few traditions that most Christian denominations hold to. It's wild. I've even thrown quotes from the Bible at this dude and he finds ways to avoid acknowledging that they could apply to Beck even though some directly do (Revelations 22: 18-19 in regards to the Book of Mormon for example.) He then tells me not to base my politics around religion. !!!

So a Mormon demagogue preaches division and hate every other night, lies constantly and believes in a religion that states doctrine that are so far outside of mainstream Christian thought that most do not even see it as a branch of Christianity, but the second he starts talking about God and restoring a bunch of values that really haven't disappeared at all in this country, people go absolutely gaga. It's fucking weird.

If it were a Muslim or a Jew in this position, none of these people would show up even though these two faiths are the closest to Christianity, doctrine wise. Most of these nimrods have no idea that Jesus plays an absolutely massive part in Islamic end times eschatology.

I even dropped this doozy: Romans 16: 17-18 "17 I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. 18 For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people."

If that doesn't describe Glenn Beck and the people who listen to him, I don't know what does. His answer: "God wasn't talking about politics." If the Bible can't even bring these people to their senses... We're all fucked.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:31 am
neveragainlikesheep

Also, Beck's assault on Liberation Theology and Black Liberation Theology in general is just one of the ways he's turned the truth on it's head and used misinformation to scare white Americans into 1. doubting and outright denying President Obama's faith based on something he said about "collective salvation" 2. seeing black churches as a threat to white mainstream Christianity as well as the United States by equating them with Communism and Marxism and 3. viewing their religious beliefs through race colored lenses. Jesus is a white cultural icon just like the Founding Fathers to these people.

Furthermore, it would be quite dangerous for people to know the truth of Liberation Theology in Latin America, because it might just change their perspective about Mexicans today. Right wing Christians might even begin to realize that their neighbors aren't simply illegal aliens, they're also fellow Christians. The more I read, the more dirty and evil this thing gets.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:55 am
mancabbage

how do they spin it to you guys when they teach you about Joseph smith creating Mormonism and then being murdered, by other Mormons?

are ya still taught the whole thing about the gold plates in america and all that?
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:04 am
wesfau

I knew next to nothing about Mormonism.

Then I read "Under the Banner of Heaven".

Enlightening, to say the least. It is a religion built upon the ego of one con man and with a violent, murderous history.

But, I guess that can apply to other religions as well.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:34 am
mancabbage

when i was at school my mate (who went a different school) asked me if we'd been getting the backpack guys on our bus.. had no idea what he was talking about at the time, described that they always had two fellas in nice suits, sharp yet sensible hair cuts, backpacks and a name badge, was creepy as fuck, i mean at that time we were all masterbating over gillian andersson and cursing mulder so conspiracy theories started to run around. Soon enough the fuckers started appearing on our busses too. Then one day someone found out that they were mormons and that sucked.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:50 am
neveragainlikesheep

Cool story, bro. Haha.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:56 am
phataccino

I was at a Halloween party a couple years ago where someone was dressed up as a mormon. It was the best, simplest costume idea ever: white button up shirt with nametag, black pants, backpack, bike helmet.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:59 am
neveragainlikesheep

This is classic. Dude is on point.

Granted, he's being an ass, but he's still right on a lot of shit.

Last edited by neveragainlikesheep on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:06 am
mancabbage

neveragainlikesheep wrote:
Cool story, bro. Haha.

haha i know right, i'll try and put a warning in front of my next tale of romane, intrigue, heartbreak violence and glory
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:06 am
neveragainlikesheep

mancabbage wrote:
Cool story, bro. Haha.

haha i know right, i'll try and put a warning in front of my next tale of romane, intrigue, heartbreak violence and glory

This is as good a place as any for some more tales of awesome.

Mancabbage's Tales of Awesome and teh Shit
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:13 am
medicineman
HALFLING

The only thing that makes Mormonism any more ridiculous than other religions is it's origins are less obscured by the fog of history.

The lesson of Mormonism to all of us should be: Avoid violently persecuting weirdo fringe religious groups, this actually consolidates their movement and gives them a sense of purpose, even righteousness and martyrdom.

There are lots here, this is one of the jumping off points of the Mormon Trail, sort of. One of our main drags is "Mormon Trek Avenue" and we have a "Mormon Handcart Park." Just like other religious folk, lots of them are poorly educated about their own doctrine, and it's fun to serve them with superior knowledge of their scripture when they approach you.

'OK, Elder, let's talk about D&C 132 then'
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:55 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

This is classic. Dude is on point.

Granted, he's being an ass, but he's still right on a lot of shit.

Ha! This guy got them. "Now you don't want to talk about this all night?!"

He's an ass, though and mighty sketchy.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:56 am
neveragainlikesheep

Well, he is an Black Israelite after all...

Still, he zings 'em when they try to give him the Book of Mormon.

I love this.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:03 am
phataccino

"Anytime you want a woman to come to your house and deficate on your bed, that is disgusting."

Will that fit on a bumper sticker?
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:17 am
Confidential

I love esoteric, Afro-centric Christianity in small doses.

I'd like to talk more about liberation theology.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:27 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next