Search
Register
THE Walking Dead Thread! On AMC No Less!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

X the Outsider

The Walking Dead is based off the comic series by Robert Kirkman. I haven't read the comics yet, but from what I've heard they are really good.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:43 pm
Captiv8

I love that you've taken to time to respond thoughtfully to my post, Icarus. Good to see you're part of the fold. There is an extreme dissociation that occurs in the mainstream zombie cinema, and it has always pissed me off. It's ridiculous to keep making movies in which no one has any idea what's happening, what zombies are, and what needs to be done. There's always some hapless douche that can't figure out the brain must be destroyed. Zombieland was the closest thing to world where people actually knew what was up, and were actually a excited to be a part of the apocalypse.

To bring it back to your post, these zombies do seem to prefer urban centers, but how does that explain the large number outside of dude's house at night? Where are they during the day? Sunbathing? Down at the Y sleeping on some bleachers? Fuck no, zombie's have only one circadian rhythm and it's 100% centered around noshing brains.

And once you get to Atlanta I find it ridiculous that anyone wouldn't be able to in some way detect the presence of a large group of lifeforms (undeathforms?) so close by. And this series indicates zombies are attracted to noise, i.e. the clippity clop of Mr. Ed as he obliviously marches his master into a parade of zombies. Let's not forget that this horse spooked easily, so you'd better believe he'd be neighing at the first sign of trouble.

I didn't want to mention this so early in the series, but what's up with Andrew Lincoln's acting? Sure, he's mastered the accent but he is inconsistent so far. That scene of him "breaking down" in his house? Comical. I wasn't expecting raw emotion, but at least make my soul do a slight heel-tap. His cop buddy (and I will say that I'm looking forward to seeing where this infidelity/I left my husband for dead in the hospital angle goes) is much better.

Maybe I'm quibbling. Or maybe I'm just worried that the opportunity to create the single greatest zombie experience of all time is riddled with lackluster lesions.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:22 pm
Dream Inspired

...or maybe you're just a spoilsport who likes to overanalyze zombie shows?

:)
i liked it!!!!
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:32 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

Very solid first episode.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:26 pm
MYOWNCLICHE

well I'm hooked.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:08 pm
bbreakz

Its a zombie show, characters don't need to do things that makes sense. But I think Captiv8 is right on some points, but those things don't bother me.

I kind of liked the hatch under the tank. Almost a wink or nod to older zombie movies.

I think as long as they bring it with well placed gore/violence then things like strolling through the park and walking past a potential ankle bite is forgivable.

The make up is great. I am sure the story will grow. Im in for now.

Eating the horse was different. Never seen zombies interested in animals.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:21 pm
PoetryBox

bbreakz wrote:

Ohh i forgot about that, when that happened i was like "noooo not the fuckin horse!!! they never eat horse!!"
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:28 pm
Alan Hague

I was also baffled by the horse. My girlfriend and I debated whether or not zombies ate animals, in anticipation of what would happen to the horse once the zombie swarm got near it.

I argued that they wouldn't eat it and they don't eat animals generally, based on how the dog in the 2005 version of "Dawn of the Dead" didn't get eaten despite running through the midst of thousands of zombies. But my girlfriend said that it didn't matter; zombies were flesh-eaters, so why wouldn't they eat the horse, seeing as how it's made out of flesh?

And then they ate the fucking horse.

But yeah, I enjoyed this. I'll have to try to catch it every week now.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:52 pm
futuristxen

I thought getting the horse was smart because horses don't use gas. So long as you're not trying to ride the horse through a crowd of zombies you should be set.

I thought the best scene in the first episode was either the one in the park with the crawling zombie, or the one with the guy having to shoot his wife so she would stop coming at night and terrorizing his son.

It's too bad they couldn't have got Josh Brolin or Timothy Olyphant for the Sheriff character. Timothy Olyphant is my go to for contemporary american sheriff.

To that end...Timothy Olyphant on The Office this year is weird.

Oh TV.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:54 pm
The Count

bbreakz wrote:

this is the one part that bugged me. If zombies eat animals then they are just hungry carnivores. Do they eat the rabbits and squirrles they find in the park?
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:35 am
Brynjar

horse meat is tasty and gooooood
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:38 am
selfworth

The Count wrote:
bbreakz wrote:

this is the one part that bugged me. If zombies eat animals then they are just hungry carnivores. Do they eat the rabbits and squirrles they find in the park?

i would imagine that they would eat anything they could catch and those slow ass bitches aren't catching any squirrels or rabbits
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:20 am
bbreakz

Actually I forgot about the dog scene in the original Night of the Living Dead. But it is something you don't see a lot of.

Sort of Thread Jack. I saw the German Zombie flick "Dead Snow" this weekend. That was a fun corny one.
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:00 am
ROTTY

Can someone please replace the title of the thread to the The Walking Dead (TV show). I have a feeling that the episodes to come will generate a lot of talk!

Also, i think people should stop questioning the logic of zombies....They are driven by hunger & have the most basic of motor skills. End of.

Forget the Zombies for this one. Sure they are the fuel that drives the mechanic but where the real beauty of this series (at least the comic books) is the break down of society, morality & perception.
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:16 am
Captiv8

bbreakz wrote:
Actually I forgot about the dog scene in the original Night of the Living Dead. But it is something you don't see a lot of.

Sort of Thread Jack. I saw the German Zombie flick "Dead Snow" this weekend. That was a fun corny one.

Dead Snow is actually Norwegian, though the thrust of the plot are a group of escaped Nazis. A pretty excellent film visually, and one that strays away from the typical zombie formula. How great is the scene where the dude gets his head ripped in half? Great gore in that one.

With gore in mind, I'm sad to see Walking Dead on AMC when it clearly needed to be on HBO or Showtime so it had less to worry about with censors. It's not a zombie apocalypse if somebody is saying "fuck" on a regular basis. And the gore is probably toned down, much to my dismay. I will say that opening the show with the shooting of a child was a ballsy move, but ultimately a good clincher.
Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:19 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next