Search
Register
The REST of the SFR Roster discussion
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Flossin

The REST of the SFR Roster discussion  Reply with quote  

Okay, so this thread is pretty much about all the SFR artists that don't seem to get much love on the forum. I have a bunch of questions and I'd be glad if at least some of them get answered.

It seems to me that other than Sage, Dolan, Buck65 and recently maybe Curtis Plum not many SFR artists are discussed on this forum. Some of them barely get any publicity on the SFR site (no news of upcoming projects, no updates etc.) and I don't really know much about them except what I read in their bios and I've maybe heard like 3-5 songs from each of them at best. Am I the only one? Which SFR artist is getting slept on the most in your opinion? Are they working on any releases?

From the SFR roster I listen to Sage, Dolan, Sleep (what is he up to nowadays?) and Curtis Plum. I'm not really into instrumental hiphop albums, but I like all the producers on the label for the contributions they made to the SFR releases I bought. I never was much into Buck65 and PFA and I can't get into dan le sac vs Scroobius Pip for the life of me, but that still leaves some SFR artists that I barely know anything about and that don't seem to do much lately.

I don't know much about 2Mex, Prolyphic or Cecil Otter other than the basics. I've heard some random stuff by them here and there and nothing got me hooked so I just left it at that. Please school me about them and tell me why I should give them a decent chance.

Who are your least favorite SFR artists? Which one of the more slept on ones would you like to release something the most? I know it's a shitload of questions but I didn't want to make separate threads for each one and it seemed like a general thread was the best way to get all the answers.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:50 pm
Sarcastro

I only talk about people who talk back. Time to start posting 2Mex (if that is your real name).

In all honesty though I only checked out Dolan's music because I liked his posts so much, turns out he's also really good at making music, so that worked out well.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:57 pm
mattrego

I am really pissed I did not catch Cecil Otter when he was here in RI. I did catch Sleep, and he was great. Also really pissed I missed 2Mex in Woonsocket. I wonder how that show went.

Sleep is quite the spectacle live. Little man with a big stage presence. Very impressed.

I have caught up on the Cecil Otter and 2Mex catalogues and I am highly anticipating both of their SFR releases.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:20 pm
Coffee Black

I'm annoyed I missed Cecil Otter on the east coast. Highly anticipating Poercelain Revolver. Rebel Yellow stilll gets heavy rotation.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:52 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Honestly, all the people you're asking about have had a significant amount of updates and info posted about them here recently. Not just in the past year but in recent months. It's clear that the main artists being talked about at the moment are me and B. Dolan but that's mainly because we have albums that are brand new.

That being said, this is a discussion worth having if people have missed out on what other folks are up to. But things have been posted as forum posts, clips of the week, blogs and tour updates. Either here or at www.StrangeFamous.com

Buck 65 is currently working on a project where he'll be telling stories that he picks out from the emails people send him. We had a forum thread about that, it was tweeted about and put on our facebook page: www.facebook.com/strangefamousrecords

Recently he had an album under the name Bike for Three which we hosted on the front page of www.SFRstore.com and it sold like hot cakes.

He's hosting a radio show in Toronto right now which is keeping him away from the tour circuit at the moment.

2MEX just finished a full national tour which we posted about on this forum, the twitter pages and the facebook page and myspace page. The info was also listed in our tour section of www.StrangeFamous.com

He's been working on his solo album for the past 2 years. We originally intended on having this released in July but since it hasn't been turned in yet it's more likely that this will be a fall release. I'm not entirely sure what the full plan is with that, but as you can expect he has a gang of songs under his belt.

Cecil Otter recently did the north east tour with me, B. Dolan and Sleep. Then, more recently, he did the north west tour with B. Dolan and Sleep.

He's going to be performing at Soundset this year with the rest of the Doomtree crew.

Cecil has been working on his follow-up album to Rebel Yellow for 2 years now. He takes a lot of time and care when crafting songs so there's no telling when this will be turned in or released.

Sleep of Oldominion had the "Hesitation Wounds" release last year. We had his album info and banner on our websites for about 5 months straight. If not more. He's done multiple tours and he's currently on tour right now (which we recently posted about in the tour section of www.StrangeFamous.com)

He had a few performances at SXSW this year, one performance which I had to the pleasure to see on the last day of SXSW. Incredible stuff, live crowd. Great way to end my trip to Austin.

Sleep is always working on material but there's no telling when his next SFR release will be. He's done some more work with the Chicharones but that's not something we plan on releasing.

We recently picked up his Riot By Candlelight CD (which was his first release) and we had it as a front page article. The product page is here: http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/sleep-riot-by-candlelight-cd-p-378.html

Prolyphic has been working on songs with Buddy Peace. Two of which we posted on the front page of www.StrangeFamous.com as free downloads within the past couple months.

Apparently he just got engaged, which I only know about because of his twitter message today. He doesn't tweet much and he's hardly ever online so I don't know for sure what he's got in the works. He has mentioned that he's working on a video for Artist Goes Pop and another video which I'd love to see at some point. He did the video for PFA's "Bike Song" and he helped put together the B. Dolan "Marvin" live video edit.

Prayers for Atheists have done two national, self-booked tours since their EP release. Jared Paul is currently booking their next tour.

PFA was nominated in the Providence Phoenix "Best of" Awards which we had a thread about and posted about via various channels.

Jared Paul is featured on Sole's "Nuclear Winter" mixtape as well as the Metermaids EP. Both items have been discussed here and offered as free downloads.

I'm really busy right now and I'm sure I missed stuff but I can continue on at another time if people have any questions. Otherwise, I'll step out of this convo and let the folks talk about the artists I listed and the ones I didn't. There's tons going on. Crazy crazy.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:54 pm
adic

Sleep - Christopher

probably the most slept on album ever, foreal... get it if u don't got it...

CD (with bonus tracks) here:
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/sleep-christopher-bonus-tracks-cd-p-121.html

Digital album (with bonus tracks) here:
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/sleep-christopher-bonus-tracks-mp3-download-p-161.html
Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:29 pm
AdamBomb

I'd really like to know what's going on with Reanimator. Of the SFR affiliates, I probably know about him the least. For as many years as I have been aware of him, I'm surprised he doesn't actually have a bigger catalogue of releases. The guy is a beast, for sure.

Reanny, where are youuu?
Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

AdamBomb wrote:
I'd really like to know what's going on with Reanimator. Of the SFR affiliates, I probably know about him the least. For as many years as I have been aware of him, I'm surprised he doesn't actually have a bigger catalogue of releases. The guy is a beast, for sure.

Reanny, where are youuu?

He doesn't really use the internet much. He's married and has a beautiful baby girl. He also has a career outside of music and considering his home situation I'm GUESSING we won't be hearing too much new music from him any time soon. He first released the "Music to Slit Wrists By" album which we re-released fairly recently. It's an amazing instrumental album that is criminally underrated. It's been rated pretty high by those who've heard it, but still criminally underrated. He's one of the most versatile and interesting indie-hop producers in the past decade. A traditionalist in many ways, but also innovative and fresh in the way he builds tracks.

The production he did on "The Ugly Truth" is outstanding. It almost feels like that's the album where he pulled out all the stops. But he then offered up some great beats for my Sick of Wasting CD. Since then I haven't heard from him much, but it looks like he's taking care of his family and living a very happy and fulfilling life. Color me jealous.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:08 pm
OM3N

I have been digging Sleep lately.

This song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaQThSzTIqM&feature=PlayList&p=74E31AAB18EA1A9F&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=41
Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:30 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Zip zoop.

I don't like everything this guy does, but this song gets me.

Especially the very end bit at around 3 minutes. Goose bumples
Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:34 pm
AdamBomb

Sage Francis wrote:
AdamBomb wrote:

Reanny, where are youuu?

He doesn't really use the internet much. He's married and has a beautiful baby girl. He also has a career outside of music and considering his home situation I'm GUESSING we won't be hearing too much new music from him any time soon. He first released the "Music to Slit Wrists By" album which we re-released fairly recently. It's an amazing instrumental album that is criminally underrated. It's been rated pretty high by those who've heard it, but still criminally underrated. He's one of the most versatile and interesting indie-hop producers in the past decade. A traditionalist in many ways, but also innovative and fresh in the way he builds tracks.

The production he did on "The Ugly Truth" is outstanding. It almost feels like that's the album where he pulled out all the stops. But he then offered up some great beats for my Sick of Wasting CD. Since then I haven't heard from him much, but it looks like he's taking care of his family and living a very happy and fulfilling life. Color me jealous.

God dammit. That kids gotta go to college, someday. Reanimator, get on the horn and call Sage. Music 2 Slit Wrists by II:Reopening Old Wounds. We can make this work.

Truthfully, I was pretty impressed with that Music to Slit Wrists By and the various remixes, but the beats he did for Prolyphic were first class. It was solidified for me when I saw that video of glipses of his studio. Love the fact he plays a lot of vintage instruments where you can't even discern what is a sample. He's a lot more gifted than a lot of the hacks who are trying to be a 2nd rate DJ Shadow.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:35 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Music doesn't put kids through college. Not in this day and age, not in the indie scene. Not unless you hit the underground lotto. And really, I see too many people holding out for those numbers to hit. It ain't gonna happen. There comes a time when people need to focus on securing a steady income for their family and it seems Reanimator has always known that. He made music in his spare time while he maintained a steady job. If people bought more music it might be a different situation and maybe we'd get more material out of him, but you know...it is what it is. We're at where we're at. There's no changing it apparently.

But this part you got absolutely right:

"He's a lot more gifted than a lot of the hacks who are trying to be a 2nd rate DJ Shadow."

Oh, and let's not forget the remix he did for B. Dolan's "50 Ways to Bleed Your Customer" song. Good Lawd. So motherfucking hot.

I'm listening to it right now and wondering how this shit slipped my mind. It's nasty as fuck. Such a talented cat.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:41 pm
adic

Reanimator has been steady impressive for years now... the production on the ugly truth album was top notch... hope dude keeps making music when he can...

What remix was it that had the straight 80's vibe? slow down Ghandia maybe? wish I would have saved it...
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:29 am
adic

</object>
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:33 am
smake

Nice to see some talk about other great artists on the SFR roster. As said, it's more than normal that B. Dolan and Sage are featured more when they have new records out or soon to be released. That said, it's nice to discuss some of the others, so here goes:

Prolyphic & Reanimator's The Ugly Truth is one of my favorite hiphop records ever, it is simply amazing. Such great beats and Prolyphic's lyrics are very on point. Survived Another Winter is one of the best posse cuts I know, everyone on that track is just amazing. Can't wait to hear more from both of them and I suggest you check out "Fake Limps" from Prolyphic with SeezMics I think, great track from late last year. Reanimator's remix of B. Dolan's 50 Ways.. was awesome too.

Cecil Otter's Rebel Yellow is a nice record and there are some great tracks on there, especially the sonic landscapes the man creates. Sufficiently Breathless is fantastic and Travelling Dunktank with P.O.S. is a banger.

Sleep's Hesitation Wounds is a nice contiuation of his work. I also suggest Christopher with "So Tired" on it, that is an amazing track (and if someone knows the lyrics to it, I am dying to find out how the chorus goes).

Those are my favorite artists from the SFR roster besides Sage and B. Dolan and I hope to hear more from them this year too. Especially Prolyphic and Reanimator.

Also, that Bike for Three record was pretty good, some really strange electronic beats but it worked well. Nightdriving is a great track.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:30 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next