View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

One

Espana
Post Mon May 10, 2010 2:34 pm
patiodee

Woland wrote:
patiodee wrote:
When is an African team going to make a semi-final? We have to break this European/Latin American dominance of the World Cup.

South Korea did that eight years ago. I don't see any African team doing it this year. I'd like to see Ghana go far, but that probably won't happen.

Woops. Let me redact that:

When is a non-European/Latin American team going to get to the semi-final legitimately?
Post Mon May 10, 2010 3:20 pm
Brynjar

patiodee wrote:
Woland wrote:
patiodee wrote:
When is an African team going to make a semi-final? We have to break this European/Latin American dominance of the World Cup.

South Korea did that eight years ago. I don't see any African team doing it this year. I'd like to see Ghana go far, but that probably won't happen.

Woops. Let me redact that:

When is a non-European/Latin American team going to get to the semi-final legitimately?

BOOM!
Post Mon May 10, 2010 6:02 pm
Woland

I don't know how someone could say Italia didn't play boring football last time. I was angry when they beat Australia. They'll do it this time, too. Watch as they defend with 11 men, 10 in the last quarter of the field. But that's the Italian style, some like it. I don't.

icarus502 wrote:
I think Nigeria and Cote d'Ivoire both have good shots this time, with the seeding. I'm especially looking at the Cote d'Ivoire squad to turn some heads.

Both of them sucked in the African Nations Cup, but maybe they'll surprise me in the World Cup. I'd like to see that for sure. Ghana was the best in the Nations Cup, even without Essien and Muntari. Their group does seem a bit difficult though.

Quote:

Yeah, I'm not saying there weren't some pretty awful referee decisions that time.
Post Tue May 11, 2010 1:34 am
The Count

US prelim roster just came out. Not too many surprises. I think most of the cuts are pretty obvious. Kljestan and Beasley arn't going. One of the Clark/Edu/Feilhaber/ trio is staying home.

Either Torres or Rogers is going to make the trip, probably torres.

Bradley loves Ching so he's probably a lock (though I think he's coming off an injury). That would leave two spots for the Buddle/Gomez/Johnson/Finley group. I would bet on johnson and finley staying behind.

I really hope that Bornstein stays home. Either Pearce or DeMerit, not both.

Marshall is going to play a big role on this team. If he can get back to the form he had 8 months ago then he'll probably start next to onyewu, putting boca out left. If not we have to put spector out there and have bocanegra play Center back.

I feel bad that Davies was left off the roster, but I think it was the right decision. He is just now healthy enough to rejoin the team. I'd rather take a less-talented guy like Gomez or Buddle who are on fire than Charlie after a month of full-speed training.

Whoever is managing Brazil has some giant balls. Didn't even bother with the prelim 30 man roster and then leaves Ronaldinho, Adriano, and Pato off.
Post Tue May 11, 2010 1:28 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

The Count wrote:
US prelim roster just came out. Not too many surprises. I think most of the cuts are pretty obvious. Kljestan and Beasley arn't going. One of the Clark/Edu/Feilhaber/ trio is staying home.

Either Torres or Rogers is going to make the trip, probably torres.

Bradley loves Ching so he's probably a lock (though I think he's coming off an injury). That would leave two spots for the Buddle/Gomez/Johnson/Finley group. I would bet on johnson and finley staying behind.

I really hope that Bornstein stays home. Either Pearce or DeMerit, not both.

Marshall is going to play a big role on this team. If he can get back to the form he had 8 months ago then he'll probably start next to onyewu, putting boca out left. If not we have to put spector out there and have bocanegra play Center back.

I feel bad that Davies was left off the roster, but I think it was the right decision. He is just now healthy enough to rejoin the team. I'd rather take a less-talented guy like Gomez or Buddle who are on fire than Charlie after a month of full-speed training.

Whoever is managing Brazil has some giant balls. Didn't even bother with the prelim 30 man roster and then leaves Ronaldinho, Adriano, and Pato off.

Wow.
Post Tue May 11, 2010 4:49 pm
leg.donor

The Count wrote:

Dunga is underrated.

I think this Brazil team playing intelligent football rather than joga bonito are the best team in the world.
Post Tue May 11, 2010 5:36 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leg.donor

Brynjar wrote:
Woland wrote:
Italy was SO DAMN BORING in the last World Cup that I hope they'll be kicked out early. But that just doesn't seem to happen.

SMH

did you not see italy vs germany? that was the game of the tournament and one of the greatest world cup games of all time.
Post Tue May 11, 2010 8:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Woland

I saw it, yes, but can't honestly remember that much. I might've been drunk or something though.
Post Wed May 12, 2010 12:13 am
leg.donor

god.. as irritating as lippis team selection is, i just can't believe what maradonna and domenech are doing. more baffling then domenech's team selection is how he has kept his job for so long.
Post Thu May 13, 2010 8:52 pm
futuristxen

You can understand him leaving Dinho and Pato off. Pato's been injured too much and may still be injured. Dinho I feel bad he missed out on this world cup, but that's what happens when you take a few years off in your career.

I think it's hysterical that Benzema didn't make the cut for France. Smart move going to Real Madrid in a world cup year, ya mope. He has to be incredibly frustrated now with his situation.
Post Thu May 13, 2010 10:37 pm
patiodee

Do people still love Argentina even though they haven't included Zanetti, Cambiasso or Milito? At this rate, will Messi even start?
Post Sun May 16, 2010 11:51 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

patiodee wrote:
Do people still love Argentina even though they haven't included Zanetti, Cambiasso or Milito? At this rate, will Messi even start?

I didn't realize this! How could they leave off Cambiasso and Milito???
Post Sun May 16, 2010 11:53 am
patiodee

icarus502 wrote:
patiodee wrote:

Anytime you can leave off three starters from a team in the Champions League final that just won Serie A, you do it. Apparently.
Post Sun May 16, 2010 9:43 pm
badjerk

patiodee wrote:
icarus502 wrote:
patiodee wrote:

Anytime you can leave off three starters from a team in the Champions League final that just won Serie A, you do it. Apparently.

This had me all confused, so I had to check to see what was going on. Just to be clear, Diego Milito from Inter is on the roster, but his brother Gabriel Milito from Barcelona has been left off. Crazy about the other two though.

CANT WAIT til this shit gets started.................
Post Mon May 17, 2010 12:15 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 50, 51, 52  Next