Art & Pictures Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

z-spot22

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:04 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

nice work Z, do you have all the wall space filled yet?

----------------------------------------

heres a digi Mike sketch

Photobucket
Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:52 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

It literally took me a full minute to make sense of this photo.

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:07 pm
anomaly
Loserface

it took me about 45 seconds just to figure out that thumb on the drink is not really a penis on that girl. I do believe she's wearing pants too.
Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:33 pm
corporateslave

I've been busy lately.

I finished my masters last year and moved to Massachusetts in September, and since the move have put a lot of effort into getting back to making some new work.

First I started on these things. I have about 50-60 pieces of paper with this brick and chain link pattern on it left from an installation I did a few years ago. I started freestyling different designs and messages involving iproducts on top of them just to get warmed back up to working on things. There is a conceptual basis for the images and messages, but I wasn't trying to push that aspect too hard.

I wanted a new Doomtree shirt but I didn't really like any of the ones in their store, so I made my own.

I spent a while cutting a stencil that is a composite of some building photographs that I've taken

And then I also sprayed that stencil onto some of the brick pattern paper. These are all currently arranged on 3 30"x40" boards as a wallpaper background and I'm going to keep working on top of them when I get back to it.

I made this piece, a mix of gouache, acrylic, pencil, and ink. I like it a lot and I've got a few more canvases prepped to do some similar pieces.

But right now my main focus is this series of animal stencil pieces. They're designed to be inexpensive by being small (about 10"x10") and reproducible. I'm hoping to get a small line of designs going and find some different outlets to sell them through. I'm also doing some apparel design right now for a buddy of mine so that is preventing me from busting these out at maximum speed, but they'll get there.

This was my submission for the cover of Mac Lethal's last album. Didn't get picked though.

And a guy I know mentioned he wished he had a maggot brain t-shirt. Poof!

OK, see yall in a year or so when I got a new batch of goodies
Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:23 pm
Captiv8

Nice work, corporateslave. I always assumed you had a job in an office.
Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:26 pm
JohnSchwan

Corporate slave hit me up via email if you wouldn't mind. Ryan(dot)Johnson 1189 at gmail(dot)com
Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:11 pm
corporateslave

I wish I had an office job! Well, I guess I kind of used to. I worked at Marriott for a while, but been bouncing around between cook gigs and schooling since then. I've always done art outside of work though.

John Schwan - I'm emailing now
Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:18 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

great stuff corporateslave

i dig the color schemes

love the animal pieces alot

could you possibly explain about the ipod/iphone theme?

my only criticism would be the mac lethal cover, everything is great on that except that dudes arm/hand, it should be slightly larger since its coming at you, and at least a little indication of a forearm, even if you just draw a circle behind the hand and shade it a bit it would be able to pull it off, right now it reminds me of the weird dude from scary movie 2, and its right in the center of the picture, all eyes go right to it, everything else is fantastic though
Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:27 pm
corporateslave

Neuro wrote:
great stuff corporateslave

i dig the color schemes

love the animal pieces alot

could you possibly explain about the ipod/iphone theme?

my only criticism would be the mac lethal cover, everything is great on that except that dudes arm/hand, it should be slightly larger since its coming at you, and at least a little indication of a forearm, even if you just draw a circle behind the hand and shade it a bit it would be able to pull it off, right now it reminds me of the weird dude from scary movie 2, and its right in the center of the picture, all eyes go right to it, everything else is fantastic though

Yeah, the hand and arm on that guy could have been fine tuned a little bit more, but it was done in basically one shot because we had only three days to submit images, and the actual drawing is about half that size, so it stands out a little more in the large scale size.

The ipod/iphone pieces are about constructing an environment for ourselves in the digital space. The patterned pieces of paper were from an installation a few years ago that was about how we construct an environment for ourselves to live in that is contrary to the natural world (in the sense that we strive to create permanence and stability in a world where that doesn't occur naturally). The brick and chain link pattern was a symbol for that physical human effort. So when I was deciding what to draw on top of that I started thinking about how the frontier of our environment building has shifted into the digital world, and started sketching out various takes on the topic.

I try to use the imagery very casually because these items have become so quickly ingrained in our lives. They are everyday objects now and not the futuristic harbingers that they once were in art. Each piece deals with a different aspect of the topic. Some are more literal than others. I plan on doing a lot of them and there's a lot that could be said about each piece or the series as a whole because they're based on daydreaming about some big ideas, but overall they're an exercise in taking many different visual approaches in dealing with the same topic.
Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:24 pm
Captiv8

I missed the wolf somehow the first time I scanned through your work. That looks really sharp. Also, I think the Doomtree shirt is nice but would like better as white print on a black shirt. At any rate, have you considered seeing if Doomtree would use the shirt design? That would be terrific.
Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:32 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Hey.. I was just going thru Etsy and found this...

http://www.etsy.com/people/mattkuhlman?ref=pr_profile

Small world....
Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:09 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

your animal stencils would make awesome throw pillows. you should probably make some...
Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:21 pm
corporateslave

zagadka wrote:
your animal stencils would make awesome throw pillows. you should probably make some...

I'll license the design to you if you want to make pillows or other merch. I already have too many projects and too little time. But I did just quit my job, so maybe that will change. We'll see what happens.
Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:55 pm
z-spot22

5 recent paintings......

new website finally....
http://hundredbilliontrillion.weebly.com

i miss this place.... :(
Post Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:30 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 42, 43, 44  Next