Search
Register
Gulf of Mexico Oil Leak (British Petroleum)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

albeeyap2

redball wrote:
Ships from around the world are coming and participating in the clean up operations. It's a misnomer to say that they aren't. What ships are on the ready to participate that have been denied, and why? The international help that's been rejected thus far has legit reasons. For someone so smart you'd think he would know a thing or two about logistics.

http://www.factcheck.org/2010/06/oil-spill-foreign-help-and-the-jones-act/

He talks about the leak rate but offers no alternative. What's the alternative? Open the cap fully? Word out is that this was a test and that they will either uncap the well or leave it "partially capped" [which means they'll use some of the other pipes going to the structure to relieve pressure by pumping oil to the surface and collecting it]. He mentions nothing of the plan to uncap the well. He does mention the partial capping solution, but says it's not enough and offers no hard numbers and no indication that the engineers haven't taken this into account.

interesting. I see it as an analogy as if the pipes were a bank and this bank exploded in the middle of the city. Now everyone is trying to scramble for the money that's scattered in the street. Who would ever thought?
Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:05 pm
redball

I don't think the skimmers are trying to steal the oil to refine it, if that's what you're trying to say. If they were really doing that they wouldn't be asking for permission. At the very least, if they were able to profit off the oil they clean from the surface of the ocean then one would think they would ask for more reasonable amounts of money.

Man, I'm a pessimist but the jaded outlooks around here are just beyond the depressing. Here we finally have signs of progress and rather than be happy or hopeful you're willfully clinging to whatever negativism you can find in the situation. As if we don't have enough to worry about.
Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:30 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

i posted the article about the cap because i was trying to have hope that the oil spill is getting resolved.

i know most of you are with me on hope ...? i hope you are, if not, i hope you change your mind.
Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:39 pm
firefly

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:00 am
albeeyap2

$ resources vs hope..

don't know how legit this:

"It's true that he (Obama) doesn't accept contributions from individuals who are registered to lobby the federal government. But he does take money from their spouses and from other individuals at firms where lobbyists work."

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/obamas_oil_spill.html
Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:25 am
redball

This is what I think about when I think of the search for ever worse news in this scenario:

Post Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:31 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

How exactly does one use incompetence as an action verb. Does it go like:

"The Al Queda incompetented the oil rig."

Doesn't sound very catchy if you're trying to get your name out there among the big terrorists. Nahmean?

(redball is keeping this thread sane)
Post Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:11 pm
jakethesnake

P.S. Obama has done like 90% of the shit he said he was going to do. The problem is that people were too fucking caught up in the rush to even bother to look at his platform. I respect him more as a man of his word every day.

He isn't doing exactly what I would like him to do in a perfect world, but he sure as fuck is doing what he said he was going to in most cases.
Post Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:13 pm
firefly

jakethesnake wrote:
How exactly does one use incompetence as an action verb.

"The government used incompetence as an excuse for their corrupt activities." I think that was pretty obvious that that was what I meant but I figured I'd point it out anyway.

Redball's video is quite ironic as it also works the other way. Most people's brains reject seeing certain patterns if it goes against their beliefs and their mental identity of themselves.

The fact that people are getting their panties in a bunch over Obama and using stupid buzz words like "terrorists" shows that they are identifying too much with sides and beliefs.

You really think Obama did a good job at protecting the nation with this spill? You really think that letting BP handle everything was a good idea? I don't think you're in a position of telling people who's sane and who isn't.

P.S. it's regurgitated lines like this that show how people aren't thinking for themselves regarding Obama's Presidency. As if it goes against their beliefs and desire of Obama being a good President.

Quote:

P.S. Obama has done like 90% of the shit he said he was going to do.

I wanted him to be a good guy too. But you can't base your beliefs around what you WANT to be true.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:30 am
redball

I'm not the one that evoked Obama. Dude doesn't own the word "hope" and the context I used it in had nothing to do with him.

While I will say that the administration followed precedent, I can't and won't say that I'm particularly happy with the response. I do believe that after a few weeks the administration should have used the powers granted it after the Exxon Valdez incident to take over operations and direct the absolutely indispensable (due to the existing response infrastructure) private sector response.

But that's not what I'm addressing. I'm addressing the desire to believe in shit like the conspiracy that somehow Obama is helping BP hide shit because he took a couple hundred thousand in contributions from the industry (which is still far less than the other guy). Or that BP and the administration are hiding the pending natural gas fueled apocalypse. Or basically anything that hedges bets to the worse for seemingly no reason beyond wanting to believe that everything is terrible.

And in response to your critique of the video, I offer this:

Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:42 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

my hope had none to do w/ the pres.
i hope the oil spill gets cleaned up.

who wouldn't hope for that?
the opposite of hope is no good.
despair, lose all hope?

who wants to despair, not me.
obama doesn't own that either.

hope is the thing with feathers.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:21 am
albeeyap2

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100719/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill

NEW ORLEANS – The federal government Monday allowed BP to keep the cap shut tight on its busted Gulf of Mexico oil well for another day despite a seep in the sea floor after the company promised to watch closely for signs of new leaks underground.

The Obama administration's point man for the spill, retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, said early Monday that government scientists had gotten the answers they wanted about how BP is monitoring the seabed around the mile-deep well, which has stopped gushing oil into the water since the experimental cap was closed Thursday.

Late Sunday, Allen said a seep was detected near the ruptured oil well and demanded in a sharply worded letter that BP step up monitoring of the ocean floor. Allen didn't say what was coming from the seep. White House energy adviser Carol Browner told the CBS "Early Show" the seep was found less than two miles from the well site.

The concern all along — since pressure readings on the cap weren't as high as expected — was a leak elsewhere in the well bore, meaning the cap may have to be reopened to prevent the environmental disaster from becoming even worse and harder to fix. An underground leak could let oil and gas escape uncontrolled through bedrock and mud.

"When seeps are detected, you are directed to marshal resources, quickly investigate, and report findings to the government in no more than four hours. I direct you to provide me a written procedure for opening the choke valve as quickly as possible without damaging the well should hydrocarbon seepage near the well head be confirmed," Allen said in a letter to BP Managing Director Bob Dudley.
When asked about the seep and the monitoring, BP spokesman Mark Salt would only say that "we continue to work very closely with all government scientists on this."
Early Monday, Allen issued a statement saying there had been an overnight conference call between the federal science team and BP.
"During the conversation, the federal science team got the answers they were seeking and the commitment from BP to meet their monitoring and notification obligations," Allen said.

He said BP could continue testing the cap, meaning keeping it shut, only if the company continues to meet their obligations to rigorously monitor for any signs that this test could worsen the overall situation.

Both Allen and BP have said they don't know how long the trial run will continue.
Browner said Allen's extension went until Monday afternoon. She said on ABC's "Good Morning America" that monitoring was crucial to make sure the trapped oil doesn't break out of its pipe.

"Clearly we want this to end. But we don't want to enter into a situation where we have uncontrolled leaks all over the Gulf floor," Browner told ABC.

BP PLC said Monday that the cost of dealing with the oil spill has now reached nearly $4 billion. The company said it has made payments totaling $207 million to settle individual claims for damages from the spill along the southern coast of the United States. To date, almost 116,000 claims have been submitted and more than 67,500 payments have been made, totaling $207 million.

With the newly installed cap keeping oil from BP's fractured well out of the Gulf during a trial run, this weekend offered a chance for the oil company and government to gloat over their shared success — the first real victory in fighting the spill. Instead, the two sides have spent the past two days disagreeing over what to with the undersea machinery holding back the gusher.

The apparent disagreement began to sprout Saturday when Allen said the cap would eventually be hooked up to a mile-long pipe to pump the crude to ships on the surface. But early the next day, BP chief operating officer Doug Suttles said the cap should stay clamped shut to keep in the oil until relief wells are finished.
The government's plan would ease pressure on the fragile well, but would require up to three more days of oil spilling into the Gulf.
But the company very much wants to avoid a repeat of the live underwater video that showed millions of gallons of oil spewing from the blown well for weeks.
"I can see why they're pushing for keeping the cap on and shut in until the relief well is in place," said Daniel Keeney, president of a Dallas-based public relations firm.
The government wants to eliminate any chance of making matters worse, while BP is loath to lose the momentum it gained the moment it finally halted the leak, Keeney said.
"They want to project being on the same team, but they have different end results that benefit each," he said.

But scientists are still concerned about pressure readings that are lower than expected, which could mean a leak elsewhere in the well bore.
It could also mean more oil than expected poured into the Gulf of Mexico since the BP-leased Deepwater Horizon rig exploded April 20, killing 11 people and touching off one of America's worst environment crises.

To plug the well, BP is drilling two relief wells, one of them as a backup. The company said work on the first one was far enough along that officials expect to reach the broken well's casing, or pipes, deep underground by late this month. The subsequent job of jamming the well with mud and cement could take days or a few weeks.

It will take months, or possibly years for the Gulf to recover, though cleanup efforts continued and improvements in the water could be seen in the days since the oil stopped flowing. Somewhere between 94 million and 184 million gallons have spilled into the Gulf, according to government estimates.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:31 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

ok i give up.
the ocean floor is going to explode,
every sea and ocean will fill with oil
mass tsunamis will ensue
it will rain oil

were all gonna fucking die.

it's an illuminati scam to kill the population.
i know because the dollar bill has a pyramid on it
we dont have pyramids in the united states
so why would one be on our bill?

so that means yes
we are all going to die.

after the lizards eat us.
the sea lizards.

then it will end with most of us in a church
well feel ripped off by the series finale
what about the polar bear?
WHAT ABOUT IT?

yep.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:46 am
jakethesnake

firefly wrote:
jakethesnake wrote:
How exactly does one use incompetence as an action verb.

"The government used incompetence as an excuse for their corrupt activities." I think that was pretty obvious that that was what I meant but I figured I'd point it out anyway.

Redball's video is quite ironic as it also works the other way. Most people's brains reject seeing certain patterns if it goes against their beliefs and their mental identity of themselves.

The fact that people are getting their panties in a bunch over Obama and using stupid buzz words like "terrorists" shows that they are identifying too much with sides and beliefs.

You really think Obama did a good job at protecting the nation with this spill? You really think that letting BP handle everything was a good idea? I don't think you're in a position of telling people who's sane and who isn't.

P.S. it's regurgitated lines like this that show how people aren't thinking for themselves regarding Obama's Presidency. As if it goes against their beliefs and desire of Obama being a good President.

Quote:

P.S. Obama has done like 90% of the shit he said he was going to do.

I wanted him to be a good guy too. But you can't base your beliefs around what you WANT to be true.

Where is your proof that the government used this oil spill for it's own corrupt activities? And no, $66,000 dollars donated by an entire industry 3 years ago to a presidency doesn't count as proof.

Do I think that letting BP handle this spill was a good idea? No. But millions of people would cry foul if Obama took control of the situation and sent government agencies to deal with it. It's a no-win situation for everyone, especially Obama, and like redball said, it seems like you and others are just looking for a reason to find something WORSE about a huge disaster, as if there wasn't enough bad things about it as it is.

Sure, we should keep the president in check. We should make sure he's not turning a blind eye for whatever personal reasons. But you actually think he's doing that in this case? You really believe that this guy wants the entire gulf coast covered in oil for some $66,000 combined amount he took during his campaign years ago?

Do you believe that ANYONE wants the gulf covered in oil? Who really hates Louisiana fishermen that much? Do you really have that little faith in humanity?
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:26 am
firefly

Oh boy, looks like I have to address you guys individually.

Redball, I wasn't refering to you when talking about Obama. I just thought that the video you posted (although quite interesting and true) doesn't tell the whole story as I pointed out, people use their beliefs to write things off just as much as they use them to believe in things. The other video you posted is pretty simple. It's clearly addressing the stupid fuck demographic.

CRAZY, no shit Obama doesn't own hope. He actually used "HOPE" and CHANGE" as a smoke and mirrors tactic to make people think that just because he is a black President that he'd be the "hope" and "change" that we need. I posted the picture because I thought it was ironic that the President who ran on "hope" was absolutely fucking useless in this BP disaster. I thought it was funny in a dark sort of way.

Jakethesnake, you are putting words in my mouth. It is in BP's best interest as a private business to a) have a back up plan for these type of situations, which is why I find it hard to believe that they didn't and b) to collect as much of the spilt oil as possible as opposed to blowing up the well which would have stopped the leak but would have "wasted" their product. THIS is what I find fishy about this whole situation (never said anything about no $66,000). The MAJOR delay, the ridiculous tactics and then finally the whole corexit nonense (if you don't know what corexit it you should google that shit. Especially if you live on the coast). You say "Do you believe that ANYONE wants the gulf covered in oil? Who really hates Louisiana fishermen that much? Do you really have that little faith in humanity?" First of all, YES I do have that little faith in humanity. You act like you never heard of the hollocaust, slavery and basically human history in general. And secondly, who will benefit from this disaster? Ever heard of disaster capitalism? Look that shit up. You think that the average politician really gives a shit about humanity??? You fucking kidding me? Wake the fuck up. We just witnissed one of the biggest environmental disasters in history and NOBODY DID SHIT to fix it and you have the nerve to think I'm crazy for thinking something's up? I'm sorry man. BP, the government, they ain't that stupid. Something is definitely up.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:19 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next