Search
Register
LI(F)E - CDs, vinyl, t-shirts, hoodies & more!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

subsketch

Must say i felt a little cheated to find the album yesterday at my local chain store before my preorder arrived. Luckily the album is outstanding so i dont mind buying it twice. Obviously i understand there are limits to your control when it comes to wak stores that ignore release dates.

Last edited by subsketch on Sat May 08, 2010 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri May 07, 2010 7:31 pm
subsketch

oh and also, a live dvd of these songs would be incredible.
Post Fri May 07, 2010 7:32 pm
EatTheMeek

subsketch wrote:
Must say i felt a little cheated to find the album yesterday at my local chain store before my preorder arrived. Luckily the album is outstanding so i dont mind buying it twice. Obviously i understand there are limits to your control when it comes to wak stores that ignore release dates.

Wanted to bump this. I just need to rant a little about how ridiculous this is. I understand what a big undertaking mailing out all these orders must be, but I'm leaving on a big trip early tomorrow, and still not receiving the album four days after it's been released, especially when I paid more for the express shipping, seems like something I'm justified in being upset over. My order status currently says the album was mailed on May 12, the day after the general release. Contacted the support e-mail and got a general response about how it takes a while to mail everything and there was a large volume of orders. I wouldn't have pre ordered the album a month beforehand if it was going to be shipped after I could already buy at a store down the road. I thought I was doing the label a solid by ordering directly from them. Now I just feel burned. Probably won't make that mistake again.
Post Fri May 14, 2010 3:28 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

im still waiting for my pre-order too

little houdini is the best track on this

16 bars is my favorite track

Polterzeitgeist is classic sage

sage i read you dont wanna do a remix project for this but in my opinion its makes the most sense for this album to be remixed since its all band music and not already "beats" you know? give it some more thought i think it could be a very interesting result
Post Fri May 14, 2010 3:55 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

What's this about paying express shipping? We don't offer express shipping? I can understand the frustration in not receiving the album 4 days after its been released. Storm and the others are continuing to plug away and get the orders out as fast as humanly possible. Epitaph waited for the manufacturer to deliver the albums to them, we waited for Epitaph to deliver the albums to us, we then had to spend 2 to 3 days unwrapping shit and signing it before items were sent out in bulk. I know that most people have received their albums by this point. If you want something special in your LI(F)E package to compensate for your troubles then email customerservice@strangefamousrecords.com and you'll be serviced quite well. Include your name, address and forum name.

Last edited by Sage Francis on Mon May 17, 2010 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri May 14, 2010 6:08 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

That applies only IF your order hasn't been processed and shipped already.
Post Fri May 14, 2010 6:28 pm
headcase

i think is by far the best album Sage has ever made!!! The lyrics and his delivery are on point. The production is outstanding. I love the honesty he comes with on every album. That is what draws me to him as an artist.

I just read the descriptions of the songs and MOST of them did not resemble what i got out of the songs, but that's the beauty of art. I see a lot of spiritual struggles which weren't mentioned, but that's probably because that's where i'm at right now.

My favorite songs are little houdini, three sheets to the wind, and best of times, but i really love all of them.

i'll see ya next week sage in chicago. i can't wait
Post Fri May 14, 2010 8:30 pm
Dr Sagacious

My buddy (who will be going with me to the Detroit show), said the same thing. That this is the most subtle, and honest album Sage has made. Less tongue-in-cheek.

I cannot stop listening to this album, this is by far his best work, and well worth the wait. I don't give a shit if I'm being a fanboy, this album is fucking incredible, and smashes the shit outta everything.

I remember a couple months ago when Pitchfork leaked the "Indie artists" bit, that someone was saying this was gimmicky and not a good idea.

WRONG!
Post Fri May 14, 2010 8:56 pm
al(phonic)

this album is amazing. fear not, buy it. all things considered, its mr francis' best album. going out on top with a very ballsy move, and a beautiful album

my friend and i went to the midnight opening for it this past monday, then went on a hour and a half ride cranking it. it hasnt stopped playing. i cant turn it up loud enough. i smile like a proud parent and get choked up like a little girl

i read the lyrics along with the album playing and just shook my head the whole time. the wordplay is through the roof. still rhyming a lot, but not letting it get in the way of images and pertinent wordplay. its all really still sage, but its somehow just better. all growed up or something

favorites? little houdini, love the lie, the baby stays, most of them. slow man is my jam though, its like i wrote the lyrics

thank you for your efforts sage, much appreciated
Post Sat May 15, 2010 12:13 pm
MYOWNCLICHE

Sage Francis wrote:
That was the type of dumb typo I make when I text and drive. I CAN understand. 1 dimerit on my texting-while-driving license please.

Put that shit down when you drive!!!!
Post Sat May 15, 2010 2:35 pm
Jack

Unfortunately I have listened to this album non-stop for 5 days I am wearing it out. I can't put it down :(
Post Sat May 15, 2010 3:37 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

hiphopsite review:

http://www.hiphopsite.com/2010/05/15/sage-francis-life-review-sticky/

@@@@

There are a lot of people trying to do what Sage Francis does really well. One of the fundamental problems with the indie hip-hop movement was that it allowed anyone with a computer to attempt to make a name for themselves. Granted, this problem runs rampant in commercial hip-hop as well, but the underground was supposed to be a safe haven for fans who were sick of poor quality music being marketed as hip-hop. Where the problem lied, is that so many internet wierdoes came crawling out of the woodworks, that artists like Sage got negatively lumped in with the rest of them. The uninformed, untrained ear could not differentiate between an artist like Sage – who has a wealth of talent – and fifty other “artists” trying to be like him. This had a negative effect on the whole scene, killing it in the process. Suddenly, the term “backpacker” was looked at as a scarlet letter, not the legacy of Buckshot Shorty. That being said, Sage’s new LP Li(f)e is so against the grain of traditional hip-hop, yet still blindingly brilliant, that it’s going to make a whole bunch of people afraid to like it. We’re here to tell you that it’s okay.

The title of Sage’s fourth LP suggests his entire life has been a lie, and he seems to apply much of the reasoning due to organized religion. The Shepard Fairey commissioned album cover shows Sage illuminated in a golden light, from distance appearing as the visage of Christ himself; but a closer look finds Sage in the crosshairs, burning alive. The album starts with “Little Houdini”, but kicks into high gear on “Three Sheets To The Wind”, an uptempo, indie rock firestarter that finds Sage teaming with Death Cab guitarist Christopher Walla, trading rhymes and sung vocals in perhaps his best adaptation to the genre yet. “I Was Zero” is a little more closer to his older style, as he demonstrates incredible wordplay with clever double entrendres, while lambasting his apparent religious upbringing. This sentiment continues throughout much of the record, with words that many would cry as sacrilege, but Sage is indifferent as he speaks to an entity he believes isn’t there. “Diamonds and Pearls” is the most venomous track, as he feels decieved, but suggests “I ain’t mad at you / that’s the only miracle here.” Again on “Polterzeitgiest”, he weaves some of the album’s most poetical greatness, as he comes to terms with leaving his old system of beliefs behind.

Sage does venture outside the topic of religion from time to time, but still remains within the realm of his own life and times. “The Baby Stays” is a well written look at birth, where he directs an incredibly vivid short film on the topic, perhaps questioning his own existence in the process. This leads directly into “16 Years”, a gloomy, hypnotic track that finds him visiting some of these same themes, years later. But the album’s crown jewel, and perhaps the greatest accomplishment of his career thus far, as “The Best Of Times”. Here, Sage pens perhaps his most personal journal entry yet, over awe-inspiring production from French composer Yann Tierson, using his knack for intricate wordplay and animated visuals to keep the listener hanging off his every word. You’ll quickly forget that this song has no “boom-bap” by the end of it.

Interestingly, he does not delve too deeply into the political landscape this time around. However it’s pretty obvious where he stands, as many of these themes are juxtaposed within his overview of religion, making it unnecessary. Yet with today’s hot political climate, there are so many easy targets to fire at, we can only assume his uzi weighs a ton. Next album, maybe?

All in all, this may very well be the best LP of Sage’s career. He’s pulled back a bit from the over-experimental, making it easier to grasp exactly what he’s talking about. He’s shown us yet another side to his music, without sacrificing it’s integrity in any fashion. He’s learned to flawlessly combine the classic poetics of hip-hop with the fuller production of indie rock, never once does it sound forced. However listeners must be open to both genres before attempting to undertake Sage’s Li(f)e. That being said, if you can’t get down with the sounds of indie rock, this one will fly right over your head. Everyone else, all aboard.
Post Sat May 15, 2010 4:26 pm
futuristxen

Got mine today. I didn't pay for express shipping or anything, because I know how the post office works, and most of the time you can get it through the normal mail pretty close to the same amount of days it takes for the other, while saving some money. The only time I do the two day shipping is if it's an emergency, but I had a bunch of albums come in this week to listen to, so this came at the perfect time.

Haven't gotten to listen to it yet. But am excited to do so.
Post Sat May 15, 2010 6:47 pm
EatTheMeek

Sage Francis wrote:
What's this about paying express shipping? We don't offer express shipping? I can't understand the frustration in not receiving the album 4 days after its been released. Storm and the others are continuing to plug away and get the orders out as fast as humanly possible. Epitaph waited for the manufacturer to deliver the albums to them, we waited for Epitaph to deliver the albums to us, we then had to spend 2 to 3 days unwrapping shit and signing it before items were sent out in bulk. I know that most people have received their albums by this point. If you want something special in your LI(F)E package to compensate for your troubles then email customerservice@strangefamousrecords.com and you'll be serviced quite well. Include your name, address and forum name.

I'm sorry if that post came off wrong. I didn't write it as a insult to the sfr team or a ploy to get some free stuff. I really just wrote it because I've been looking forward to the album for a while, and wanted to lament with some people who probably feel the same way. In lieu of coming off any more of an ass than I probably already have, so I'll quit posting about this and hope to see a package when I get back home in a few weeks. Sad part is, I'm in Rhode Island right now, I could have picked it up myself!

Btw, according to my invoice, I paid extra for 2/3 day "Priority" (not "express") mail shipping. I think the other option was standard 2-5 day "First Class" mail. Typo on my part.
Post Sat May 15, 2010 8:08 pm
Szechwan

Yep, no deluxe pre-order for me yet either.
Post Sat May 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next