Search
Register
THE Walking Dead Thread! On AMC No Less!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

ROTTY

Season 2 has been confirmed consisting of 13 episodes.
Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:40 am
sloe t
self-worthlessness

i can't be the only one who watched this.

holy shit. this could maybe be the best thing ever.
Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:51 pm
bbreakz

Oh it was awesome. Head shot in the first two minutes. It ruled.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:04 am
Elorza

Seems utterly ridiculous, but after Mad Men and Breaking Bad, I'll take it. maybe. lemme watch it.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:10 am
futuristxen

Good start. Very enjoyable. And the story lends itself to a long TV run.

Rubicon is the best new show on AMC though. Wow. I hope they bring that show back. I'm addicted to it.

Great network.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:04 am
selfworth

i enjoyed it. it's something that the topic zombies needed. it strays away from the gore and the "lets find a cure" type plots. zombies needed something that could go more in depth and not be completely about just the zombies.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:34 am
X the Outsider

That was an incredible show. And the headshot at the beginning was a plus.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:19 am
ROTTY

It was nice. It did not deviate from the comic much which was a good sign.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:30 am
Captiv8

Conceptually speaking, this graphic novel has the depth and imagery to translate into something awesome. But in terms of execution this show was massively disappointing to me last night.

- No one in their right mind during the zombie apocalypse runs around shooting zombies indiscriminately. It's about survival, not kill counts. Meanwhile the main dude takes a stroll through a totally empty park to needlessly execute a zombie. No. Fucking. Way. Showing compassion for these mindless rotbags will get your neck chomped.
- If you are going to run around killing zombies you certainly don't do so with a goddamn phallic revolver. I realize this is probably an iconic thing from the graphic novels, but Christ on crutches is that some dumb shit. The most obviously problem is that you only have six rounds, meaning that, short of being Annie Oakley, you are only taking that number of zombies out. And the noise a revolver makes? It's like a funneled blast of dynamite.
- Why are the roads totally devoid of zombies? My man walked on foot toting a bag of guns after his car ran out of gas and there was apparently nary a zombie to be found. But there IS a giddy horse to John Wayne Atlanta with.
- There is no conceivable way you are suddenly surprised by a clusterfuck of zombies in broad daylight at an intersection. You would hear those noisy bastards' snarls and groans echoing off the skyscrapers a few blocks away. You would certainly see a few stragglers shuffling along as well. They're not Klingons.
- Oh weird, I'm about to blow my brain away while I'm trapped under this tank but DEAR ME somebody has left the hatch open!

I know some folks are going to be like "But the graphic novel does ______ " and "It's a zombie show dude; chillax." No. I take this shit seriously. The next episode had better shape up. What the fuck is Frank Darabont doing? Hire me as a creative consult and I'll turn the Walking Dead into an epic that makes everyone involved in Mad Men feel like failures.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:44 am
The Count

I fully enjoyed this last night. I can tell this will be more about the characters and humanity than about zombies like all good sci-fi is.

I plan on a full rebuttal of most of Captiv8's points when i have less work to do.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:54 am
selfworth

as far as hearing the zombies, it seemed as if they only made noises (grunts/snarling) when it was "bite some dude up" time, so there is that. as far as the other stuff, the story is going as if the idea of a zombie isn't something that is in their world, so knowing exactly what to do isn't put out there like a survival guide, and those were the weapons he had on hand, it's pretty much use what you have and between using a revolver or a shotgun or rifle, i'd have a revolver in hand not some big ass rifle.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:03 am
PoetryBox

Caught this show bought a week ago, its been online for awhile now I think. For the first episode I thought it was well done but not the most awesome show ever. Ive always been a fan of zombie flicks and the good ones are too far-in-between. This show does have potential tho to being a great series but the first episode felt too "been-there seen-that" and I'm not talking bout the opening. Ive never read the comics its based on but Ive always heard good things about it. Hopfully the show turns out awesome.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:29 am
Mikal kHill

Yeah, the world of Walking Dead zombies seems much closer to the world of WWZ zombies. They don't make a lot of noise, you aren't going to hear them until they spot prey, that part isn't hard to believe.

Not really going to refute all of Captiv8's points because it sounds like he had his mind made up to start with. Xalgud. This prolly is not going to be something you like. No biggie.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:32 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Captiv8 wrote:

- No one in their right mind during the zombie apocalypse runs around shooting zombies indiscriminately. It's about survival, not kill counts. Meanwhile the main dude takes a stroll through a totally empty park to needlessly execute a zombie. No. Fucking. Way. Showing compassion for these mindless rotbags will get your neck chomped.

The disassociation, I imagine, comes a little later. In the meantime, it would be hard not to think of them as people. One thing about people in zombie fiction; they've never heard of zombies! In vampire stories, there's usually the part where the guy tells the girl "I'm a vampire" and the girl's like "holy shit! vampires are real?!" They never have that in zombie movies. You or I would have woken up in the hospital and saw the "dead inside" signage, then that person in the park like "oh shit! the zombie apocalypse has started!" but these people have never heard of zombies. They never saw Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, nothing! Give them some time to understand what we've known about zombies our whole lives (i.e. how to best kill them and to not treat them like anything like human).

Quote:

- If you are going to run around killing zombies you certainly don't do so with a goddamn phallic revolver. I realize this is probably an iconic thing from the graphic novels, but Christ on crutches is that some dumb shit. The most obviously problem is that you only have six rounds, meaning that, short of being Annie Oakley, you are only taking that number of zombies out. And the noise a revolver makes? It's like a funneled blast of dynamite.

Agreed. But that's not his only gun.

Quote:

- Why are the roads totally devoid of zombies? My man walked on foot toting a bag of guns after his car ran out of gas and there was apparently nary a zombie to be found. But there IS a giddy horse to John Wayne Atlanta with.

Zombies in this world seem to prefer cities. They seem to be Romero-like zombies that prefer high population densities and move in patterns close those that the moved when alive but, like kHill said, they're also like World War Z zombies in that they don't make a lot of moaning sounds. If there are few zombies on the road, that's probably because most of the zombies are in cities and are traveling to food sources.

Quote:

- There is no conceivable way you are suddenly surprised by a clusterfuck of zombies in broad daylight at an intersection. You would hear those noisy bastards' snarls and groans echoing off the skyscrapers a few blocks away. You would certainly see a few stragglers shuffling along as well. They're not Klingons.

He knew there were some there but he probably thought they were around in similar numbers as the previous block. Again, he'd never seen a zombie movie before. Me I'd know that they were probably in large clusters.

Quote:

- Oh weird, I'm about to blow my brain away while I'm trapped under this tank but DEAR ME somebody has left the hatch open!

Serendipity. It happens. Especially in fiction things.

I was annoyed that the clock was stopped in his hospital room. Like really, clock batteries last a while. I thought "well someone might have taken the batteries" but they wouldn't have rehung the clock afterwards. That was my only major problem with the show, which was fucking excellent.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:32 am
Dream Inspired

I liked it.
Was this written by the same people that did WWZ?
Regardless...
I'm looking forward to more.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:27 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next