Search
Register
By The Time I Get To Arizona
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Jared Paul

By The Time I Get To Arizona  Reply with quote  

Good ole' Arizona Governors! They never disappoint.

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/26/headlines
"Arizona Governor Signs Immigrant Crackdown Bill

Immigrant rights groups are calling for federal intervention to counter a newly enacted measure in Arizona that forces police officers to determine the immigration status of someone they suspect of being an undocumented immigrant. Republican Governor Jan Brewer signed the bill on Friday following its approval in the state legislature earlier in the week. Opponents call it the harshest anti-immigrant measure in the country and a license for racial profiling. Shortly after adding her signature, Brewer says she thinks the measure “is what’s best for Arizona.”

Gov. Jan Brewer: “I have decided to sign Senate Bill 1070 into law because, though many people disagree, I firmly believe it represents what’s best for Arizona.”

As Brewer spoke, thousands of protesters rallied outside the State Capitol. Democratic Congress member Raul Grijalva urged federal non-cooperation with the new law.

Rep. Raul Grijalva: “We have insisted on non-cooperation with this state law by the federal government. Immigration is a federal law. It has supremacy. And if our federal government tells the state of Arizona, ‘You can have the law, we are not detaining, we are not processing, we are not accessing your law,’ then it is moot. And I think that is the next step, is the non-cooperation.”

Another major protest was held on Sunday with thousands of people in attendance. At the White House, President Obama denounced the bill and suggested the federal government could intervene."

Last edited by Jared Paul on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:44 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jared Paul

www.nnirr.org/news/index.php?op=read&id=457

"Massive ICE sweep terrorizes Arizona communities following state passage of anti-immigrant profiling law"

(Oakland, CA) More than 800 federal, state and local agents descended April 15 on four Arizona communities - Nogales, Rio Rico, Tucson and Phoenix -- in one of the largest dragnet immigration enforcement operations conducted by the Obama Administration. Isabel Garcia of the Tucson-based Coalición de Derechos Humanossaid, "Instead of bringing in the Department of Justice to investigate the immigration abuses and uphold our rights, the Obama Administration sics the ICE police on our communities."

The sweep, described by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) as "targeting human smuggling networks," sent shockwaves across the Grand Canyon State, paralyzing residents with fear and panic.

ICE's massive raid bolstered the anti-immigrant climate that rules the state. It came on the heels of the passage of SB1070 in the Arizona legislature; the bill requires local law enforcement officers who have a "reasonable suspicion" that someone is in the state without documents to determine that person's immigration status. Arizona police will be able to subject any person to an immigration status check, even without that person having possibly violated any laws. The bill also allows citizens to sue a city, town, or county if they believe a law enforcement agency is failing to enforce this law. The governor of Arizona is expected to sign the drastic measure that would exacerbate racial profiling.

Arizona lawmakers, county and local police and other public officials and vigilante hate groups have been subjecting migrants and communities of color to a state of siege and terror for several years as a result of extreme measures aimed at curtailing migration. Human rights groups have countered these attacks and have demanded federal investigations over civil rights violations.

The latest ICE sweep led to the arrest of 47 people named in criminal indictments, including 17 individuals put under administrative arrest during the ICE mayhem.

Kat Rodriguez of Derechos Humanosdescribed ICE's chaos, "There was a massive show of force, with helicopters, dozens of agents, police vehicles, and weapons, assaulting our community in a fashion never seen before." She continued, "This raid marks a new low in the Obama Administration's lack of accountability."

Christian Ramirez of the American Friends Service Committeesaid, "The enforcement operations yesterday in Arizona were explained by ICE as a crackdown against the leaders of the shuttle-service industry transporting undocumented immigrants. They said this was to address the 'root of the problem.' However, entire communities were terrified by the war-type operations they suffered in their neighborhoods." He added, "If the Administration is serious about getting to the root of the immigration dilemma, Obama should change U.S. trade policies."

Community to Obama: Stop Raids, Investigate Abuses

Derechos Humanos and others are calling on the Obama Administration to suspend all ICE immigration operations and immigration-police collaboration and to investigate the abuses. Local authorities in Maricopa County, emboldened by misguided federal immigration powers, have increasingly come under fire by human rights groups over civil rights violations, resulting in numerous federal investigations.

A slew of Arizona state laws have criminalized immigrants and gutted the civil rights of Latinos and other communities of color - and anyone who passes as "immigrant." The laws complement federal border control strategies that forcibly funnel migrants through Arizona's most desolate and dangerous regions in order to cross into the U.S. As a result, U.S. border control is responsible every year for the death or disappearance of hundreds of migrants in the deserts and mountains of California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

Ironically, the latest raid took place within days of a key deadline for the return of Census forms; the National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights (NNIRR) and over 200 groups across the country had urged Obama and the Department of Homeland Security to suspend such enforcement actions to support greater immigrant participation in Census 2010.

The human rights groups are also urging the President to actively support not just any comprehensive immigration reform, but one driven by human rights, not enforcement.

A few weeks ago, an immigration framework led by Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and supported by the White House, promised a "tough but fair" immigration overhaul.

"Sadly the immigration framework that policy makers have proposed in Washington offers more of the same failed policies that undermine civil rights, separate families and terrorize communities", said Ramirez. "Arizona cannot become a template for immigration reform. The President has the power to end the human rights nightmare that has haunted immigrant communities for over a decade. President Obama must end the raids now."

"President Obama should be concerned with the human rights consequences of these 'tough and fair' policies," said Catherine Tactaquin, NNIRR Executive Director. "What we need in immigration reform and legalization are full constitutional rights and protections for all persons, regardless of their immigration or citizenship status. We can't be promising to bring people out of the shadows when enforcement policies are striking fear in communities and separating families. President Obama should be investigating the abuses, not adding to them."

For more updates and information visit:
http://www.nnirr.org/"
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
adic

Hey Jared, off topic, but when you post embeded videos, can you remove all extra text?

example: <object><param></param><param></param><param></param>

remove that part...

It screws up the page and I have to keep scrolling left and right to read the rest of the page, and makes me not want to even bother.. It happened in the SFR roster thread as well... and happens when I post embeds too, so I make sure to remove the text

On topic, that bill is some bullshit...
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:51 pm
Jared Paul

Thanks man. I need a lesson. How do I tell what is unneeded extra text?

*PE is so fucking dope.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:07 pm
Jared Paul

There. Better?
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:16 pm
adic

Ahh... much better... now edit your post in the SFR roster thread too : )

I'm no expert, from what I can tell if it shows up in the post it's not needed... perhaps someone on the SFR team can clarify this in the "rules to join the forum post" on the front page, it drives me crazy when the page expands... and I know there are others doing this not knowing any better...

And yeah, PE is certified dopeness...
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:21 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I saw this video the one and only time it was played on MTV before it was banned.

PE will forever rule the hiphop kingdom. They were the absolute pinnacle.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 pm
FuseONE

Surely, some kind of large protest is in the works somewhere about this, no?
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:40 pm
Jared Paul

FuseONE wrote:
Surely, some kind of large protest is in the works somewhere about this, no?

There was a big one on Sunday. And the Resistance is planning, but a whole shitload of people are in detention centers, many deported to places where they have no family, and some were deported whose only language is English. It's shameful.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:49 pm
Jack

pure bullshit. Seriously, how the fuck did this get passed
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:15 pm
Mikal kHill

My favorite PE song. I always thought the bassline was a Zappa sample. I was fucking WRONG. We worked out a cover of it with the band, never performed it live... Maybe we can break that out at the show in August? ha
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:19 pm
Confidential

This is a big slap to us brown folk, but not totally surprising.
You can change your facebook profile in solidarity with one of these nifty pieces
http://altoarizona.com/artcampaign.html

I know direct action folks that up and left for Arizona. I know policy folks who have basically been spinning wheels for the last 8 years and things don't look much better with the administration, although high profile worksite raids which are highly unpopular have been cut, the deportations, detentions (many in private Haliburton facilities) have not slowed.

It's been difficult these last years even to have a conversation with white folks about this, because the discourse and polcies which we see as clearly racist, have been legitimized as valid options in the broader polity. But since the passing of SB1070, I have talked to white folks who are down to struggle.

Jared it means a lot that you are throwing in on this. For a radical Chicano like me, I'm like "fuck the American dream," but I know so many peeps that just want a dignified life and to provide for their family here. Most of them come from indigenous regions in Mexico where NAFTA has totally disrupted any opportunity they had to provide at home.

I could go on about this and how the drug war plays into the whole thing.

But I especially feel for the Tohono O'dham nation in AZ. Their traditional trade routes cross the US Mexico border. There are people from the same clans and families on both sides. Both the UN and OAS declaration on the rights of indigenous people guarantee freedom of movement and the right to practice their ways on culturally inherited territory. Guess what country ain't signed on yet?
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:22 pm
Jared Paul

Mikal kHill wrote:
My favorite PE song. I always thought the bassline was a Zappa sample. I was fucking WRONG. We worked out a cover of it with the band, never performed it live... Maybe we can break that out at the show in August? ha

Wow! That takes fortitude! A PE COVER?! I'm definitely down man. You got the vitriol to pull it off. We'll see!

*Adic, I fixed the shit in the other thread...
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:23 pm
jehu

Sage Francis wrote:
I saw this video the one and only time it was played on MTV before it was banned.

PE will forever rule the hiphop kingdom. They were the absolute pinnacle.

same here. and i agree. also, this video is bananas.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:23 pm
futuristxen

Surely this won't stand up consitutionally. I would assume the arizona police could use this to target all non-whites.

Was I correct in hearing that you need a birth certificate as well as your driver's license?

Also you can sue the police for not enforcing things, so that encourages people to spy on their neighbors for their own gain. It's really an incredible piece of legislation.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:15 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next